Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80MPH Shake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal after the car has been sitting a week or so to develop a shake at interstate speeds? It seems to happen around 80-83 then goes away above or below that range. Just want to make sure no one else has had the problem, and it just went away after driving the car.

A car that has been sitting a while can develop temporary, minor deformations of the tires, sometimes referred to as "flat spots". I had this happen to a car that sat for probably 3 weeks, not sure one week would be long enough to do it though. If that is the case, it should go away fairly quickly as the car is used. Other than that, beats me...

Not normal. Was there possibly mud caked on the inside of the wheels? This makes them imbalanced, leading to vibration at certain speeds that you can really feel in the steering wheel.

I could feel it in the wheel, and noticed the passenger seat shaking pretty bad as well. There shouldnt have been mud or anything caked in the rims but ill check either way.

Is it normal after the car has been sitting a week or so to develop a shake at interstate speeds? It seems to happen around 80-83 then goes away above or below that range. Just want to make sure no one else has had the problem, and it just went away after driving the car.

May be a temporary flat spot, but if the tires were inflated correctly at 45-50psi, it shouldn't develop that quickly... Nevertheless, if it doesn't go away after a few days, definitely bring in for a rebalance. Any reputable tire shop will do... Tesla Service would be overkill for this job.

For everyone suggesting wheel balancing: why would the vibration go away for the OP at higher speeds (above 83) as he indicates it does if the wheels needed balancing? Wouldn't the vibration just get worse at higher speeds?

For everyone suggesting wheel balancing: why would the vibration go away for the OP at higher speeds (above 83) as he indicates it does if the wheels needed balancing? Wouldn't the vibration just get worse at higher speeds?

I had a wheel balance issues on another car, but the problem only exhibited itself when applying the brake. At normal cruising speed, there was no indication of an issue. I felt the shaking/vibration in the steering column.

I had a wheel balance issues on another car, but the problem only exhibited itself when applying the brake. At normal cruising speed, there was no indication of an issue. I felt the shaking/vibration in the steering column.

I've heard of that too.

But the OP said he has his vibration from 80-83 MPH, but then above 83 MPH it goes away. I didn't think if a wheel was out of balance such that you would feel a vibration at speed, that the vibration could go away at a higher speed. I could be wrong, which is why I asked. Or perhaps the people who suggested it might be an out of balance wheel missed the part about the vibration going away at higher speeds. I'm honestly not sure, which is why I asked.

I've heard of that too.

But the OP said he has his vibration from 80-83 MPH, but then above 83 MPH it goes away. I didn't think if a wheel was out of balance such that you would feel a vibration at speed, that the vibration could go away at a higher speed. I could be wrong, which is why I asked. Or perhaps the people who suggested it might be an out of balance wheel missed the part about the vibration going away at higher speeds. I'm honestly not sure, which is why I asked.

It sounds to me like OP may be hitting a resonance frequency in the 80-83 MPH range that is causing feedback.

Majerus, I might ask Tesla Service to perform a thorough inspection of all your suspension components and bolts.

A wheel that is slightly out of round can still be balanced. It's always good to have a spare, or 4, to rotate out, one by one, until you've found the offender. I once had a 19" wheel Tesla could balance, but that I could still isolate out at exactly the 75-80mph zone. I feel your pain.

MAJERUS:
I had a similar issue on a Lexus SC400. Began to vibrate at about 65 MPH to 70 MPH then would smooth out under or over that speed.
Come to find out the problem was a mildly bent rim.
I was running D+2 rims (oversized rims by 2") and the thin tire sidewall did not protect the rim.

When I ask why this only occurred at the 65 to 70 MPH band, the tire tech told me that probably at that speed the resonance of the wheel's bend and resulting wobble began to
"show up" at those revolutions. I had to have the rim straightened out at a rim repair shop. A pretty expensive proposition.
I hope you only perhaps threw a wheel weight and you do not have the same situation as I had.

Mine was in the driver's side front BTW... very easily felt in the steering wheel but you could not tell which wheel.
They used a HUNTER tire spinner to find the wheel causing the problem. You could see the minute wobble visually.

Art

Because of resonance. Mechanical systems have certain resonant frequencies in which, if vibrations occur at those frequencies, can cause intense shaking--enough to destroy the system in some cases.

Famous examples of this phenomenon:
Tacoma Narrows Bridge (not true resonance, but a similar phenomenon).

Anecdote: I had a lot of mud caked on the inside of my wheels last year. (Had done a little driving on a dirt/gravel road soon after a rainstorm). I first noticed it when I got on the highway. There was a 5-10 mph range where there was intense shaking in the car--but I didn't notice anything unusual at any other speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
check the lug nuts for tightness

Very good advice.

Also, in the many years of driving I have run into three other issues. They are rare but did happen to me....

1) On a Chrysler 300M 1999, we had a front disc caliper freeze in the closed position. At 55MPH we encountered a horrendous front end wobble.
Not at lower or higher speeds. This was caused by the break pads being frozen in the closed position.

2) On a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, a front disc threw a balancing weight. At 45 and at 85+ MPH the front end would have a very mild wobble.
The vented disc has heavy wire weights added to the vent fin(s) at the factory to balance the disc.
One of these apparently worked its way free causing the disk to become unbalanced. In this particular case, the entire rotating assembly
became unbalanced and the fix was to replace the disc and hub bearings.

3) On my Jensen Interceptor 1973, a front radial tire had a radial belt delaminate which caused the front tire to have a wobble at 20 MPH and above.
Horrendous ride quality. Easily found and fixed. Was covered under warranty.

Again, the above three causes are very rare but they did indeed happen to my cars.

Just goes to show you that a lot of things can cause this.... Checking the lugs is really easy to do. And the least costly as well.

Hi all , my MX 2016 is killing me , light vibration in everywhere in the car steering wheel sets, floor everywhere, start at 80 and above and still there to the mX speed , I changed 3 set of wheels original brand new and the 3 st of tires top for the line and still the vibration on !!!! I heated the car completely, any advice?