TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

84 year old grandmother very disappointed...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Motopharmer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Motopharmer

Motopharmer New Member

My 84 yo mother decided to order a Tesla Model 3. She went down and test drove one...loved it, and went home to order on line. She was assured by the salesman that she would receive it by 12/31/19, and was excited, because she would be able to take advantage of the tax incentive...and she was looking forward to her new red Tesla! Her first electric car!
    On 12/26 she received a confirmation that she could pickup her car on 12/30 at 6pm in Buena Park. She then proceeded to sell her car in anticipation of receiving her new Tesla! ..and she arranged for friends and family to accompany her to pick up her new car IMG_20191230_182900_283.jpg .
    A day or two before her scheduled delivery date, she received a call that her car would not be arriving as promised, and that there was no ETA!
    What the heck Tesla!??? How can you treat a new customer like this, especially an 84 yo grandmother!???
    Very...very disappointed.

• Disagree x 13
  2. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Tell grandma she is next to a Model X. The Model 3 is the one low to the ground that is hard for older people to get in and out of.

Nice 1st post BTW.

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 2
  3. Mr. Burrito

Mr. Burrito Member

Because everyone and their grandmother ordered a model 3 in the last two months to try to beat the tax rebate deadline. So surprise - there weren’t enough cars for everyone. Tesla’s fault?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  4. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I'm............................................................................. not sure :(

• Funny x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  5. PowerBankT

PowerBankT Member

this checks out

• Funny x 2
  6. starboarder

starboarder Member

They really should tell you not to sell your car until taking delivery. I trusted their estimate and sold my car and ended up without a car for 3 months without an ETA, all so they could ship cars overseas to make more profit.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, people don't come here before buying, otherwise they would know not to rely on anything Tesla tells them, including delivery dates.

Sorry OP. your grandmother wasn't the first and she won't be the last.

8. Matt L

Matt L Active Member

I’m sure Tesla considers age, sex, and family tree when they cancel orders.

BTW, nice first post...FUD

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Lots of people just lurk and then join when they have a problem. Grandmother is irrelevant, a bunch of people have reported canceled end-of-year deliveries.

• Funny x 1
  10. lkstaack

lkstaack Member

Tesla apparently lacks the software to track current and future production. Maybe they should hire some college interns to write it for them.

• Disagree x 1
  11. VQTRVA

VQTRVA Member

My 80- year old mother had nothing but a great order/delivery experience for her M.3.

I'm pretty sure they were specifically picking on your family....

*Nice* 1st post btw x2.

• Funny x 1
  12. xyxx

xyxx Member

smiling old ladys standing next to 100k cars get no love around here

• Informative x 1
  13. 640k

640k Member

or they've taken a few pages from the airline industry and overbook in the event of cancellations. what i fail to reason is how there seem to be so many on the lots for immediately delivery, yet online/custom orders still seem to fall to the wayside.

ibtl.

• Disagree x 1
  14. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

nah, the interns were all busy designing the model X (I actually heard that from a former tesla employee, fwiw!)

15. jboy210

#15 jboy210, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Seems many of the cars on the lot and available for immediate delivery are the $50,000+ LR or more expensive Performance models. And a lot the cars not being shipped are the $39,000 SR+. So it is not always like for like. Because if it was, I am sure people with delayed cars would drive a few miles and pick up the inventory cars.

• Like x 1
  16. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

Makes me wonder why people are buying the last week of December.

17. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Huh, given the photo is date stamped December 30th at 6:29 pm, she seems pretty happy despite the cancellation that would have occurred a day or two prior.
    IMG_20191230_182900_283.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  18. jboy210

#18 jboy210, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Maybe they are giving her an X instead of a 3!

At least she will be able to get in and out of an X. And the doors will open automatically when she walks up, and close automatically when she puts it in reverse or drive. And is she rides in the back, the Falcon Wing doors open like a boss and shield you from that nasty rain or sun.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

Pretty bright for 6:30pm. Would't be in my area.

• Like x 1
  20. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Huh, good point. Sunset in Bruna park, CA is 4:53 tonight.