Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

84mo 3.24% option listed in Tesla Lending page now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a Reddit article saying that the Model X loan numbers on the customization page say 96-month 3.9% APR loan. I don't see that on the Tesla lending page, but it lists 84-month 3.24% APR now in addition to the others.

However, the monthly payment reduction is really minimal - less than $20/mo for a stock S90D - so I don't know what reason there would be to pick it.

Sounds like you've got same schedule I do. I have mid aug - early september. However Tesla said they'll work with me and help start the loan before delivery if need be.
I called Lightstream yesterday and all you need to do to get them to do their rate beat program is to apply for a loan and then send them the approval letter from the current lender that has already approved you. Depending on your credit and personal finances Lightstream will either give you a secured or unsecured loan offer than is .1% better than your current offer. If it's unsecured you can take the check now and just hold on to the money until the car is ready.

I called Lightstream yesterday and all you need to do to get them to do their rate beat program is to apply for a loan and then send them the approval letter from the current lender that has already approved you. Depending on your credit and personal finances Lightstream will either give you a secured or unsecured loan offer than is .1% better than your current offer. If it's unsecured you can take the check now and just hold on to the money until the car is ready.

What? I'm going to have to look into Lightstream.

Why not? As long as the interest rate does not go nutty, you might as well keep the payment as low as possible. You can always pay more if you want to.
Because you pay a lot more in interest. If you look at a 60 month loan at 1.99% on a $100k car and compare it to an 84 months loan at 2.99% on the same $100k car, you paid almost $6k more in interest over the life of the loan (if both have the same APR, 2.99%, but different length, you pay $3k more over the life of the loan).

Also, it means your car is upside down longer. So if you want to sell while on a 36-month loan, you can do so pretty much anytime. If you want to sell while on a 60-month loan, you can do so later on into the loan. If you want to sell while on an 84-month loan, you probably need to wait 4-6 years because you have any equity in your car.

I get your perspective, and I've done that on several loans (taken a slightly higher APR for a longer term loan, but made sure I paid a lot more into it monthly). And when I lost my job, I just reduced the payments to the minimum and we were fine. But if you don't do the last step (making sure you're paying more into it), I named 2 reasons above, off the top of my head, as to why not to get such a long loan.

I get your perspective, and I've done that on several loans (taken a slightly higher APR for a longer term loan, but made sure I paid a lot more into it monthly). And when I lost my job, I just reduced the payments to the minimum and we were fine. But if you don't do the last step (making sure you're paying more into it), I named 2 reasons above, off the top of my head, as to why not to get such a long loan.
That was my point. Take the lower payment but make the larger one. That way if life happens you are not in so much of a bind.

Reactions: Jurnimon and Max*