Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85 kWh battery removed from design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will make the changes to the Options Wiki right now... Looks like the change in Canada's Design Studio was a trial run of sorts.
I wonder how this effects overall costs with he 85 line being eliminated?

I suspect that logistically and contractually, the cells used in the 85 had to run out as the newer 90 cell production and availability ramped up.
Remember how Intel used to do this with CPU chips?

Last edited:
I will make the changes to the Options Wiki right now... Looks like the change in Canada's Design Studio was a trial run of sorts.
I wonder how this effects overall costs with he 85 line being eliminated?
I think it bumps up the profits on the higher end line. They basically just bumped up the cost by $3k.

Sucks that if you want a usable frunk and have no need for AWD you're stuck with the smaller battery though.

While I understand the reasoning behind not offering an 85 and a 90 battery, I am surprised and disappointed that Tesla no longer offers an RWD 90. Those who want significantly more range than the $70K RWD 70 (230 miles, 240 miles for the 70D) must now spend a minimum of $88K on a 90D (288 miles). That's a big jump in price.
Sucks that if you want a usable frunk and have no need for AWD you're stuck with the smaller battery though.
Agreed.

No more RWD option either. Now if you want more than a 70 kwh battery, it will cost you $8,000 more. Starting price is $88,000 for anything above the 70 kwh choice.
The RWD 70 remains the base Model S configuration, for $70K.
If you want a bigger battery, the 90 is only available as a Dual Motor and it starts at $88K. So it is $18K more.

Knew this was going to happen once Canada started. A tesla rep in Lenox Mall (Atl) mentioned since the 85 and 90 are so close it only makes sense to remove 85. Now my order is confirmed for a 85D! Now would it be wise to change my configuration? I was having doubts about he extra 10k was really worth it (mainly) for the extra 30 or so miles. There are other obvious benefits to the larger battery.

I think it bumps up the profits on the higher end line. They basically just bumped up the cost by $3k.

It's a price increase. Good for margins, but does not support the trend toward more innovation at lower price points. In fact, the Model S Performance editions has had yearly price increases.

P85 ~> P85+ (More) ~~> P85D (More) ~~~> P90D and P90DL (More still)

While I understand the reasoning behind not offering an 85 and a 90 battery, I am surprised and disappointed that Tesla no longer offers an RWD 90. Those who want significantly more range than the $70K RWD 70 (230 miles, 240 miles for the 70D) must now spend a minimum of $88K on a 90D (288 miles). That's a big jump in price. Agreed.

Agreed here, too. I don't particularly need or want AWD. Would rather not pay for it, and definitely would rather not lose the storage up front.

I'm just going to put my two cents in, annoy a bunch of people, then go back to what I'm supposed to be doing today.

Tesla STARTED with the 40, 60 and 85 kWh batteries. They've now evolved to the 70 and 90 kWh versions. I don't see anything wrong with this. Electronics makers upgrade their offerings all the time and cell phone manufacturers don't keep a model around longer than a year or two. You're really in love with a specific model that's been discontinued, then private resellers can probably hook you up. CPO options abound for MS's.

If I was buying a new car today, and more specifically a Model S, I wouldn't be looking at a 40 or 60. And while the difference between an 85 and a 90 may attract me to the 85 more, throw in the AWD config and I don't blame Tesla for trying to streamline their production queue. Down the road when the 90's being phased out for something bigger, we'll be having the same discussion. And maybe the 70's phased out eventually too for something bigger (welcome back the "Classic 85"!).

I appreciate that Tesla continuously upgrades both their hardware and software platforms and isn't constrained by "Model Year" nomenclature. I think it makes all of our cars more valuable, especially those of us with increasingly rarer unicorns. Happy to drive what I've got now, I'm sure it would be more fun to have autopilot capability, but not looking to upgrade just yet. They're not doing this in a vacuum; they have metrics. Let's give them credit for that.

I'm just going to put my two cents in, annoy a bunch of people, then go back to what I'm supposed to be doing today.

Tesla STARTED with the 40, 60 and 85 kWh batteries. They've now evolved to the 70 and 90 kWh versions. I don't see anything wrong with this. Electronics makers upgrade their offerings all the time and cell phone manufacturers don't keep a model around longer than a year or two. You're really in love with a specific model that's been discontinued, then private resellers can probably hook you up. CPO options abound for MS's.

If I was buying a new car today, and more specifically a Model S, I wouldn't be looking at a 40 or 60. And while the difference between an 85 and a 90 may attract me to the 85 more, throw in the AWD config and I don't blame Tesla for trying to streamline their production queue. Down the road when the 90's being phased out for something bigger, we'll be having the same discussion. And maybe the 70's phased out eventually too for something bigger (welcome back the "Classic 85"!).

I appreciate that Tesla continuously upgrades both their hardware and software platforms and isn't constrained by "Model Year" nomenclature. I think it makes all of our cars more valuable, especially those of us with increasingly rarer unicorns. Happy to drive what I've got now, I'm sure it would be more fun to have autopilot capability, but not looking to upgrade just yet. They're not doing this in a vacuum; they have metrics. Let's give them credit for that.

Well said. We should please pleased Tesla is innovating on battery capacities. No one has yet to actually offer a car with even a 40 kWh battery pack that you can actually buy yet.

I bet this battery option change makes X and S production more streamlined as they now share the same pack.

Hopefully before the year is over we'll see a 300+ mile range battery option.

I think it's mainly to streamline production with the Model X. They probably kept the Model S 70 RWD, because that's the entry level car so the Model S will be quoted as "starting at...". And obviously a lot of people are crunching numbers hard down there and a few thousand could make the difference. At that price it's the question if they buy or not, if they spend more it's probably just about what they get.

Don't mind that they upgrade their cars at all. The difference this time though, is it costs significantly more than before. When they went from 60 to 70, the price stayed the same. Now, to get anything above 70 kwh, will cost you $8,000 more overnight. I have my car, but can see a lot of people that were close to buying, saving their pennies to do so, being very upset that they're forced to spend more money or buy an inferior car or not buy at all. Tesla used to give concessions when they forced you to buy more. Tech package removed and was cheaper with the new options you were forced to get to get the same features. 70 kwh car cost the same as the previous 60 kwh car. Things like that. This time, there are no concessions. They are charging you the $5,000 for dual motors and $3,000 for the battery upgrade exactly as before.

Tesla gave us plenty of hints

Tesla gave us plenty of hints that the 85kWh battery was going bye bye:

Hint 1) They introduced the 90kWh as a small incremental bump for Model S, but was really driven by the impending Model X release. Why have an 85 & 90 option?

Hint 2) Model X launched without a 85 kWh option.

Hint 3) Pulled the 85kWh from Canadian site. Screaming out, "Last call for anyone who wants an 85 in the US!"

I wouldn't be surprised to see the RWD 70 get dropped as we get closer to Model 3
As much as I didn't expect it they may be adding some price gap into the upcoming range so there is more room for M3 pricing to grow for more optioned versions

I'm not surprised they cut the 85kWh (cutting 60 kWh was a preview of that), but I am surprised they cut the RWD 90kWh.

Probably due to lack of demand. At that price point with AWD you get better traction in rain, snow, or even dry pavement as well as better acceleration and range. Also they probably don't want to deal with the RWD 90s that will come back as CPO cars as those cars are going to be really difficult to sell when for a little bit more you can buy one with AWD.

I realize some people don't care for AWD but in this price segment many consider AWD a must. This is the reason that so many other premium car manufacturers have pretty much stopped offering AWD for the most part and the performance versions always come with AWD. I doubt they would have discontinued RWD 90 if there was much demand.

Don't mind that they upgrade their cars at all. The difference this time though, is it costs significantly more than before. When they went from 60 to 70, the price stayed the same. Now, to get anything above 70 kwh, will cost you $8,000 more overnight. I have my car, but can see a lot of people that were close to buying, saving their pennies to do so, being very upset that they're forced to spend more money or buy an inferior car or not buy at all. Tesla used to give concessions when they forced you to buy more. Tech package removed and was cheaper with the new options you were forced to get to get the same features. 70 kwh car cost the same as the previous 60 kwh car. Things like that. This time, there are no concessions. They are charging you the $5,000 for dual motors and $3,000 for the battery upgrade exactly as before.

While I understand your point, I think Tesla can't satisfy both side of the camp at the same time. If Tesla keep 90 the same price as 85, the existing 85 owners will be screaming that their car just depreciated for no reason, or they should get the 90 battery as a free upgrade for all the recent 85 purchases.