Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to place my order with just one decision remaining (assuming I stay with Black and don't bounce back to Pearl White!). If it's more of a question of value given the driving environment (Arizona, no extreme weather) and not necessarily affordability, do you think the $5k is worth it for the dual motor AWD? Should it be a no brainer for resale if nothing else? I'm new to the forums and can say the information here has been a big help in trying to make all of these decisions. Thanks.

I got the AWD because I thought the efficiency gains may be worth it, and even though our weather here in the Valley of the Sun is very calm 350 or more days a year, it's very easy to drive from Phoenix to Prescott or Flagstaff or any number of other places where they have real weather.

85 is a very potent daily driver.
You don't need AWD in AZ, so I will vote for the much simpler power plant, larger frunk, and obviously $5,000 lower sticker price. The frunk is MUCH more useful on the 85 than it is on the D.

Having driven the P85D after owning the P85 for more than a year, I think the increased handling when cornering (not that the 2WD is lacking, mind you) is very impressive and easily worth the $5k upgrade were I buying a S85 today. The car feels like it's on rails when cornering.

Last edited:
The car feels like it's on rails when cornering.
And now I'll have visions of Julia Roberts floating through my head the rest of the day.

I can't imagine having a black car in Phoenix. Do you always have something to park under that makes it work? FWIW I agree with @rockster on the handling aspects but that's based on test drives not a lot of real world experience... yet.

I was in the same boat. I figure $2-3k more in resale. For my extra couple thousand I'll not only get 5% improved range but also 5% faster charging, and 5% cheaper refills since we're talking about efficiency (The EPA has it 10% better MPGe highway actually). It's faster and better handling. I just went with it.

There might be some snow driving up here too though.

I'm on the same boat - I'm in Southern California where it's sunny most of the time and hardly rains. For the drivers who own/driven both S85 and S85D, does turning corner on S85 bother you? Never owned an AWD car, does "better cornering" means you can turn much faster on corners, but if you drive slow around corner then it doesn't really matter?

Thanks!

I had an S85 that I traded from an 85D. The 85D is by far the better car. No snow needed. There is a world of difference in handling between the RWD and the AWD. If you can afford the $5k get the 85D.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on the same boat - I'm in Southern California where it's sunny most of the time and hardly rains. For the drivers who own/driven both S85 and S85D, does turning corner on S85 bother you? Never owned an AWD car, does "better cornering" means you can turn much faster on corners, but if you drive slow around corner then it doesn't really matter?

My S85 had understeer situations occur with it (i.e. really depressing the accelerator in a turn would cause the car to want to continue going straight in the direction you were facing when you did that). I haven't had anything like that with the 85D.

I am not sure how widespread it is but there has been several threads commenting on motor whine with the D cars.

The motor whine is very minor. It only happens under acceleration. I actually rather like the noise but if you turn on music or anything you won't even notice it.

The balloon noise that my S85 had when accelerating was much more annoying and noticeable than this noise.

My S85 had understeer situations occur with it (i.e. really depressing the accelerator in a turn would cause the car to want to continue going straight in the direction you were facing when you did that). I haven't had anything like that with the 85D.

Is the understeer a common characteristic of the standard S85, or is it a problem on certain cars that Tesla will have to fix for you?

I think F1 tried AWD and if failed (before it was effectively banned). I've often wondered if KERS would usher in new attempts since the front wheels could be powered electrically. Formula E could be interesting from this standpoint as well.

It's hard to get a real sense of how much better the 85D "handles" by reading about it. But there is a world of difference between the 85 and 85D, it just feels more planted, in all conditions / situations. It's absolutely worth the extra $$$, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

...oh and this may have been my imagination, but the acceleration in the 85D that I test drove this week felt more linear, vs what I remember from a bunch of 85 test drives earlier.