Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 0-60 MPH 4.4s Sport Acceleration confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Build 153

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 2,318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2,145
Awesome! They still have the potential to unlock 92HP, with just firmware! (514HP - 422HP). I bet this do this at some point and it becomes a 3.9 sec car and the P85D becomes a 2.8 sec car.

Even more interesting the 70D has the same motors as the 85D... hmmm

Awesome! They still have the potential to unlock 92HP, with just firmware! (514HP - 422HP). I bet this do this at some point and it becomes a 3.9 sec car and the P85D becomes a 2.8 sec car.

Even more interesting the 70D has the same motors as the 85D... hmmm
Not necessarily, it depends on the inverters.
for the 70D the limitong factor is probably the battery output.
point is, itcomes down to more than which motor is where...

I'm not saying it won't do it, but you can't use your iPhone to accurately test.... might actually be quicker, 1ft rollout,etc... need someone to test with a VBOX, if anyone is in south florida I would be happy to test with you...

I'm not saying it won't do it, but you can't use your iPhone to accurately test.... might actually be quicker, 1ft rollout,etc... need someone to test with a VBOX, if anyone is in south florida I would be happy to test with you...

Until then, I am satisfied it can at least do it in 4.4. The iPhone in the picture is just a stop watch. I was recording with iPhone 6 in Super Slo-Mode so I could easily select the frames when I punched it and when it hit 60 exactly. Now the dash meter might be a little slower or whatever but it does it in mid-4s and felt much faster than how it did in the morning before installing the update.

interesting the display shows 315KW=422hp = nominal power.

The P85D, supposedly 515KW = 691hp never appears to show above ~400KW = well short of nominal
Either Tesla overstated the P85D, or there is a lot more to come with that car.

what did it do before the update?

Until then, I am satisfied it can at least do it in 4.4. The iPhone in the picture is just a stop watch. I was recording with iPhone 6 in Super Slo-Mode so I could easily select the frames when I punched it and when it hit 60 exactly. Now the dash meter might be a little slower or whatever but it does it in mid-4s and felt much faster than how it did in the morning before installing the update.

what did it do before the update?

Officially 5.2 and even if it was faster than that in real world, I can feel a lot of difference between how fast my car accelerated this morning before the update and after. I remember telling a passenger that this is how fast my non-P model can go because it wasn't that crazy. With today's update, I know I won't have to say anything... it's easy to feel the G forces.

It's not the phone that's the issue, it's the speedometer readout. If it's not perfectly calibrated (most car speedos read at least a couple mph high at highway speeds to avoid breaking the law) you're getting quite a large margin of error.

It's not the phone that's the issue, it's the speedometer readout. If it's not perfectly calibrated (most car speedos read at least a couple mph high at highway speeds to avoid breaking the law) you're getting quite a large margin of error.

Couple of miles? Here's a different slightly faster run: 9.56 @62 - 5.13 = 4.43 seconds.

IMG_2282.PNG
IMG_2283.PNG

Point being that if it's just a matter of incorrect calibration by a few miles, the differences are still not that great falling somewhere in the 4.4x - 4.5x range

The P85 was actually rated at 476 in Europe, which should be 470 in US, which in turn is the same as the rear engine in the P85D. This makes sense as Tesla is saying P85D rear engine in the same as P85.

North American P85 spec was 416hp when I bought mine, its shown as 420hp here: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has never been advertised as 470hp, its only when then introduced the P85D that the rear motor spec was shown as 470hp, its presumed that its the same motor. The motor's spec might be 470hp from the start but the vehicle itself was rated as 416hp (probably software limitation). My guess is that the increased P85D & P85 acceleration figures (from Elon's tweet) are maybe related to that. Getting the full rear motor's potential for both cars. If true then it would be a nice little power increase for the Classic P85 out there.

North American P85 spec was 416hp when I bought mine, its shown as 420hp here: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has never been advertised as 470hp, its only when then introduced the P85D that the rear motor spec was shown as 470hp, its presumed that its the same motor. The motor's spec might be 470hp from the start but the vehicle itself was rated as 416hp (probably software limitation). My guess is that the increased P85D & P85 acceleration figures (from Elon's tweet) are maybe related to that. Getting the full rear motor's potential for both cars. If true then it would be a nice little power increase for the Classic P85 out there.

I would love for this to happen, if our old P85s have the batteries and wiring for it.

Yes it did say 470 from the start of 2014 when you looked under specs. It said 416 PS and 470 motor power all along.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, almost all the P85 and S85 info has now been taken down, but I was still able to find this, which is identical to what the spec pages was more than a year ago:

http://my.teslamotors.com/node/21926/view