Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 0-60 times 5.2 or 4.4? Tesla CPO site says 5.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
So after the factory tour this weekend, my spouse is seriously interested in a CPO Model S. :eek: The kicker is he wants one with the same performance as my P85 but that has autopilot and dual motors (since he is coming from a AWD Audi S4). Obviously a P85D would do the trick, but those are priced pretty high still.

I have read here many times that the 85D performance is equivalent to the RWD P85, but when you look at the 0-60 times Tesla lists on their CPO website, it shows the 85D approximately a second slower than a P85. A few Google searches indicate ~4.4 might be the actual number and it was "upgraded" at some point by Tesla.

So what is the history here? Are all 85D's capable of 4.4ish or are some slower than that? I see the 90D's are listed at 4.2 seconds and I know some of the 85D's had the 90D batteries, but not all.

Reactions: GSP
I think the CPO site might be mistaken, 5.2 is for the standard 85 aka S85 (RWD). The 85D and even the 90D are stated as 4.2 0-60mph. Getting either of those cars your spouse will enjoy the performance....however, don't expect the performance to be on par with a "P" model even the P85 which is stated at 4.2 but has real world examples in the ~3.8.

The history here is that when the dual motors came out it started with just the Performance model P85D, with the standard 85D following it several months afterwards. In releasing the P85D the 0-60mph was ~3.2, they discontinued the P85/P85+ (RWD) leaving a huge gap between the S85 (RWD) and the P85D, 5.2 vs 3.2. In order to pickup the slack Tesla released the 85D then updated the software to bring it closer to what the P85/+ offered in terms of acceleration stating the 4.2 for the 85D.

In the real world and from my experience, the 85D & 90D have 2 small motors and standard inverter, whereas the P85 has a large rear motor and a bigger inverter to help power to get to that motor faster and provide a stronger acceleration that is noticeable if you drive them back to back. All P models have larger inverters and rear motors which really pushes power to the motor and is noticable in all P models at the 100-150 kwh on the gauge, the acceleration boost at that point is whats missing in the S60/75/85/90....I havent driven the 100D but I assume the same.

In the real world and from my experience, the 85D & 90D have 2 small motors and standard inverter, whereas the P85 has a large rear motor and a bigger inverter to help power to get to that motor faster and provide a stronger acceleration that is noticeable if you drive them back to back. All P models have larger inverters and rear motors which really pushes power to the motor and is noticable in all P models at the 100-150 kwh on the gauge, the acceleration boost at that point is whats missing in the S60/75/85/90....I havent driven the 100D but I assume the same.

This is very helpful, thanks! It's so hard to buy a CPO since you can't test drive the cars back to back like you would at a normal used car at a dealer. So first hand reports are very useful.

This is very helpful, thanks! It's so hard to buy a CPO since you can't test drive the cars back to back like you would at a normal used car at a dealer. So first hand reports are very useful.

some advice while i was shopping, while you cannot test drive a CPO if its not local to you, however you can work with a pre own advisor and they can find you the same model at a local store and you can take a look at that/test drive. when i went to test drive, my local store was able to set me up with a new car test drive and a used P85 back to back as I was cross shopping the two.

• Helpful
some advice while i was shopping, while you cannot test drive a CPO if its not local to you, however you can work with a pre own advisor and they can find you the same model at a local store and you can take a look at that/test drive. when i went to test drive, my local store was able to set me up with a new car test drive and a used P85 back to back as I was cross shopping the two.

Good advice! I did not ask about that when I bought my car, but if they have some loaners on hand, he might be able to compare that way.

Additionally, there's a performance emulator built in to all Teslas. The caveat being you can only emulate downward (e.g. P85D to 85D). So, if there's a P100D, P90D, or P85D at your local store, you should be able to emulate to a 85D.

Some good detail on this feature here:
Tesla vehicles can now emulate other, less powerful models through software

I have a an 85D and have driven a P85+. The performance of the two, in my non-expert opinion, is very similar.

• Informative
Additionally, there's a performance emulator built in to all Teslas. The caveat being you can only emulate downward (e.g. P85D to 85D). So, if there's a P100D, P90D, or P85D at your local store, you should be able to emulate to a 85D.

Some good detail on this feature here:
Tesla vehicles can now emulate other, less powerful models through software

I have a an 85D and have driven a P85+. The performance of the two, in my non-expert opinion, is very similar.
The RWD P85+ seemed a bit squirrelly with all the power in the rear.

The original RWD 85 was specified at 5.4, not 5.2. In real world tests it has been clocked at 4.9. The 85D is specified at 5.2, so is a bit faster than the original 85. Here's the thing: I have friends with a P85 and a P85+ and they need excellent traction in order to beat me in a drag race. I've even beaten the P85 once because his traction control kicked in. OP, as a P85 owner, you probably know how easy it is to trigger traction control in that car. Maybe that's even why your spouse doesn't want one. But the 85D will not have that problem. At any speed, on nearly any surface, you can just mash the pedal and go. Don't be surprised if it regularly beats the P85 no matter what the specs say.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Can confirm, I have professional measuring equipment and with the battery at 80-90% have pulled endless 4.4 and a few at 4.2 seconds to sixty in my 2015 85D.

I too saw that video where the guy was pulling a 3.85 to sixty on the track but I think he was doing that by a camera on his speedometer and measuring it via a stopwatch afterward, not sure it's really so scientific or accurate but it inspired me to try to match it.

I have never broken 4 seconds, maybe it requires your battery to be at 100%?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and LoL Rick
My 85D consistently can do 0-60 in 4.2-4.3 on summer tires, good weather, and >=90% charge.

The original spec for the 85D was 5.2 seconds 0-60, but a software update around June/July 2015 gave us a "Normal/Sport" selection similar to the P85D's "Normal/Insane" selection. The Sport mode at that time gave us the current performance levels, 0-60 in around 4.2-4.4. A subsequent software update removed the Normal/Sport toggle, and the car is now in Sport mode all the time.

I ended up with a Signature S85 for a loaner from the service center, so I let him try the "bottom" end of the Tesla 85kW acceleration spectrum, and he was very pleased with that amount of acceleration. I think an 85D will give the extra oomph close to what my P85 gets and save us some $$ over a P85D.

I think our next stop will be a Tesla store to see if we can test drive something close to an 85D. Also, he needs to try the next gen seats if possible, since those were more common in the 2015s I think.

Let's be clear so we're comparing apples to apples. P85D (Insane, not ludicrios) originally 3.2 seconds. Software update brought that down to 3.1 seconds.

This is WITH the 1 ft rollout so without the 1 ft rollout, add 0.25 to 0.3 seconds. for an actual 3.4 second 0-60.

The 85D's 0-60 was always speced WITHOUT the 1ft rollout so Tesla's 0-60 times between the P85D and 85D were never apples to apples.

The 85D got a major power upgrade with a software only that added sport which brought the speced 0-60 time from 5.2 down to 4.4 seconds.

Before update in early 2015:
Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 11.33.53 PM.png

After update:

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 11.30.33 PM.png

Without the 1 ft rollout, actual 0-60 was 4.2 seconds after this update. So the actual comparison WITH the 1 ft rollout between the two after both got their power update is 3.1 seconds (P85D Insane) vs 3.9 seconds (85D Sport Mode). One person claimed they got 3.85 but I'd consider that an outlier.

I think the CPO site might be mistaken, 5.2 is for the standard 85 aka S85 (RWD). The 85D and even the 90D are stated as 4.2 0-60mph. Getting either of those cars your spouse will enjoy the performance....however, don't expect the performance to be on par with a "P" model even the P85 which is stated at 4.2 but has real world examples in the ~3.8.

The history here is that when the dual motors came out it started with just the Performance model P85D, with the standard 85D following it several months afterwards. In releasing the P85D the 0-60mph was ~3.2, they discontinued the P85/P85+ (RWD) leaving a huge gap between the S85 (RWD) and the P85D, 5.2 vs 3.2. In order to pickup the slack Tesla released the 85D then updated the software to bring it closer to what the P85/+ offered in terms of acceleration stating the 4.2 for the 85D.

This is great historical info which I was always curious about. Thanks for the post!

When I purchased and received my 85D (Feb 2015), it had an advertised 0-60 of 5.2.
A few weeks later it received a software update which upped the HP to 422 and improved the 0-60 time to 4.4.
I was (and still am) impressed.