Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 4.3 0-60 time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always suspected that the S 85D was a stealth replacement for the P85… but that Tesla wouldn't advertise it.

Even if the 85D is software limited, customer feedback here seems to indicate that the P85 would likely be no match for the 85D on a winding road.

My eyes were glancing over the topic and I read it as BSD 4.3, had some nasty flashbacks, and I think I need to lie down. :)
Ha! BSD 4.3 is like an old friend I haven't seen in years...

Between this news, the rumored new blue, auto-pilot hardware, and next-gen seats on all models, I think I'm going to have to give up looking at used P85's and just pull the trigger on an S85D...

Reminder to all: The P85 has been clocked at a drag strip, with a millisecond-accurate timer, to 3.9 seconds 0-60. I'm in the camp that those that think an S85D would be close to a P85--even on curvy roads--are smoking something themselves...but to each their own :). Tesla would be crazy to list a performance spec almost 1.5 seconds slower than the actual 0-60 for the S85D...as if people wouldn't figure that out.

Reminder to all: The P85 has been clocked at a drag strip, with a millisecond-accurate timer, to 3.9 seconds 0-60. I'm in the camp that those that think an S85D would be close to a P85--even on curvy roads--are smoking something themselves...but to each their own :).

Don't look at me, LOL, I'm just going by what Bresser said in the thread about initial impressions on the 85D.

Even if the 85D is software limited, customer feedback here seems to indicate that the P85 would likely be no match for the 85D on a winding road.

Now you need an AWD car to drive on a winding road? This kind of hyperbole is getting out of hand.

- - - Updated - - -

P85D added 221 hp to the the P85

S85D went from single 380 hp to dual 188 hp -- actually a 4 hp decrease.

Agreed. There is no way a S85D is any replacement for a P85. I think such a delusion is nothing more than a symptom of prospective D owners smoking a big fat joint.

I'm in the camp that those that think an S85D would be close to a P85--even on curvy roads--are smoking something themselves...but to each their own :).

Don't look at me, LOL, I'm just going by what Bresser said in the thread about initial impressions on the 85D.

Now you need an AWD car to drive on a winding road? This kind of hyperbole is getting out of hand.

Agreed. There is no way a S85D is any replacement for a P85. I think such a delusion is nothing more than a symptom of prospective D owners smoking a big fat joint.

I also said that the S85D was not a hidden replacement for the P85. In my experience the RWD P vehicles advantage is mostly in 0-30 mph times, with less and less advantage over the non-P vehicles as the speed accelerates. I haven't driven a P85 much, but I did do some 30-60 comparisons with my first car and a P85 and the difference was very slight. I have driven an S85 pretty extensively. Handling wise I don't think most P85s are significantly different. P85+ were but I've never driven one so I can't give an opinion there. What I can say is that the handling in a curve with an 85D is significantly better than an S85. I'm much more comfortable maintaining considerable speed in a curve. On that basis if you put a P85 and a S85D on a curvy track I think the S85D would win. The higher end acceleration times aren't that off. If you believe Tesla the top end speed is higher (130 vs 155 mph) and the 85D will be able to maintain speed in curves that the P85 can't. Now if you put a P85 and an S85D on a drag strip I'd bet the P85 would win. The only questions there would be if the S85D has a traction advantage or if the top speed would come into play. Which it probably won't.

Nobody said you need an AWD car to drive on a winding road, twisting what I'd said into that is hyperbole.