Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85d battery deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
,From Elon's tweets, given in the time frame of the Gen One 18650 cell production, operating the car mainly from 30-70% SoC will enhance the chance of the battery lasting a long time, say 20 years,

When storing the car, he suggested to keep the SoC between 50 and 62%.

I tried once after V9 to go to 100% SoC at a SuC. Car did not seem happy above 95% with the fans running full blast, 30 min gave up at 99%. I won't do that again, only picked up one RM in the process. I don't want to get tagged by the Mothership for a future "update"

I will still get out of the house and enjoy life, but only with 95 or less percent....

You’ve just summed up my charging strategy. I’m charging daily to 72% in order to stay within the middle third of the total usable battery capacity and leave room for a small errand or two on my daily commute. And with any planned trips I take it to 95% on my home charger, and if SuC on the road complete a session to about 80% to avoid excessive waits and the fans running full blast.

If the battery lasts 20 years that would be the “cat’s meow”!

You’ve just summed up my charging strategy. I’m charging daily to 72% in order to stay within the middle third of the total usable battery capacity and leave room for a small errand or two on my daily commute. And with any planned trips I take it to 95% on my home charger, and if SuC on the road complete a session to about 80% to avoid excessive waits and the fans running full blast.

If the battery lasts 20 years that would be the “cat’s meow”!

I follow that same strategy to minimize wait times while charging and general thermal stress. I'm able to adjust my home charging station remotely (Juicebox) and aim to complete charging by 5am when my wife leaves for a workout.

I would expect the battery to last 20 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if the battery degradation limits the range to 40% of the original range. I have plenty of old tech with weakened but still functioning batteries. My first gen iPod is still chugging along though the battery only lasts about 20 minutes.

I have a 2014 P85 and my 90% charge is ~192 miles! My 100% is ~ 212 miles. I have ~98,000 miles on my car. I only charge to 100% for the beginning of road trips. My degradation is about the worst that I have seen. At least Tesla is working with me to bring some range.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I have a 2014 P85 and my 90% charge is ~192 miles! My 100% is ~ 212 miles. I have ~98,000 miles on my car. I only charge to 100% for the beginning of road trips. My degradation is about the worst that I have seen. At least Tesla is working with me to bring some range.
Did 2019.16.1 hit your range last May? Your's seems consistent with other owners' experience with that update.

Tesla is now more sneaky about taking away range by limiting the charge voltage. It used to be a sudden drop. Now it's slower and gradual. I was not affected by the May software update. A few weeks ago I got a new software and since then I have been loosing range continuously and drastically. The only reason I notice it is because I keep very good track of the parameters and I drive very much so the drop in my case is much more noticeable than it would for others who drive far less. I have lost 15 miles since then and the max voltage keeps dropping. I have driven aprox 15k miles since then (aprox 6 weeks) . It would take an average driver probably a year and the drop over that time would be hard to notice.

Tesla is really messing with us here.

Reactions: Droschke

How is tesla working with you? They are telling the rest of us that our batteries are nominal. That’s what they told me at an arbitration hearing.

Reactions: rickyjb
My charging speed was slowed but now back to 70-75 in my 2015 85D

Scanned the car with OBD scan my Tesla tool and car has 67kWH of usable pack left, I think that's why they slowed my car down. They don't want to end up replacing packs.

I'm so jealous. I'm also surprised they didn't force an update on you by now.
Do you get a nag every time you get in the car?
If/when you need service, that's going to happen then?

I get the software update prompt when I enter and exit the car and just x it out. In the last 1.5 years, I've had staged software come and go. When it's not staged, I leave my car on a null wifi hotspot but screwed up a few weeks ago and didn't drive for 4 days and the hotspot battery died and the software downloaded again over LTE.

I recently had to take it in because I have a "battery needs service message. avoid hard acceleration". It turns out it's not an actual battery problem but "error 159 WOT count exceeded".

I was told the fix is to update to v10 and the error will go away OR just drive it with the error and stay on v8. They could have been jerks about it but agreed not to install v10 and told me it's fine to drive it with the battery error.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and bhzmark
Just be extra careful about high state of charge. Tesla isn't making all these reductions if it wasn't for a serious reason.

I charge to 100% about twice a year when I take an annual trip that I wouldn't be able to make if I had v10. Even if I didn't get range reduced I'd be severely charge speed reduced which would make taking the tesla a non starter.

I've lost 13 miles of range since new in 5 years and 108K miles. I paid for the full capacity of the battery. Tesla warned me that if I charge high too often that the capacity of my battery would degrade quicker. I accept this and use it sparingly but do use it when I have to. Currently, because I still have the car I paid for, I've been allowed to manage my own degradation and CHOOSE.

If I accepted V10, I'd no longer have a choice and I'd no longer have the car I paid for.

I charge to 100% about twice a year when I take an annual trip that I wouldn't be able to make if I had v10. Even if I didn't get range reduced I'd be severely charge speed reduced which would make taking the tesla a non starter.

I've lost 13 miles of range since new in 5 years and 108K miles. I paid for the full capacity of the battery. Tesla warned me that if I charge high too often that the capacity of my battery would degrade quicker. I accept this and use it sparingly but do use it when I have to. Currently, because I still have the car I paid for, I've been allowed to manage my own degradation and CHOOSE.

If I accepted V10, I'd no longer have a choice and I'd no longer have the car I paid for.

I totally get it. I would not update the software. Just saying, what we see is all kinds of measures that are limiting the battery at the top level.

Reactions: Droschke
I recently had to take it in because I have a "battery needs service message. avoid hard acceleration". It turns out it's not an actual battery problem but "error 159 WOT count exceeded".

Interesting. A number of P85Ds have had their battery replaced after getting that msg, but it was diagnosed as a pack problem, not just the WOT counter.

I was told the fix is to update to v10 and the error will go away OR just drive it with the error and stay on v8. They could have been jerks about it but agreed not to install v10 and told me it's fine to drive it with the battery error.
I completely get why you're staying on v8, but doesn't the above now mean that if you do get an actual battery error, you will not know as you will be ignoring the "battery needs service message. avoid hard acceleration" message? To draw an analogy from ICE world, you just unscrewed the check-engine lightbulb because you know your have an incompatible ECU which turns it on for no reason.;)

Interesting. A number of P85Ds have had their battery replaced after getting that msg, but it was diagnosed as a pack problem, not just the WOT counter.

That's because there was no way to reset the 2500 WOT counter. If I had only banged on the car much harder and more frequently I would have hit the counter before v10 was available. V10 simply ignores the count. Have driven thousands of miles now with the error displayed with no apparent loss of power, charge speed, or range.

I'm not too worried about not eventually getting a replacement battery. I will hit 250K miles before the 8 years is up and it's pretty much impossible for it to last that long for an L upgraded 85.

• Informative
Reactions: David99