Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Damaged during Annual Servicing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this sucks. I get what you are worrying about. If you leave it as is, it is visibly damaged but might still qualify for CPO. If fixed, it might not qualify for CPO. Either way, it puts you in a bad position, and definitely it is on Tesla to fix it.

Most ideal obviously is if paintless dent repair can fix it (or any method not requiring a new quarter panel). If that is not possible, I agree that the best option is to get in writing that your trade in value will not be penalized after the fix. Or if you will ever consider selling private party, you may ask to be paid for diminished value (might need a lawyer).

Reactions: jdw
So if I understand the situation correctly, the service center damaged your car when it was in their position and then tried to fix it without even telling you possibly hoping you wouldn't notice? If so, that is beyond shady.

Even though the body is aluminum, a quality bodyshop should have been able to fix that or even quality paintless dent repair should have been able to fix that.

It does remind me of one benefit of leasing over buying ... this would not be *my* problem ...
So if I understand the situation correctly, the service center damaged your car when it was in their position and then tried to fix it without even telling you possibly hoping you wouldn't notice? If so, that is beyond shady.

Even though the body is aluminum, a quality bodyshop should have been able to fix that or even quality paintless dent repair should have been able to fix that.

No, they didn't try to fix without telling me. When I came to pick up the car it was parked backed in with the passenger side against a wall. I picked up the car and drove back to work before I noticed the damage and returned to Tesla. There was ittle dispute as the yellow paint on my car matched the yellow paint on their lifts. They apologised and scheduled the first repair attempt with a paintless dent guy, and, after that didn't work, sent the car to a body shop. I'm left with a much smaller, less noticable dent, and bad XPEL install, no cQuartz and a wonky taillight. I haven't made the third trip back yet and only posted here for advice before "strike three" on Monday.

In the plus column, I had nice loaners - an X90D the first time and an S100D for the second repair. I did offer a straight exchange ...

That's what I thought as well, but after two paintless dent repair attempts, the damage is still visible.

Did Tesla choose the body shop or did you? If the former, I would tell Tesla they need to have it repaired at the shop of your choosing at this point so the dent can be properly addressed, the light (and/or its mount) be replaced, the Xpel redone, and the cQuartz reapplied.

It does remind me of one benefit of leasing over buying ... this would not be *my* problem ...

No, they didn't try to fix without telling me. When I came to pick up the car it was parked backed in with the passenger side against a wall. I picked up the car and drove back to work before I noticed the damage and returned to Tesla. There was ittle dispute as the yellow paint on my car matched the yellow paint on their lifts. They apologised and scheduled the first repair attempt with a paintless dent guy, and, after that didn't work, sent the car to a body shop. I'm left with a much smaller, less noticable dent, and bad XPEL install, no cQuartz and a wonky taillight. I haven't made the third trip back yet and only posted here for advice before "strike three" on Monday.

In the plus column, I had nice loaners - an X90D the first time and an S100D for the second repair. I did offer a straight exchange ...
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Still pretty bad that you had to find the damage yourself after you already had left. They were definitely not being upfront with you and purposely "hiding" it. I expect better of Tesla. :mad:

I would likely want to trade the car to Tesla at some point, and as far as I know, they will not accept a car into their CPO program with a replaced quarter panel and/or may devalue the car due to the repair. Perhaps this is not so?

I had a $12K hit to my car and Tesla took it on trade at full value. As long as the repair was professionally done and was not structural then why would anyone care?

• Helpful
Reactions: jdw
Did Tesla choose the body shop or did you? If the former, I would tell Tesla they need to have it repaired at the shop of your choosing at this point so the dent can be properly addressed, the light (and/or its mount) be replaced, the Xpel redone, and the cQuartz reapplied.

There is only one Tesla approved shop around here, and they are actually very good. They don't do XPEL themselves, it was a third party who doesn't seem to be very good at it. Nobody in Montreal does cQuartz to my knowledge - I had to go to Ottawa for the original XPEL & coating. The local body shop also didn't damage the tail light, in fact they installed a few new parts in an attempt to fix it. That damage happened at the SC when the first paintless dent guy took a shot at it.

Last edited:
If Tesla cannot make you 100% whole, call your insurance company and discuss this with them. The damage may be covered by your policy (similar to getting hit in a parking lot and the other driver leaves or refuses to pay), in which case the insurance company has attorneys to write scary letters and fight it out with the service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hota and jdw
No, they didn't try to fix without telling me. When I came to pick up the car it was parked backed in with the passenger side against a wall. I picked up the car and drove back to work before I noticed the damage and returned to Tesla.

I don't know - to me this is even worse. So they damaged your car and didn't tell you at all? You then found out about it on your own after it was not disclosed when you picked up the car (we can, but won't cast any further aspersions on the attempt to hide the damage via the way it was parked). That just doesn't look too good for the SC. No question they need to put you back in the place you were before you brought in your car. I'm also hoping you're seeing significant free service in the future, if you can trust the SC enough to bring your car back there.

If Tesla cannot make you 100% whole, call your insurance company and discuss this with them. The damage may be covered by your policy (similar to getting hit in a parking lot and the other driver leaves or refuses to pay), in which case the insurance company has attorneys to write scary letters and fight it out with the service center.
Filing a comprehensive claim and unleashing the insurance attorney hounds is definitely a viable option, but one of extreme last resort. Despite the initial shadiness, I believe Tesla will ultimately make the OP whole here, one way or the other.

I would be surprised if they paintless dent repair expert couldn't fix this. Always better, since your paint is not disturbed, because afterwords the paint match may not be perfect. XPel saved the paint in this case

I pretty sure that's an area that you can't repair using PDR. The lip of the wheel well is typically double-layered so tools can't get in there to fix it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The SC has been as good as they can be *trying* to put it right so far. I am realising that I am just stuck between two options neither of which I like - look at the almost repaired dent every day or replace the quarter panel. Likely, I’m also stressed out about it as it is the first ding but life happens and a lot worse has happened to other posters. No need for a new car or a pony - I just don’t want to pay for this down the road when I trade or sell.

I do appreciate the posts and advice given by all in this thread.

Reactions: ModelX
I pretty sure that's an area that you can't repair using PDR. The lip of the wheel well is typically double-layered so tools can't get in there to fix it.

It is right on the line on the lip of the wheel well, so very difficult to conceal the repair. And yes, access is only via the taillight, no way to get in from the wheel well.