Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D DU Replaced 3 Times in Last 4 Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had motor whine since I purchased my CPO in August. Since then, I've had the DU replaced 3 times (one front and two rear). In each case Tesla engineers analyzed a recording of the whine and concluded DU replacement was required.

My service center has been great to deal with, but at this point I am a little frustrated that the whine still exists. The whine occurs during regen and is worst at 49-53 mph. It's loud enough that it can be heard over music and I've had passengers comment on it. There is a more tolerable whine at lower speeds that I assume is normal (I base that assumption on the fact that all but one of the loaner cars I drove had some type of whine).

I reported the current whine right after the last DU replacement and they tried to tell me that the current whine is "normal" whine that results from the age of the battery. The problem with that explanation is that the whine is no different than the whine that resulted in the prior replacements (which they justified by concluding the DU had the well known milling sound). Are they saying they should not have replaced the DU the prior three times (because the problem was always with the "normal aged battery")?

Anyone have a similar experience or thoughts on the battery theory?

IMHO the "aged battery" is total nonsense. Does the DU know the age of the electrons reaching it?

My car is approaching 5 years of age. My battery is getting old and I have no whine. Maybe the battery age detector was left out of my car:)

I just found the invoice for this assessment of the whine. It states: "Test drove vehicle. This is normal operation of the contactors depending on age and ambient temp of the battery."