Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think battery degradation has a lot more to do with deep cycling than fast charging. Don't let the state of charge drop more than you have to. Plus I don't fully charge the battery, so it's always in the 'sweet spot' for long life. Of course some people need the full range frequently.

I agree with you completely as well. GM doesn't even let Volt owners charge higher than the 85% or below the 15%. At least Tesla is allowing their owners to be prudent in managing their own battery!

Rather this thread not get turned back into the long debate about how to charge the battery. There really are better threads for that.

But this is what I will say. If you go look at the big degradation thread in the Battery and Charging forum you'll see that people who have followed the convention wisdom haven't all avoided battery degradation and people who haven't aren't all looking at poor batteries. There are so many factors that I doubt we can really control it much.

In my particular case I have a 70 mile round trip commute and I don't have time of use rates. So I want full 19.2 kW charging and I plug in when I get home. Sometimes we go out to see friends and can easily do ~150 mile round trips in the evening. Without charging that puts us further into the battery than I really want to be for traveling without careful plans. So I leave it at 80A and plug in when I get home. Come what may.

I don't want to pick sides here, but being an engineer, it seems prudent to charge slower (I.E. cooler) if you have the time.

For the reasons you explain, I charge daily to 70%, using the SPX Voltec charger that my Volt used (L2 @ 16 amps), and I just installed a NEMA 14-50 as insurance so I can use my UMC if the Voltec craps out for some reason. And I have the dual charger. Nothing wrong with a little slower IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you completely as well. GM doesn't even let Volt owners charge higher than the 85% or below the 15%. At least Tesla is allowing their owners to be prudent in managing their own battery!
Actually the Volt range is no higher than 88% or below 23%

I'm almost to 18k miles, probably will hit it sometime this weekend. Had the first "annual service" around 17k miles a while back and I figure now is a good time to post about how it's going.

Tesla took care of all my issues during the service, including replacing the windshield that got hit by a rock. Gasket in the door is now properly secured to the car, rubber cover missing over the tail light bolt was replaced (I actually found the other one in my trunk and replaced it). Back seat click went away on its own for the most part, but occasionally it comes back, I think their theory that it's a seat belt is accurate now. They worked on my passenger seat, during the ride with the shop foreman (who remembers me and my car, which I find amazing considering how many cars they must see) noticed it wasn't down tight and would creek as he moved in the seat and replaced the clip on the bottom of the seat. They fixed all the rattles that I had, car is nearly silent now except for some very occasional creaks and wind noise. I'd say that everything has settled down and the car is now in great shape.

I'm super happy with the car. Can't wait for auto steering update.

Ohh and 319 Wh/mile lifetime.

I have had my 85D for 6 weeks and 2800 miles. I absolutely love it. No problems of any sort to date. I have taken it on 2 short road trips to Chicago and Louisville. It is great on the interstate or city streets. I have never owned any kind of high performance car before, so the speed and instant acceleration totally blow me away. I do an occasional launch and it is so fast I think the P85D would scare me to death. Knowing I can beat virtually anyone off the line and pass anyone on the highway at will has changed my driving style and earned me my first speeding ticket in a decade. I really like the TACC. My commute is 25 miles each way, mainly on freeways and I have the TACC on 90% of the time. It reacts faster than I do normally. Can't wait like everyone else for auto steering!

Teslas are still somewhat rare in Indianapolis so I have people asking me about it all the time. Just today a worker at the car wash complimented it and the counter woman at a local pizza place asked me all about it. Turns out she is a Tesla stockholder who is eagerly awaiting the model 3. At the same stop a neighboring sports bar owner came out of the bar to ask about it. I love to be an ambassador for the car.

I enjoy myself every time I slip in behind the wheel.