Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bosch windshield wipers...

...with the service plan, we're supposed to get new windshield wipers every year. Does anyone know whether we get the New Improved Bosch windshield wipers on our old cars?

I'm not seeing any obvious change in mounting. So I'd assume you get whatever part they have on hand if that happens to be Bosch then that's what you get. If the factory is installing Bosch they've probably changed suppliers for parts as well. But they may use up whatever supply they have if they don't consider them to be broken.

If that's what Tesla tells me I'll accept that. But I'm concerned there's something wrong with my wiring, HPWC or the car. I'd like them to look into it. For what it's worth I've contacted service and they didn't dismiss the issue as just a rounding error and are going to look at the car (along with the other rattles) next week.
Concur. I'd do the same. I'll be curious to hear what Tesla says.

Bosch windshield wipers...

...with the service plan, we're supposed to get new windshield wipers every year. Does anyone know whether we get the New Improved Bosch windshield wipers on our old cars?

I was in for a 24k (...really, 25k) service last month. Got replacement inserts on my wipers but does not look like I got new frames/arms (old ones do not have the Bosch logo, new ones from factory do have the Bosch logo). That said, mine work great.

I've been living with the original, really terrible wipers for quite a while. They don't do the job on snow and ice, or even bad rain. And they burn out fast. They're really substandard. So I am hoping that they've been improved in some fashion. I guess I'll ask next time I call the service center.

I've been living with the original, really terrible wipers for quite a while. They don't do the job on snow and ice, or even bad rain. And they burn out fast. They're really substandard. So I am hoping that they've been improved in some fashion. I guess I'll ask next time I call the service center.

Even the new wiper blades don't cut it. They're made by Bosch, but they are not the right model Bosch blade. You need to go with the Bosch Icon blades. See this thread for the details:

P85D wiper blades

Think it's safe to say I'm done with first impressions.

IMG_20150227_170423.jpg

For those wondering, I was at 348 Wh/mile at that point in my trip today and 372 Wh/mile lifetime so far.

Last edited:
Ah, I see you reached the 1,000 miles mark! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 85D's range and cruising efficiency.

Yup. I honestly can't see a ton of difference in range/efficiency. Like I've said before I think you'd have to compare a 85 to an 85D in side by side comparisons to see the difference. Maybe I'll find someone local to do some of that with. I have yet to do anything with range mode, so obviously I didn't have the problems with it and .167. Now that .179 is out and supposedly resolves the problem (and I have it installed) I might give it a try.

Yup. I honestly can't see a ton of difference in range/efficiency. Like I've said before I think you'd have to compare a 85 to an 85D in side by side comparisons to see the difference. Maybe I'll find someone local to do some of that with. I have yet to do anything with range mode, so obviously I didn't have the problems with it and .167. Now that .179 is out and supposedly resolves the problem (and I have it installed) I might give it a try.

The 85D should do very well on interstate drives at a reasonable speed (60-70 MPH). Would love to see a side by side test of that. Feel like bringing your 85D over to NC so we can do a side-by-side-by-side with the P85D, 85D, and P85? I could always pick up a third GoPro :p

The 85D should do very well on interstate drives at a reasonable speed (60-70 MPH). Would love to see a side by side test of that. Feel like bringing your 85D over to NC so we can do a side-by-side-by-side with the P85D, 85D, and P85? I could always pick up a third GoPro :p

As fun as that sounds I don't see myself getting to that side of the country anytime soon.

As fun as that sounds I don't see myself getting to that side of the country anytime soon.

I'd mentioned wanting to do a road trip to the new Coeur d'Alene, ID SuperCharger once it opens. Another member with an S85 has contacted me and we're going to do that road trip together to collect some comparison data. It'll be a 278 mile drive one way. I'm not expecting to make a video like wk075 has been doing. But we should still be able to collect useful information.