Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL - WTH? Has it come to signing NDAs to get a certain color now?

Which is why I'm confused. I'm pretty sure you can't actually use the car without revealing it's color to... well, everyone... which would make an NDA useless.

If the OP is choosing to hide it here then this is his choice to do so.

So I'm guessing that @breser isn't just one of the first to get an S85D but also one of the first to get one of the new colors... I never bought the story that Tesla was going to permanently reduce the number of colors...
Congrats! Can't wait to see that unveiled.

Guess that's possible. Still pointless to hide this, IMO. If it is a new color, someone will see it and post it eventually anyway. For example, if I spotted it, I'm under no obligation to not post a pic. So, hope someone spots him :p

Which is why I'm confused. I'm pretty sure you can't actually use the car without revealing it's color to... well, everyone... which would make an NDA useless.

Let me be explicit. I have been asked by Tesla not to publicly broadcast the color. I pointed out the fact that anyone seeing the car will see the color. They reiterated their request.

So I'm guessing that @breser isn't just one of the first to get an S85D but also one of the first to get one of the new colors... I never bought the story that Tesla was going to permanently reduce the number of colors...
Congrats! Can't wait to see that unveiled.
Guess that's possible. Still pointless to hide this, IMO. If it is a new color, someone will see it and post it eventually anyway. For example, if I spotted it, I'm under no obligation to not post a pic. So, hope someone spots him :p
The way @breser phrased it seemed to clearly imply that this is out of his control. So I don't think it's just "his choice"...

Darn guys I guess the secret is out

I hadn't noticed the aero wheels in the other pictures. Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

If it is a new color, someone will see it and post it eventually anyway. For example, if I spotted it, I'm under no obligation to not post a pic. So, hope someone spots him :p

Let me be explicit. I have been asked by Tesla not to publicly broadcast the color. I pointed out the fact that anyone seeing the car will see the color. They reiterated their request.

Let's think about this a bit, guys. (breser--no need to comment, because you can't, so we'll just talk about you and your car behind your back, in front of you.)

When Tesla "discontinued" brown and green as colors, the first thing they did, if I recall correctly, was discontinue them on the S85D, and offer to let people with S85Ds switch their configurations to P85Ds. It was only later that the colors were discontinued for the P85Ds. I think it's more likely that Tesla just allowed breser to keep his original color and configuration, perhaps after some negotiation or something, than that breser has some spanking new color that no one knows about and no one has reported on. If so, he may, literally, have the only S85D produced in that color. Which would be why Tesla doesn't want him posting pictures of it, and which would be why he is honoring their request, since they did him a pretty big favor by producing the car in the color he wanted.

I have no direct knowledge of any of this. This is 100% conjecture on my part, based on knowing the timeline of events, and on having read in this thread that people seemed to think breser's car was green, before thinking it might be a new color.

AndyW2100, your explanation makes good sense. How else would he have been able to order a "different" color? And of course this explains why all of Breser's pics were in black and white! Still, this is exciting, to think that there might be extended life for old colors, or new colors already "in the wild".

I have no direct knowledge of any of this. This is 100% conjecture on my part, based on knowing the timeline of events, and on having read in this thread that people seemed to think breser's car was green, before thinking it might be a new color.

I decided to investigate further. I'm now 95% sure I'm correct.

I found this thread, which I vaguely remembered: Trading Up My Experience

Here are a couple of highlights:

Got the call from Inside Sales just now.

My options are:

1) Remove AWD and get the car in December in Green.
2) Change from an 85D to a P85D, get the car in December in green.
3) Choose another color.

I'm really not happy about this, but it's what I expected based on what I was told last night.

Yes Green and Brown are being discontinued at the end of the year.

It's been a couple days and an update is in order. I'm still working with Tesla to try and determine what to do about the color situation.

My title arrived in the mail yesterday and I should be giving up the S85 on Monday.

I hope once the color situation is worked out it's smooth sailing from here.

Turn in of the existing vehicle delayed until the 19th while determining what to do about my Green paint on the 85D order.

And the last post from breser in that thread:

Still working to preserve that color. Hopefully will have a resolution by the end of the week.

I rest my case.

Also, let us not forget that if Tesla did do this for breser, it may well have been because he was, I believe, literally a day on the wrong side of the free autopilot sensors on the car that he was trading in to get this one.

Edit: I just read the second post in the thread I linked to, which was from me. Foreshadowing? (Color wasn't an issue when breser started the thread.)

That's really too bad that you're having to go through all this. I read in another thread that you missed the autopilot sensors by a day! That's incredible. What terrible luck. You deserve some serious good luck with the next one, and a lot more from Tesla than a free jacket!

Last edited:
cia-first-tweet.jpg