TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

85D Handled Very Well in a Close Call

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Trailblazer, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

I was near Charleston, SC this past weekend and traveling over an undivided 4-lane bridge. I was following a Cadillac in the left lane northbound - we were both going around 50 mph. I was following at a "normal" distance (several car lengths) - not using TACC or AP at the time. A southbound SUV (also going around 50 mph) crossed the center line and slammed into the Cadillac. I hit the brake hard and steered toward the right to try to avoid the out-of-control Cadillac and a shower of debris that resulted from the impact. I don't consider myself an expert driver, but my 85D handled really well, and I was able to avoid the Cadillac, as well as the large curb on the right side of the road, and the debris. I came to a stop in the right lane (the Cadillac came to rest ahead of me in the left lane) without a scratch on the car. The Cadillac and the SUV were totaled, but the occupants were able to walk away from the crash thanks to airbags. I felt like I needed to give some props to the 85D for the way it handled in this situation.

2. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Great to hear everyone walked away and that your car handled impeccably. The more I discover about my car, the more impressed I am with the engineering and the predictability of the handling despite its mass.

3. Panoz

Panoz Member

Want some entertainment? Try to get information on the police and insurance activities related to the accident you witnessed. I predict the SUV will claim the Cadillac crossed the line on their side and was driving drunk. Let the indoor activities begin...

4. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Nice job handling your S. Dashcam video would have been amazing.

5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Yes, I really wish I would have had a dashcam installed - maybe this will be the motivation for me to tackle that project.

I actually hung around until the police showed up and I gave them a statement as to how the accident occurred. So there should be no doubt as to who crossed the center line, hopefully.