TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

85D impressions after several days of use, comparison to 85

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ecarfan, Jun 14, 2015.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

After driving my parents two new 85D's for a few days, I thought I would share my impression of that model compared to my 1 1/2 year old 85 (which has coils).
    During significant acceleration the 85D is noticeably noisier than the 85, but the difference is minor. I actually like hearing the low-level electric motor whine under hard acceleration. Reminds me of my Roadster.
    I can't perceive a difference in handling between the AWD and the RWD under the driving conditions available to me here in Southern California, but since the new 85D's don't belong to me I didn't push them hard through the corners.
    The 85D is obviously quicker accelerating, it's obvious when you floor it.
    One of the two new 85D's has the air suspension, one has coils. I drove both over the same roads and cannot clearly detect a difference. If I had been blindfolded and been the passenger in both cars, switching back and forth and going over the same roads I don't think I could have correctly identified which car I was in. But I didn't try that particular experiment.
    And the new Next Gen seats are awesome.

2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

I test-drove a 70D last month just to see if I could feel a difference (I couldn't), the staffer in the car with me said you really won't feel any difference until driving in rain or snow. Yes the next-gen seats were amazing!

3. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

Good to know, I would think to see the difference between D and non-D you'd most-likely have to drive them in the Winter.

4. grantgro

grantgro Member

Thanks for the info...my 85D is in transit from the factory...late June delivery!

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

More thoughts:
    I like the new way the frunk closes compared to my late 2013 85. The new mechanism is easier to use and seems to require less pressure.
    The new motorized charge port door is pretty cool.
    The Next Gen front seat headrests sure are tall! (My parents cars did not come with the rear Next Gen seats so no change there).

6. JunesongProvisn

Glad to hear about the next gen seats. I took delivery of my P85D this past week and it had been almost a year since I test drove the P85. I couldn't remember what the other seats felt like, but I do really like the next gens.