Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D in the snow - no problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uYFwiKx.jpg

After getting well and truly dumped on for a few days by the snow gods, it's nice enough to get on the road with the new Tesla today! The great news is how well the D drives in the snow. If you floor it you're all over the road like any vehicle, but use your brain and this thing finds traction far better than my AWD SUV. No slips, no traction control going crazy and ABS rumbles. Just smooth straight driving.

I'm very pleased. I love this car.

When I floor my S85 single motor the traction control kicks in almost instantaneously. I am basically unable to make the car fishtail in the snow. Is your dual motor really all over the place? Is your traction control off?

I floored it twice and felt the rear break loose. (Open snowy area, obviously. Safe area) I immediately let off the gas but I'm sure the nannies would have promptly pulled power from the car.

But honestly, in virtually anything less than full throttle the car was so stable in the snow I was impressed. I ran out just after posting this in my SUV and confirmed that it's way less stable in the snow, and it has similar tires (eco all season).

Agreed, the D handles slick roads with aplomb. I left Denver westbound on I-70 Monday morning in a pretty good snowstorm. Climbing up that first steep stretch behind the hogbacks the highway was littered with people trying to nurse their front-wheel drive cars up the hill, spinning tires and slipping sideways, with poor-to-nil traction. It wasn't pretty, but the P85D shrugged off the conditions and just went up the hill like it was a sunny day on dry pavement. I have Hakka R2s on 19" stock wheels.

I floored it twice and felt the rear break loose. (Open snowy area, obviously. Safe area) I immediately let off the gas but I'm sure the nannies would have promptly pulled power from the car.

But honestly, in virtually anything less than full throttle the car was so stable in the snow I was impressed. I ran out just after posting this in my SUV and confirmed that it's way less stable in the snow, and it has similar tires (eco all season).

My P85D with Hakka R2's does not break away under full power on snowy or icy roads.