Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Loaner vs. P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my P85D yesterday for a minor paint blemish and was given an 85D as a loaner. I wasn't really expecting a noticeable difference in driving dynamics under 'normal driving' (i.e. not in Insane Mode). I was definitely wrong about that. The responsiveness of the 85D wasn't anywhere near what I was use to in my P85D, to my surprise it actually felt a little sluggish to me. Obviously the difference in available horsepower really impacts the car and its responsiveness, I just didn't expect it to be that noticeable under normal driving.

On the other hand, after driving the 85D for about an hour and a half to get home from the service center my wife called with a dead battery in our E550. Took care of the dead battery and I drove the E550 home in case anything else went wrong and she took the 85D. Talk about another huge step down in power. First time driving an ICE Car since we picked up our Model S. Tesla sure makes it hard to appreciate any other car; or should I say Tesla sure makes it easy to appreciate what they have developed and built. I love our Tesla more and more everyday!

I've noticed sort of the same thing when I get a P85 loaner while my 85 is in for service. The "P" is a lot peppier in stop-and-go and almost feels like the accelerator it a bit more hair-trigger. Conversely, on the freeway, I don't really notice a whole lot of difference. I will be interested to see how the D's compare for myself.

I've noticed sort of the same thing when I get a P85 loaner while my 85 is in for service. The "P" is a lot peppier in stop-and-go and almost feels like the accelerator it a bit more hair-trigger. Conversely, on the freeway, I don't really notice a whole lot of difference. I will be interested to see how the D's compare for myself.

I was going to say going down to a S85 from a P85 sounds similar to the P85D to 85D.
S85 feels heavy and slow around town. probably good for tire life!

I noticed this as well. My S85 was in for service and I had a P85 loaner and I could tell a good bit of difference, even at city speeds. I still don't regret my choice for a moment though.

One thing I definitely noticed was the range difference though. There is just something about seeing that number on the display all the time that makes you think about it. I only charge the P85D to 225 miles unless we are planning on a road trip. The 85D was still well over 225 miles of range by the time we got it home, more range after driving an hour than I start with.

I dropped off my P85D yesterday for a minor paint blemish and was given an 85D as a loaner. I wasn't really expecting a noticeable difference in driving dynamics under 'normal driving' (i.e. not in Insane Mode). I was definitely wrong about that. The responsiveness of the 85D wasn't anywhere near what I was use to in my P85D, to my surprise it actually felt a little sluggish to me. Obviously the difference in available horsepower really impacts the car and its responsiveness, I just didn't expect it to be that noticeable under normal driving.

On the other hand, after driving the 85D for about an hour and a half to get home from the service center my wife called with a dead battery in our E550. Took care of the dead battery and I drove the E550 home in case anything else went wrong and she took the 85D. Talk about another huge step down in power. First time driving an ICE Car since we picked up our Model S. Tesla sure makes it hard to appreciate any other car; or should I say Tesla sure makes it easy to appreciate what they have developed and built. I love our Tesla more and more everyday!

Now your wife is probably thinking "why did I end up with the E550? I want this Tesla for my daily driver!"

And it's funny how I thought E550 was the car with all the power I'll ever need (compare to the E350 we had). We didn't miss it one bit after we got the MS.

Now your wife is probably thinking "why did I end up with the E550? I want this Tesla for my daily driver!"

And it's funny how I thought E550 was the car with all the power I'll ever need (compare to the E350 we had). We didn't miss it one bit after we got the MS.

And of course the E550 is the car I was looking at before my eyes were opened to the Model S!

Absolutely!! She really liked the 85D, when it's time to get rid of the E550 maybe another Tesla will be in store for us! Maybe by then there will be a 100D with 300 miles plus or range, perfect road car!

After picking up the P85D today from the service center the first thing I noticed was how much more comfortable the 85D loaner was. The 21" wheels with the ultra low profile tires are great for performance but not for comfort.

I'd expect P85D, to 85D, to reveal front drive bias. It's very possible, in normal driving, that Tesla doesn't weight the rear drive motor of the P85D any more then they do the rear of 85D. That would be the first thing I'd try to establish, when I get the chance in the 85D. Like the decision to go with the same air spring units and force traction control, I think it would be a bad move if folks can't sense a difference in tail power, full time.

One thing I don't know that anyone has proven is if Tesla, despite using the same part #, additionally dials up the air pressure in the P85D spring units? It's another aspect to tell about, for those having the opportunity. The OP seems to notice better response. Might that also be from the suspension, InsaneDriver?

One thing I don't know that anyone has proven is if Tesla, despite using the same part #, additionally dials up the air pressure in the P85D spring units? It's another aspect to tell about, for those having the opportunity. The OP seems to notice better response. Might that also be from the suspension, InsaneDriver?[/QUOTE]

The next time I get a loaner I will definitely pay more attention to the equipment on the vehicle and do some purposeful comparisons.

Yup the P85D is quicker. But I don't think that's the interesting comparison to make. I'm far more interested in the comparison of handling. In my personal experience, I didn't notice any significant difference there. I wrote up my thoughts on this when I ended up with a P85D loaner for a day while they fixed some minor issues with my car.

What mode do you typically drive the P85D around in?

I would imagine from your username that you use insane mode. So I imagine the P85D in insane mode is quite a bit faster on surface streets than the 85D,

It hasn't been out of Insane Mode since I took delivery. I want the power to be there if/when I need or want it, don't want to have to go through the menu to get it. I read an article a guy wrote after a P85D beat a Hellcat. The author was giving tips about the Hellcat and one of them was, it comes with 2 keys; throw away the black key and keep the red one (high power) (don't remember the actual colors) but same concept. The Tesla is so quick to begin with, I am not sure I am truly using the added power of Insane Mode on a daily basis, but it's always ready. I've obviously done a few Insane Mode launches but that's not how I drive daily, too much traffic.

Maybe I'll try it out of Insane Mode just to see how much of a difference there is and then compare that to a 85D next time a get a chance.