TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

85D now available in RWD config? (as 85 non-D)

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Chris TX, May 21, 2015.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Maybe I just missed this, but I thought ALL new Model S orders were to be AWD with the introduction of the 70D. It looks like you can select RWD after selecting the 85D, now. This subtracts $5000 from the cost, as we as lowers the EPA rated range, top speed, 0-60 speed, and hp rating.

Is this new (again?)

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's been like that since the D launch I believe. They just don't have the RWD 85 as easy to find now as before.

3. P85DBeast

P85DBeast 3 Model S!! 85D,P85D,P100D

QUOTE arrow-10x10.png =Chris TX;1016025]Maybe I just missed this, but I thought ALL new Model S orders arrow-10x10.png were to be AWD with the introduction of the 70D. It looks like you can select RWD after selecting the 85D, now. This subtracts $5000 from the cost, as we as lowers the EPA rated range, top speed, 0-60 speed, and hp rating.

Is this new (again?)[ QUOTE arrow-10x10.png ]

No this isn't new if you select RWD it will give you the standard 85 pack not AWD but it lowers range and stuff this has been out for a while now

4. TES-E

TES-E Member

It's been like this since day one (70D intro). Just not obvious.

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Ah, okay. I could have sworn it was only Ds with no RWD selection. I wonder what this does for the Model X in a month or so when order configuring begins.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

In a "month or so"??? Is it April Fools again?

7. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

There is probably an internal countdown at Tesla to the end of RWD Model S. Not sure if it's sooner (when X is introduced) or later (when 3 is introduced) but writing seems to be on the wall.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

We know the Model X will be dual motor only. Agree with others it does look like Tesla is phasing the rear motor only version out.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

When Tesla introduced the 70D and changed the order page to deemphasize the RWD version, I was of the opinion that it would remain available for many years due to it being cheaper.

But after reflecting on what Elon said last October about the Dual Motor version being just a better car in every way than the RWD (increased range, better handling, better acceleration), and noticing the trend of Tesla adding more features to the S without increasing the price much (former options like Yacht Floor, Parcel Shelf, Alcantara headliner, many items in the first version of the Tech Package, etc., now standard) I have come to the conclusion that in the near future the RWD version of the Model S will be discontinued, possibly even this year when the Model X launches.

Making the S available only with dual motors would simplify production, and that is something that Tesla has clearly been doing with the S over the past year, reducing the number of options and model variations. And it doesn't seem to have reduced demand at all. So why not?