Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D owners would you have bought a 90 non-D and saved the $2000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I probably would have b/c you get the bigger frunk, increased range (tho not as much as an 85D exactly) while saving $2,000

I'm still happy that the price of my 85D (picked up 3 weeks ago) remains the same as configured.

Edit: you also don't get all wheel drive of course.. but i bought the D for the extra range over the non-D 85

perhaps this winter I will be happy to have the D for the all-wheel drive, but in the middle of summer, I would have preferred the biggerfrunk and the $2000 in savings.

Edit 2: The 85D has a faster 0-60 than the 90 non-D. so there is that benefit of the 85D, but I always get the car with the smaller engine so I would have saved the $2000 if I could.

Last edited:
I probably would have b/c you get the bigger frunk, increased range (tho not as much as an 85D exactly) while saving $2,000

I'm still happy that the price of my 85D (picked up 3 weeks ago) remains the same as configured.

Edit: you also don't get all wheel drive of course.. but i bought the D for the extra range over the non-D 85

perhaps this winter I will be happy to have the D for the all-wheel drive, but in the middle of summer, I would have preferred the biggerfrunk and the $2000 in savings.

No way. I bought the 85D because it's 1.2 seconds faster than the 85 for a "mere" $5k.
The range is only an extra 5 miles between the 85 and 85D. Not even a consideration.

My car is still in production. I'm debating seeing if I can upgrade from 85D to 90D...Not sure though. $3k for an extra 13 miles?

I don't see how it can't affect resale value. However, if you own a P85D it's still a world class car. Do you really want to suddenly sell it because something slightly better is available?
I think it could affect resale value since a few years from now someone may compare a P85D to a P90D and decide to go for the 90 for a bit more, therefore reducing the price of my 85D. In economic terms what I am saying is that the demand curve will shift to the left.

This is the risk with Teslas - the technology innovation curve is very steep making existing models obsolete pretty quickly, much more so than with ICE cars. But the scarcity factor has helped to hold in the resale value.

I got the 85 RWD because I prefer the feel of a RWD car over AWD. Also I prefer to have a bigger frunk. I don't see much of real world difference in range between the RWD and the AWD.

Also the upgrade from 85 kWh to 90 kWh is not worth it for me. I don't really drive in situations where an extra 5 kWh makes much of a difference.

No. The AWD adds significantly improved handling. I've used the frunk hardly ever on the S85 I had. None of which actually needed the extra space. Heck on the way down to TMC Connect this year I put my bag in the front. The AWD is a significantly better car regardless of bad weather. Drive them back to back and see for yourself.

No. The AWD adds significantly improved handling. I've used the frunk hardly ever on the S85 I had. None of which actually needed the extra space. Heck on the way down to TMC Connect this year I put my bag in the front. The AWD is a significantly better car regardless of bad weather. Drive them back to back and see for yourself.

I did drive Them back to back and I still prefer the RWD. In normal traffic the handling felt great on both cars. But the AWD was not worth the added cost, the lost frunk space and least of all the noise from the front motor.

My answer to the OP's question: NO.

My 85D should be delivered in a couple of weeks (currently in transit). Having looked at the new options and prices, if I were ordering today I would still get the D and probably the 85 kwh battery - I really do not need the 90 kwh battery for most of the driving I foresee for my model S. As I live in the snow belt I consider the dual motor variants a must have.