TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

85D Potential Performance?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jasonjax, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jasonjax

jasonjax Member

I'm about to take delivery of my 85D, and I was looking around at some of the performance threads on P85 vs. 85D etc. (obviously P85D/90DL are in another ballpark), but it got me to wondering with two motors albeit lower advertised HP, what would the envelope look like on a 0-60 for a 85D. Are we at max-performance or could future updates potentially push it even further?

Just curious the thoughts here.

2. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

The only reason the 85D got a performance boost is becuase they put out the 70D and needed a way to differentiate the 85D and justify the cost. I wouldn't expect any further performance improvements from the car since I don't foresee any additional incentive for Tesla to boost this performance.

3. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I can't tell you about curves or graphs, but I have driven both the 85D (my car) and the P85D extensively. There is a noticeable difference on launch as well as at highway speeds. The P85D is so fast though, you can get yourself car sick if you drive it hard, which I did because it was my loaner for 5 days and I wanted to test it out. It feels slightly heavier in the corners.

I also recently had a chance to drive a P85+ for two days and wrote up an extensive comparison here vs the S85D:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/51520-Current-Owners-What-are-the-must-have-options-and-options-you-could-live-without/page3?p=1120775&viewfull=1#post1120775

- K

4. clarkbariowa

clarkbariowa Member

Here is something to think about. In six years my p85 might have a 400 mile battery pack. With the way battery technology is going that battery might weigh a lot less. Less weight = faster car :biggrin:. So the potential is there for all models to get faster, especially when the battery weighs 1000 lbs now.