Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Potential Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take delivery of my 85D, and I was looking around at some of the performance threads on P85 vs. 85D etc. (obviously P85D/90DL are in another ballpark), but it got me to wondering with two motors albeit lower advertised HP, what would the envelope look like on a 0-60 for a 85D. Are we at max-performance or could future updates potentially push it even further?

Just curious the thoughts here.

I'm about to take delivery of my 85D, and I was looking around at some of the performance threads on P85 vs. 85D etc. (obviously P85D/90DL are in another ballpark), but it got me to wondering with two motors albeit lower advertised HP, what would the envelope look like on a 0-60 for a 85D. Are we at max-performance or could future updates potentially push it even further?

Just curious the thoughts here.

The only reason the 85D got a performance boost is becuase they put out the 70D and needed a way to differentiate the 85D and justify the cost. I wouldn't expect any further performance improvements from the car since I don't foresee any additional incentive for Tesla to boost this performance.

I can't tell you about curves or graphs, but I have driven both the 85D (my car) and the P85D extensively. There is a noticeable difference on launch as well as at highway speeds. The P85D is so fast though, you can get yourself car sick if you drive it hard, which I did because it was my loaner for 5 days and I wanted to test it out. It feels slightly heavier in the corners.

I also recently had a chance to drive a P85+ for two days and wrote up an extensive comparison here vs the S85D:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ithout/page3?p=1120775&viewfull=1#post1120775

- K

Here is something to think about. In six years my p85 might have a 400 mile battery pack. With the way battery technology is going that battery might weigh a lot less. Less weight = faster car :biggrin:. So the potential is there for all models to get faster, especially when the battery weighs 1000 lbs now.