Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After two month's use, what so called typical or rated range is meaningless. The actual useful range is more important.

I drive mostly in city with about 330 Wh/km. The operating range of the battery is 90% - 30%. The actual range for me is 85000 x 60% /330 = 154km.

Not sure why telegogo should say operating range of the battery is only 60%. Maybe that is realistic when compared to a petrol car (where you don't drive it to empty). I guess it would really depend on if you can charge at home/work or are 100% reliant on public charging.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39349&d=1388325765.jpg

I think a reasonable estimate for usable range is 80% of the 85kWh, less whatever extra margin you want to add on top of that.

So, at 330Wh/km that is 200km.

My wife gets around 220Wh/km (310km) driving around the hills of Clearwater Bay.

I get around 180Wh/km (380km) driving 50% clearwater bay and 50% highway to/from work.

Bottom line is that it depends on where and how you drive. Most people on HK island seem to be getting in the high 200's Wh/km. Kowloon and NT seem to get low 200's Wh/km. That would put usable range somewhere between 220km and 340km.

What I define the operating range is the range between charging. I am not telling any factory data. It's my personal experience.

Yes you can use down to 10% of the battery and I did it once also in the last two months. But only once. I think there is no one who will only go charging when the battery drop to 10%. If I know I may need to go around with my kids tmr, I will recharge my car today even it 50% full.

The range depends on many factors. Everyone is different.
- type of charge you use
- your daily habit.
- how close the supercharging from you.
- your range anxiety.
- your Wh/km

If you have home or office charging, you don't need to care about this because you can have full charged everyday. Otherwise I think this is a more realistic data.

What I define the operating range is the range between charging.

So with a petrol car, if you are uncomfortable going below 1/4 tank, the 'operating range' would be 75% of a full tank?

In your example assuming you charge to 90%, use to 30%, that would be 60% of the usable 67.4kWh. At 330Wh/km, that is 122km. So, if you charge to 90%, and only feel safe going to 30% of your battery, with a 330Wh/km usage, you would need to recharge every 122km. If you are reliant on public charging that is probably reasonable, although I would say the 330Wh/km is extreme and not really what most are getting (even on HK island).

So with a petrol car, if you are uncomfortable going below 1/4 tank, the 'operating range' would be 75% of a full tank?

In your example assuming you charge to 90%, use to 30%, that would be 60% of the usable 67.4kWh. At 330Wh/km, that is 122km. So, if you charge to 90%, and only feel safe going to 30% of your battery, with a 330Wh/km usage, you would need to recharge every 122km. If you are reliant on public charging that is probably reasonable, although I would say the 330Wh/km is extreme and not really what most are getting (even on HK island).

For petrol car, my tolerance is a lot more. I once drove for additional 30km even the display shows 0km remaining. Petrol car is completely different, availability of gas station, time for refill, ... Even the car is out of petrol, I can still take a taxi and buy refill in 30 mins (except you are on highway).

I did not say I only feel safe going down to 30%. I mean I charge my car when the battery on average goes down to 30%. When it goes below 30%, I will think of charging, it may be 10%, 20% at the end. When I know I need more millage tmr, I will think of charging regardless of battery level.

Yes, my 330Wh/km is high because I use insane mode from day one. That's why I say the data is very personal and varies from one to the other. What I want to show is a more real life way of calculating the frequency of charging, but not the data itself.

On the contrary, if you believe the frequency is based on 10%-90% of 404km = 323km, that will never happen.

My observation after using v7 is that the "typical range" is now very (have to bold this) accurate. My 90% "typical range" used to be around 360-364km however I always have to discount this number. Now I found that 90% typical range is 340km, initially I thought "what the ..." is that battery degradation after just 22,500k? After a few tests by observing the actual mileage driven and the corresponding drop in typical range I found this display very very accurate. E.g. if I start from 340k after driving 90k the range display will drop to 340-90=250 + (1 to 3k). And it's always a plus!

I think there is some algorithm change behind the scene making this forecast of range very accurate. Perhaps there is Al - deep learning going on such that the car provides forecast based on places that I go using historical consumption figures.

I have not yet driven below 50% yet so I can't be sure how accurate it could be at the low end which we are most concern about.

However I'm pretty sure the more we drive it the more intelligent it gets!

My observation after using v7 is that the "typical range" is now very (have to bold this) accurate. My 90% "typical range" used to be around 360-364km however I always have to discount this number. Now I found that 90% typical range is 340km, initially I thought "what the ..." is that battery degradation after just 22,500k? After a few tests by observing the actual mileage driven and the corresponding drop in typical range I found this display very very accurate. E.g. if I start from 340k after driving 90k the range display will drop to 340-90=250 + (1 to 3k). And it's always a plus!

I think there is some algorithm change behind the scene making this forecast of range very accurate. Perhaps there is Al - deep learning going on such that the car provides forecast based on places that I go using historical consumption figures.

I have not yet driven below 50% yet so I can't be sure how accurate it could be at the low end which we are most concern about.

However I'm pretty sure the more we drive it the more intelligent it gets!

My typical range after upgrading to V7.0 (no autopilot features) is no difference from before. Always 367-369km at 90% charged.