TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

85D tire wear

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by verdee, Aug 31, 2016.

1. verdee

verdee Member

How are people's tires holding up. I have a little of 20k miles on my 85D, delivered March 2015, and my tires are getting low. I'm on 19s with the Michelin Primacy tires. Fronts are around 3/32 and rears are a little more than 4/32. I'm leasing so would rather not spend this money, but don't think I am going to be able to get through the colorado winter. I am looking at Continental Extremecontact DWS, as the tread pattern looks a little more aggressive to handle snow.

2. Tree95

Tree95 Member

My 19" MXM on S85D lasted about 38,000 mi. I was pleased that the wear was even fronts to rears (only rotated them once), and the wear across each tire was even.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have 25K on my P85DL. The first 21K were done on only the stock 19s. I do daily Ludicrous launches(pretty much at any stop or light were there isn't someone in front of me). I have about 7/32s left with perfectly even treadwear.

So 3/32nds seems quite low especially for a car that isn't putting out as much power on launches.

4. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

One data point here...Model S 85D, 19" wheels, original Michelin Primacy tires (i.e. same as what you have), delivery in May 2015 and just under 22K miles (similar age and miles to your car). Just checked the wear on my tires the other day (all four tires, inner/center/outer), and every measurement was in the 6/32"-7/32" range.

Bruce.

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Ours is at around 11000 mi and the tires are at 7s and 8s.

6. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

"Old Blue 85D" in your sig...Go Bears?

Bruce.

7. mmccord

mmccord Member

My 85D wears about the same. I got 22k out of my first MXM4s. I have 2k on my second set and went through a set of winter tires last winter (22k on those too). Wear is all even.

I drive a lot of non-highway miles at 55-65 mph though. Lots of twisty/hilly roads, stop and go, and driving like I stole it. I would imagine that highway miles would wear the tires less.