Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D vs 90D = 24mi difference in range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2016 Model S 85D, and my range at 100% is 270mi.
Website shows 294mi for 90D. How is that possible, since it's only 5kWh extra?

PS: sorry if this was asked before, I abandoned forum for a while to protest agains the new design)))

Remember the 85KWh was not really 85KWh. But so is the 90KWh as others have suspected here. So you are really looking like 82KWh vs 88KWh. SO maybe it's like 6KWh vs the 5KWh you are thinking. The other thought is more efficient aero from the new facisa and slipstream wheels. Remember the 85D + range upgrade (which is old 90D) was rated at 286. So maybe they eeked out another 8 miles on aero itself.

Remember the 85KWh was not really 85KWh. But so is the 90KWh as others have suspected here. So you are really looking like 82KWh vs 88KWh. SO maybe it's like 6KWh vs the 5KWh you are thinking. The other thought is more efficient aero from the new facisa and slipstream wheels. Remember the 85D + range upgrade (which is old 90D) was rated at 286. So maybe they eeked out another 8 miles on aero itself.
The refresh 90D pack is a new battery and part number from the original last year and they seem to have got a few more miles out of it.