Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D vs P85D vs P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about what to do when the warranty on my brown 2013 P85 CPO goes away next February. Has been the BEST car ever, and my options are to hold on or upgrade to a dual motor. Looking for opinions from the extremely bright forum members. I love the titanium with tan interior, and as of today there is a 85D for $43,100, a P85D for $60,000 and a P90DL for $60,100! Thirteen thousand seems like a huge jump to a ‘P’, but only $100 more for a 90 with ludicrous?
I have read the thoughts on the 90 battery not being great, and I think performance of the 85D Is comparable to what I am currently driving. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

My mother has a P85 which I drove here and there for a year before getting my P85D. The P85 is really more than fast enough. The 85D is basically the same acceleration, but much more planted due to the dual motor. At least those were my impressions. Just a smoother and just as fast acceleration.

The P85D is on another level as you know. You will get the holy sh*t comments when launching. Also handles better if you get the + suspension.

Can't comment on the P90DL since I have not driven it, but there is enough information on the forum to help you make a decision on that. Seems to be to avoid the v1 and v2 batteries. Depends how much you value the insane/ludicrous acceleration. To me it wouldn't be worth 17k, but I also wouldn't want to not have it. If you have until next February, perhaps wait and see what comes up.

I am thinking about what to do when the warranty on my brown 2013 P85 CPO goes away next February. Has been the BEST car ever, and my options are to hold on or upgrade to a dual motor. Looking for opinions from the extremely bright forum members. I love the titanium with tan interior, and as of today there is a 85D for $43,100, a P85D for $60,000 and a P90DL for $60,100! Thirteen thousand seems like a huge jump to a ‘P’, but only $100 more for a 90 with ludicrous?
I have read the thoughts on the 90 battery not being great, and I think performance of the 85D Is comparable to what I am currently driving. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

85D owner here, have driven a couple of P85+ as service loaners and enjoyed them. IMHO the P85 and S85D similar in terms of acceleration performance, but the 85D does feel a bit more planted (as someone upthread pointed out already). Sometimes I envy the older single-motor cars with their cavernous frunks.

Is Autopilot important for you? The 85D and P85D would both have Autopilot 1 hardware, and the P90D probably does as well (well either AP1 or AP2). That'd be another significant change in capabilities compared to your pre-AP P85. I think it's a game-changer for long-distance drives, even without a lot of the more recent AP2/AP2.5 bells and whistles.

Bruce.

The later 75D was rated 0-60 pretty darn close to the P85 and close on rated miles due to the AWD efficiency bump.

I have an out of warranty 2014 P85 myself. Haven't driven a 75D but on paper the late ones with the performance bump to separate them from the 3 are attractive. It is a small performance drop from the P85 but not a lot.

I'd spring for the P90DL for the extra $100. It's a slightly newer car with a slightly larger battery pack, but considering the slightly higher degradation of the 90 packs, the range may be equal to the P85D. And every once in a while, hammer it from a stop, and put a ludicrous grin on your face.

Reactions: byeLT4
The P with D decreases range by a reported 17 miles over the 85D. Having said that I won't be trading mine in to get 17 miles more range. :cool:

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 4.40.47 PM.png

I like the response from #rpo the best. Like a friend said to me three years ago when I was deciding between an ms85 and a p85, “ you’re gonna be dead a long time, go for the P!”

Now there are several P90DLs for under $60K. Not quite in the market, but in another 11 months, I might be.

Our motor , battery warranties run out at 8 yrs. CORRECT.?
I have a question i put to service manager last week. "Since you just installed a new motor in my car, does the NEW motor now have a 8 year warranty? "
Reply " i have no clue, no one ever asked that question". She said she had just transferred from Fremont to here.
Seems reasonable to me.

Ludi all the way with these low prices man! The 85D by comparison is just an appliance. FYI I got my p85d with ludicrous for $53.3k private party (seller bought the 100k extended warranty which transfered with car). Point being yes prices are in that range. I driving a 100d loaner currently with 2400 miles and it’s slowwwwwwwww by comparison ;)

Ludi all the way with these low prices man! The 85D by comparison is just an appliance. FYI I got my p85d with ludicrous for $53.3k private party (seller bought the 100k extended warranty which transfered with car). Point being yes prices are in that range. I driving a 100d loaner currently with 2400 miles and it’s slowwwwwwwww by comparison ;)
Hrmmm after driving it around a bit I take that back. It’s very quick for a non p car, but I think there’s a big difference between a new 100d and a used 85d or 90d, cooling of pack, speed ect. I do prefer my model S’ tighter suspension though, the 100d has a lot of nose up / nose down feel on hard acceleration and braking

Other than faster 0-60 times (especially with Luda), I thought the P and non-P dual motors were similar in acceleration performance. For example, someone posted a side by side in another thread of something like a 30-80 mph comparison and it was within .1 to .2 seconds. I’d be curious to see some more comparisons at different speeds.