Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While there has been a good amount of prior discussion about the dual motor whine (I feel like I read almost everything there is on this topic before my purchase), nothing I read indicated how bad the "normal" whine can get (other than the milling sound where Tesla is replacing the DU).

Tesla should be more open about this issue at the time of purchase. If a potential purchaser of a new dual motor Tesla knew how bad it could get, would the purchaser still spend $100k+ to purchase dual motor? Did I miss the clause in my purchase agreement that read, "By signing below, you hereby acknowledge and agree that (i) your dual motor vehicle may develop a whining sounds that will annoy the s$@t out of you and (ii) you are waiving all rights and remedies with respect to such whining sound."

I have two friends currently looking at purchasing a Tesla. I will be sure to steer them away from a D.

This seems strange to me. I wonder if it has to do with variation in sound dampening materials. I drove around this weekend with stereo off. I hear the whine whenever I accelerate but it goes away at about 40 mph and is absent at highway speeds, although tire noise is significant above 60 mph or so. I have a June 2015 delivery 85D with 42k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
It just does not seem right that a car this expensive can have a whine 100% of the time when moving. I can live with the acceleration whine, but the other whining is driving me crazy. Yesterday I could hear it with the music volume on 6.5 (not quiet) and a/c running. Sometimes the sound is closer to nails on a chalkboard. The car I test drove (a 100D) did not have anything like this.

I'll stop "whining" now... :)

Mine is definitely not that bad. In fact since I saw this thread a few days ago, I've really been listening for the whine and it is truly insignificant on my 85D. It is under very light load at 40-50mph and barely noticeable. I even messed with the Range mode toggle to see if I could get it to be louder, and it was nothing like what I previously remember.
If my memory serves me correct, in previous firmwares it was much more prevalent. (I'm on 2017.28.4 cf44833)
When i 1st took delivery of the car the SvC manager at the time convinced me that it would be resolved with firmware, so maybe that is the case???

f my memory serves me correct, in previous firmwares it was much more prevalent. (I'm on 2017.28.4 cf44833)
When i 1st took delivery of the car the SvC manager at the time convinced me that it would be resolved with firmware, so maybe that is the case???

I don't think the firmware is the issue, I am also on 2017.28.4 cf44833.

After testing some more over the weekend, it seems 49-50mph is maximum whine/nails on a chalkboard, which can be heard over moderately loud music and is especially bad if I slightly depress the accelerator. As I get over 55, the whine decreases in volume.

I have a 75D made in 11/2016 with about 4k miles so far. I drove around last night with the radio off to listen for any whine. I was only able to hear a tiny amount at lower speeds and a little more during regen braking. It does sound like the ignition noise that leaks into an aftermarket sound system in an ICE car. I did notice it was a little worse in range mode. None of these noises were loud enough to be annoying at all. With any other ambient noise like radio, open windows, conversation, or road noise above 30 mph or so, it is totally drowned out anyhow. I would not characterize this as a mechanical sound like gears milling. Hope this helps.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Muzzman1
I had exactly this same issue on a new (2016), refreshed S90D that developed after about 3,000 miles. The service center told me that replacing the motor unit was unlikely to reduce the noise on a long-term basis as all of the 90D drive units were developing this noise, some sooner, some later. I have sensitive hearing and the whine (like screeching chalkboard or a dentist drill) was unacceptable to me. Some passengers in my car had the same reaction as I did. Others could hardly hear the whine. Luckily, I leased the car when the 90 day lease Happiness Guarantee was still available. I returned the car under the guarantee for only this issue, and am looking forward to purchasing another Tesla when this manufacturing defect has been resolved. Perhaps the new 75D and 100D units have mods where the whine has been eliminated but personally I would need certainty on this issue before proceeding with a Tesla dual motor car again.

• Informative
Reactions: LiverpoolFC
I don't think the firmware is the issue, I am also on 2017.28.4 cf44833.

After testing some more over the weekend, it seems 49-50mph is maximum whine/nails on a chalkboard, which can be heard over moderately loud music and is especially bad if I slightly depress the accelerator. As I get over 55, the whine decreases in volume.

This is exactly my experience on our 2017 S90D while the 2017 S60 and 2014 S85 (replaced DU for milling) are basically silent at 40-50.

Still the regen power of the D is more important to me. Wish the inverters were silent.

Just a thought. We have a 2014 CPO S85 (single motor). We had a hum sound that started around 40mph and the pitch kept increasing as speed increased. They first replaced the drive due to a clunk sound and I hoped the hum. Unfortunately the hum was still there. It went back a week ago and they ended up determining it was 3 of the 4 wheel bearings were going bad. Now no hum - glorious! Ours was a low mileage New England car and my assumption is that the winter road sand/salt might have something to do with it though the service center said they hadn't had the issue before.
I too have had a similar experience... I'm still scratching my head over how 2 wheel bearings could go bad in a car with less than 36k miles on it... I've never replaced bearings in any car ever.... and I've racked up some serious miles on some in the past. I'm now hearing this drone again and I'm concerned because I have a long road trip coming up from Atlanta to Arkansas

Update. Got a call from SC yesterday — based on the audio recording made by my SC, the Tesla engineerrs determined that there is a problem with the front drive unit, so there are going to replace it! I really appreciate the local SC taking seriously my concerns and escalating the issue to the engineers.
Nice.
Wish there was a way to determine if my 70D's whine is as bad as yours.

My 70D whine is completely masked at volumes even lower than "7".
Looking forward to hearing your evaluation of the whine after drive replacement.

My DU was replaced last week. It's hard to believe, but it sounds exactly the same, with the whine still being worst around 49mph. Not sure what do to. Since the Tesla engineers listened to a recording and concluded there was an issue before, they would have to agree there is an issue now...

My DU was replaced last week. It's hard to believe, but it sounds exactly the same, with the whine still being worst around 49mph. Not sure what do to. Since the Tesla engineers listened to a recording and concluded there was an issue before, they would have to agree there is an issue now...

Dropped off MS at SC today for evaluation of the second DU. Loaner Model X has the same whine at half the volume...