Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh vs 100kWh: Does it fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the best of my knowledge, all the packs are still basically the same. I've read that D packs are slightly different from RWD packs, but I'm not quite sure how (connectors?)

The 100 pack has a significantly different internal arrangement and cooling set up, but still the same overall size I believe.

Really interested in the theoretical possibility of swap my 85kWh pack by a 100kWh or even 90kWh pack at some point.

Not wanting to know if it's interesting financially (at the moment) or if Tesla wants to help. Just want to know if it will actually fit in my Model S from 2013.

BMW and Renault are offering battery upgrades for their older i3 and Zoe models, really nice.

I am sure WK057 could do it. If he had time between his other projects.:)

The D packs do have an extra high voltage connection for the front motor. A safe and effective way to remove or block it would be needed.

The 100 kWh pack likely weighs more than an 85 pack. The difference in weight between the old 60 pack and the 85 did require suspension changes. I don't know if the 100 would or not.

Software changes likely will be needed for the 85 car to reconize the 100 pack, and vice-versa.

It may be more practical to keep driving your 85 and save up for a new (or CPO) 100D in the future.

GSP

I saw mention in another thread of a nearly new MS P100DL salvage selling for roughly $7000. (I'm not sure if that was the actual final bid.) Moving that pack to a 60D sound like an upgrade worth doing if you could get the full use of the 100kWh.
As more Teslas enter the world, and more salvage as well, I can forsee businesses that specialize in "hacked" or "overclocked" cars.

I saw mention in another thread of a nearly new MS P100DL salvage selling for roughly $7000. (I'm not sure if that was the actual final bid.) Moving that pack to a 60D sound like an upgrade worth doing if you could get the full use of the 100kWh.
As more Teslas enter the world, and more salvage as well, I can forsee businesses that specialize in "hacked" or "overclocked" cars.
If it was $7000 I bet battery was effected by crash.

I am sure WK057 could do it. If he had time between his other projects.:)

The D packs do have an extra high voltage connection for the front motor. A safe and effective way to remove or block it would be needed.

The 100 kWh pack likely weighs more than an 85 pack. The difference in weight between the old 60 pack and the 85 did require suspension changes. I don't know if the 100 would or not.

Software changes likely will be needed for the 85 car to reconize the 100 pack, and vice-versa.

It may be more practical to keep driving your 85 and save up for a new (or CPO) 100D in the future.

GSP
True, but I still would like to know if it can be done.

Sure, @wk057 knows. Might be that I want to swap my pack in two years and not buy a new car.

Reactions: GSP
Anyone know if (when my battery decides to degrade beyond my needs) a 100 battery will fit into a 2012 85? Or has the architecture changed enough to not make that possible?

Tesla has said that the 100kWh pack is not compatible with the P85D, so P85D owners can't upgrade to a P100D like P90D owners can.

Of course in a number of years when an old 85kWh pack has degraded enough to need replacement there is nothing stopping Tesla from making a 100kWh pack that is compatible, but the current pack is not.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I'm hoping to find out what the deal is with this mysterious 100 pack once and for all. I bought (and overpaid a bit) for the first (and only so far) P100D salvage Model S. It's expected to arrive next week.

However, the car may be repairable, in which case it wouldn't be in my best interests to remove and/or open up the pack. If that turns out to be the case, its been suggested that I do some kind of crowd funding campaign to convince me to do it anyway. I'm not sure how much actual interest there would be in such a campaign, however.

I'm hoping to find out what the deal is with this mysterious 100 pack once and for all. I bought (and overpaid a bit) for the first (and only so far) P100D salvage Model S. It's expected to arrive next week.

However, the car may be repairable, in which case it wouldn't be in my best interests to remove and/or open up the pack. If that turns out to be the case, its been suggested that I do some kind of crowd funding campaign to convince me to do it anyway. I'm not sure how much actual interest there would be in such a campaign, however.

How much would the campaign have to raise?

Finding out might be worth $20 or so to satisfy my curiosity, but it wouldn't be worth big dollars to me - not sure how other folks feel or how many curious people we could corral.

How much would the campaign have to raise?

Finding out might be worth $20 or so to satisfy my curiosity, but it wouldn't be worth big dollars to me - not sure how other folks feel or how many curious people we could corral.

If I plan on fixing the car, dropping and opening the pack would ensure that it is impossible to pass Tesla's already impossible recertification process, and I would have to then lower the price the car accordingly when selling it. So, I wouldn't even want to remove the pack, let alone open it, in that case for at least approximately that difference... which would be a few $k or so. My guess is I wouldn't gather up enough funds from curious folks to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Saghost
If I plan on fixing the car, dropping and opening the pack would ensure that it is impossible to pass Tesla's already impossible recertification process, and I would have to then lower the price the car accordingly when selling it. So, I wouldn't even want to remove the pack, let alone open it, in that case for at least approximately that difference... which would be a few $k or so. My guess is I wouldn't gather up enough funds from curious folks to make it worthwhile.
Worth a shot. I'd be in for $20.

That wouldn't be the one talked about in this post would it? Ferris Bueller Sequel

If so, that makes my assumption that it didn't really sell for $6,200 more likely.

I know I would be interested in seeing the insides! Is it bad to hope that it has lots of damage? (Seems unlikely since the OP of the thread I mentioned went and looked at the car in person and said: "We were salivating since it looked like an easy restoration"

Tesla has said that the 100kWh pack is not compatible with the P85D, so P85D owners can't upgrade to a P100D like P90D owners can.

Tesla says that about a lot of changes but it's often wrong. Why they do this is hard to know, but they do it all the time. Latest example as I've noted in another thread is the new higher resolution rear camera, which they say does not work on older cars. Actually, it's plug and play on my three year old car.

Reactions: Matias

I tend to think this is more about the second phrase than the first - about Tesla needing a convenient excuse to not offer upgrades to P85Ds. Of course, we still don't know much about the 100 pack and I've never had any of the cars apart, so I certainly could be wrong...