Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh vs 100kWh: Does it fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But would a 90kWh fit in a non-D 85 for example? Would it work?

Except for a brief period at the beginning, 90 kWh packs are all AWD packs, so you'd have that issue about blocking the front power ports safely. Other than that, I'd think it would fit - Tesla built both types of cars on the same line at the same time for a while, and I can't imagine they'd want to deal with them being different unless there's a good reason for it.

Except for a brief period at the beginning, 90 kWh packs are all AWD packs, so you'd have that issue about blocking the front power ports safely. Other than that, I'd think it would fit - Tesla built both types of cars on the same line at the same time for a while, and I can't imagine they'd want to deal with them being different unless there's a good reason for it.

There are no "front power ports."

Reactions: rabar10 and MP3Mike
Fit? Yes. Work? I don't think so. I don't believe they have any RWD firmware for the 90 packs.
Ok, understood. I always thought that the BMS was coupled to the battery and that the FW in the cars is generic and just got it's information from the BMS.

There are no "front power ports."
So that means that technically the 90kWh would connect to the 85kWh Model S, but then you have the challenge of getting the car to talk to it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Okay, I'm confused. Upthread @GSP specifically said there were additional ports on the D battery for the front motor.

Can we maybe get a photo comparison to settle this once and for all?

No idea where anyone would get that idea.

Don't have a photo handy, but the D cars simply have a HV cable that runs from the rear junction box to the front motor. In newer cars they did away with the junction box and use what they call a "rapid splitter" directly on the HV connection in the rear of the car to split the HV between the two motors and charger.

There are no HV connections in the front of the pack. Just the coolant connector.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
No idea where anyone would get that idea.

Don't have a photo handy, but the D cars simply have a HV cable that runs from the rear junction box to the front motor. In newer cars they did away with the junction box and use what they call a "rapid splitter" directly on the HV connection in the rear of the car to split the HV between the two motors and charger.

There are no HV connections in the front of the pack. Just the coolant connector.

20170123_095028.jpg

Looks like I do have an OK photo to show this actually. This is a side by side of the P85s original pack (right) and the P85D Ludicrous pack I replaced it with (left) when doing my P85++ modification.

Photo is from the rear, but there is definitely no second connector in the front of the left pack. It would have to be on a top-facing surface, and those are all visible.

Plus it'd make little sense anyway. The pack contactors are in the rear.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm confused. Upthread @GSP specifically said there were additional ports on the D battery for the front motor.

Can we maybe get a photo comparison to settle this once and for all?

WK057 knows better than I, for sure!

I thought I had read about different packs for the D models, with separate connections for the front motor, here at TMC when the D's were first released. Sorry about spreading misinformation.

GSP

Looks like I do have an OK photo to show this actually. This is a side by side of the P85s original pack (right) and the P85D Ludicrous pack I replaced it with (left) when doing my P85++ modification.

Photo is from the rear, but there is definitely no second connector in the front of the left pack. It would have to be on a top-facing surface, and those are all visible.

Plus it'd make little sense anyway. The pack contactors are in the rear.
Nice! So we just have to figure out a way to have a Classic Model S from 2013 accept a new 90kWh pack?

Not saying I'm willing to do it right away, but might be interesting when my Model S turns 5 in 2018.

Well, it's definitely doable one way or another, just doesn't appear to be doable officially. For example, I can put a 90 pack in my modded P85 because it believes it's a P85D now... so any pack should technically work. Could probably rig something similar for S85s.