Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh vs 100kWh: Does it fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen the top of the mountain... and it is good...

p100d-cells-closeup.jpg

I'll leave this for a teaser. More details tomorrow. ;)

Interesting. Not the flexible circuit board design from the patent folks were discussing last month.

Interesting thread you got here. I too have been interested in knowing if packs are interchangeable. I have a late 2014 S85 and a 2017 S60D coming in a month. Ideally the 85 would become a software limited 60 and the new one would become a one off facelift 85D with AP2. Now I haven't asked Tesla because I already know what their answer will be but I'm definitely interested in knowing if its possible to do without changing a bunch of hardware. If these things are plug and play with maybe a software tweak, then I'd definitely be interested in looking into it some more.

So the pack upgrade cost is $ 20 K - and that is if you already have a P90D. The cost for an 85 -> 100 is likely even higher. Why wouldn't you just buy new?
We will see in 2 years or so. Not saying I'm doing it right now. But I like the idea of just swapping the back in a vehicle which is still working just fine. No need to build a new one while the older one still works.

Reactions: JasonA-EV
We will see in 2 years or so. Not saying I'm doing it right now. But I like the idea of just swapping the back in a vehicle which is still working just fine. No need to build a new one while the older one still works.
I totally agree!

I love my Leaf and it's fun as hell to track and drive around! (no cooling or power issues) but if Nissan would have just come out with a bigger battery that fits (even by a small margin) a 35 to 40kw battery would have been great!

The car/mechanics outlive the battery. Do you throw a flashlight away when the batteries die?

I'd love a newer/bigger pack in 4 to 5 years when mine shows some degradation possibly.

I've been trying to find a definite answer on this. I have a 70D at the moment on a least. I like to keep it, but 70 Kw battery is a bit small. Returning it would cause me to lose the grand father unlimited charging.

I would love to find a definite answer and cost to replace it for something like an 90 kw battery.

I would love to find a definite answer and cost to replace it for something like an 90 kw battery.

You're never going to get that from Tesla. You're going to get silence. Implementing a battery replacement program is effectively admitting failure of fundamental Tesla technology. Tesla's position is no doubt that fleet average degradation doesn't warrant a battery replacement program. So far, high mileage/age examples support that position.

The non-answer from tesla will fuel wishful thinking. At best one or two people will be able to post an itemized breakdown from some random battery replacement under warranty, or possibly from out of warranty 'good faith' work, and that information will will further dilute the 'definite' answer you're waiting for...

There simply is no business case for Tesla to replace batteries. There's no incentive for them to 'help out' a very small number of owners who want to keep their cars for a long time, and there's no incentive to help non-owners who only want to buy and upgrade a used car.

The good news is that there WILL be an aftermarket for battery upgrades. There's also the likely possibility that in that scenario and upgraded car will keep its 'free' supercharging.

I have a 70D at the moment on a least. I like to keep it, but 70 Kw battery is a bit small. Returning it would cause me to lose the grand father unlimited charging.

Have you run the numbers on how much you would spend annually on paid supercharging?

You're never going to get that from Tesla. You're going to get silence. Implementing a battery replacement program is effectively admitting failure of fundamental Tesla technology. Tesla's position is no doubt that fleet average degradation doesn't warrant a battery replacement program. So far, high mileage/age examples support that position.

The non-answer from tesla will fuel wishful thinking. At best one or two people will be able to post an itemized breakdown from some random battery replacement under warranty, or possibly from out of warranty 'good faith' work, and that information will will further dilute the 'definite' answer you're waiting for...

There simply is no business case for Tesla to replace batteries. There's no incentive for them to 'help out' a very small number of owners who want to keep their cars for a long time, and there's no incentive to help non-owners who only want to buy and upgrade a used car.

The good news is that there WILL be an aftermarket for battery upgrades. There's also the likely possibility that in that scenario and upgraded car will keep its 'free' supercharging.

Have you run the numbers on how much you would spend annually on paid supercharging?

True. lol

I've been trying to find a definite answer on this. I have a 70D at the moment on a least. I like to keep it, but 70 Kw battery is a bit small. Returning it would cause me to lose the grand father unlimited charging.

There's a chance that they would sell a new (and bigger) battery for models S and X at some point. The roadster is precedent for this. It doesn't seem likely that they would offer any trade in value for the old battery. I have a 60d and could imagine upgrading in the future. The only hope to control the cost is the dropping price of cells. A lot depends on the supply demand dynamic for cells.

Tesla has said that the 100kWh pack is not compatible with the P85D, so P85D owners can't upgrade to a P100D like P90D owners can.

Of course in a number of years when an old 85kWh pack has degraded enough to need replacement there is nothing stopping Tesla from making a 100kWh pack that is compatible, but the current pack is not.

I hate to beat a dead horse again, but Tesla says that about a lot of things. Experience tells me not to believe them -- I've done a lot to things Tesla says can't be done.

And who is "Tesla has said." A tech at your service center, Tesla coporate (better known as the Temple of Doom), or just rumor?