Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWhr Model S reduced Supercharging rate reduction confirmed by TOCWA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the post...I have never been below 27% SOC, so my SC speeds since the update are lower than yours. I usually aim for 33%, but will rethink that.

With these changes, I wonder if I can trust the car or trip planners to accurately estimate the time and departure SOC for an extended trip?

With these changes, I wonder if I can trust the car or trip planners to accurately estimate the time and departure SOC for an extended trip?

I'm affected very much. Maybe more so than others. I just did a 4000 mile road trip. The estimated times are not far off. Looks like Tesla did adjust those with the reduction of the charge speed. A 100% charge takes much longer than estimated by the car, though. But then, there is no point charging more than 95% on a trip while waiting for it. The amount of time it takes and range it adds makes no sense. It's better to leave and drive a little slower.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
So, after today's bad Tesla news, thought I'd stop by the Valencia CA, SC, and cheer myself up by baggging a few free electrons.

Car warm, 44% SOC, and all I got was 34KW. One factor that was different was I shared a stall. I tried dialing up the AC, thinking that the power would be free, and at least I could cold soak the car and keep the AC off on the short trip home, but found that by doing so, my rate dropped a few KW! I don't recall it doing that before the 50.6 update....

Anyone else have any recent data points on their Supercharging experience with the 85kWh pack? I visited a V2 Supercharger for the first time since April 2019 and was pretty disappointed to see it max at 71kW with a 20% SOC after a 100 mile drive. I was able to add 130 ranged miles but left once the charge rate dropped to 40kW.

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the hardware in my S85, the Supercharger, or if it's the dreaded limitation through software. We have 80K miles on the car and primarily Level 2 charging it at home overnight.

85D, EU version, same experience about two weeks ago — charge rate went to 100kW for a few seconds, then dropped to ~80kW and was at 70kW by the time I reached ~20% SOC. So far service center is ignoring me (I don't normally use Superchargers, this was after I went there to test louvre assemblies replacement, which was claimed to cause slower charging).

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
These are my terrible speeds at an urban supercharger, 72kw not shared. I have a 2014 S85.
IMG_0470.pngIMG_0471.pngIMG_0472.pngIMG_0473.pngIMG_0474.png

These are my terrible speeds at an urban supercharger, 72kw not shared. I have a 2014 S85.
View attachment 474170View attachment 474171View attachment 474172View attachment 474173View attachment 474174

That IS terrible. Is that an average Supercharging session or an anomaly? My last session at an Urban 72kW Supercharger was reasonably fast. It started to taper from 72kW at 96mi and down to 50kW at 142mi. It took 40 minutes to add about 120 range miles.

In my case, the Urban charger was faster than the V2. I'm not sure if I had a bad stall at the V2 or if it's my car.

Do you think something is wrong with your car, the Supercharger, or is it because of the software update limiting you.

If that's true, you should also be okay with Tesla taking away anything that you paid for at any time. I'm amazed how many Tesla owners—presumably successful individuals with money—are quick to subvert their own best interests to that of a multi-billion dollar corporation that doesn't think twice about removing value from a car it doesn't even own.
some owners drink that Elon juice every day yo.
i love my Tesla, but find the company and it's employees to be completely incompetent & dealing with them is so stressful I am going to get rid of my car.

maybe I'll be back in a Tesla one day.. but i doubt it

Reactions: darxsys
That IS terrible. Is that an average Supercharging session or an anomaly? My last session at an Urban 72kW Supercharger was reasonably fast. It started to taper from 72kW at 96mi and down to 50kW at 142mi. It took 40 minutes to add about 120 range miles.

In my case, the Urban charger was faster than the V2. I'm not sure if I had a bad stall at the V2 or if it's my car.

Do you think something is wrong with your car, the Supercharger, or is it because of the software update limiting you.

Urban Chargers were always slower than Superchargers. They're meant to have the car left there for hours while you do other things (shop, eat, see a movie). Not sure why there's a taper though...

Urban Chargers were always slower than Superchargers. They're meant to have the car left there for hours while you do other things (shop, eat, see a movie). Not sure why there's a taper though...

I think you have the terms confused. There are Superchargers (Fast-DC charging) and Destination (AC) chargers. Superchargers should take between 15 minutes to an hour of charging compared to destination chargers that are meant for longer durations like a sit-down meal, movie, or hotel stay.

V1 - Paired stalls with a max output of 105kW (out-dated and updated to V2):
220px-Charging_Tesla_Model_S_01.jpg

V2 - Paired stalls with a max output of 120kW later updated to 150kW:
how-fast-is-tesla-supercharger-v3-300x200.jpg

V3 - 250kW max:

Tesla-V3-Supercharger-01.jpg

Urban Supercharger - 72kW unpaired stalls:
images

Destination Charger - 19.2kW Max for dual charger equipped models
images

Reactions: avesraggiana