Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

86% of June Model 3s "reworked"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are you saying all of these folks are just Tesla haters?
No, I'm not saying all folks, I'm saying I don't know how many. I'm not saying they are Tesla haters, I''m saying that some of these reports are suspicious and probably are the result of someone (maybe a Bummer owner) trying to spread FUD or someone who is being paid to write a negative review who will never own a Tesla.

How would you be able to know if they are genuine owners who joined to find out how to resolve an issue they've encountered?
That is the problem with believing everything you read on the Internet, you don't know. TMC is useful for some things but not so useful for other things.

I for one have joined several user forums (Klipsch, Apple, eg) when I've faced issues with products.
How often did you join a users group when you DIDN'T have an issue with a product? User groups tend to attract people with "issues" giving a false negative sense to overall customer satisfaction.

Everyone can't always be out to get us. Put differently, not everything is "fake news."
I agree - not everything is fake news and not everything is the truth news. Sometimes it is "alternative truth" which means outright lies.

How often did you join a users group when you DIDN'T have an issue with a product? User groups tend to attract people with "issues" giving a false negative sense to overall customer satisfaction.
That was the point I was making earlier. The fact that many people joined to voice concern over a delivery provides some insight into the extent of the QC issues. And to add to this, even in this thread there are a few well known TMC members (some with over 3,000 posts) that have made observations about their family or friend's delivery or post-delivery problem.

I'm a big EV enthusiast and have owned an EV for nearly 7 years now. That said, the best thing for all of us to do is not fall prey to fanboyism and conspiracy theories. A healthy dose of constructive criticism is good and helps to push further innovation, improvement and awareness. For example, I don't doubt that the extensive "checklist" threads have given Tesla some guidance as to where users/owners have experienced the most concern and disappointment.

That was the point I was making earlier. The fact that many people joined to voice concern over a delivery provides some insight into the extent of the QC issues. And to add to this, even in this thread there are a few well known TMC members (some with over 3,000 posts) that have made observations about their family or friend's delivery or post-delivery problem.
Okay, can we agree that .2% (that's point 2 percent) of total buyers have posted on TMC with issues and some of those are suspect. How does that compare with other automakers? Superlative I would guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and SoCalGuy
If we are sharing anecdotes, my neighbor just took delivery of a 3 two weeks ago, his first Tesla. He had a drive unit failure on day 2 with 80 miles on the odometer. I haven't heard if he got his car back yet.

So there are some cars with real problems out of the gate. Who knows what the overall numbers are though.

Case in point.
We have Neighbour’s reporting issues for cars they don’t own.
When was the last time you heard a Neighbour reporting on a flaw your Ford had.

BTW- this wasn’t a dig on you Az-Real.
Just making a general point.

Hmm interesting 6/7 is 86%... It could have been a change to the line done on the 7th day that they decided they needed to go back and "fix" on every car made the previous 6 days. Perhaps they decided an extra zip tie was needed on a harness or something.

Or perhaps a robot was not performing something properly and they had to fix the issue on every car off the line for the first 6 days until the robot was fixed (i.e. better to keep the line going and fix manually afterwards until robot part was flown in from Germany).

There are a lot of simple explanations that could explain the 86% repair factor. 37 minutes per car fix is pretty short. You have to count access time, fix time, close up time and re-inspection.

But, it is a much more dramatic story if you can write that there was a defect in 86% of the cars, rather than a known issue that they were working with to keep the line going.

Actually rethinking it, it was probably more along the lines of:

Critical week, to appease share holders we have to get to 5000 cars come h377 or high water! The company could sink if 5k is not made!

Flubber bot ZX1a breaks down 24 hours into critical 5k week. Engineer repair team says repair time would be about 8 hours. But, they could be wrong it could take a lot longer if damage is worse than they thought. Flubber bot is in an area of the line that humans cannot enter when the line is running (too dangerous).

A. Do you stop the line for 8 hours (remember to make 5k you have to have a car go by the robot every 2 minutes 30/hour x 24x7 is 5040 cars)? If you do you will be 240 cars short of your 5k promise... But, it could be more cars short if ZX1a take many more hours to fix!

B. Keep the line moving and manually Flubber the cars at the end of the line, i.e. rework 86% of the cars scheduled for the rest of the week to keep your 5k promise?

I bet they would take option B and just fix it after production.

Case in point.
We have Neighbour’s reporting issues for cars they don’t own.
When was the last time you heard a Neighbour reporting on a flaw your Ford had.

BTW- this wasn’t a dig on you Az-Real.
Just making a general point.

I think it just shows how popular Teslas are. My neighbor chased me down at my mailbox when I had my S to pepper me with questions about it. When I got my 3 he asked if he could take a look since I had the first one in the area. So when he had to have his 3 towed, he texted me that since I had been his local Tesla entuthusiast/ambassador and to see if my car was still doing OK. If the 3 had referrals at the time, he would have been one of mine, I imagine. I know other folks keep in contact with their in-person referrals and help them after the sale.

I think he never would have chased me down in the first place if I owned a brand new Ford Escape, so, yeah, I would never know if his broke down day one. Now, if we had both owned Ford GTs or some other enthusiast/unusual car, I imagine I might know more about his issues. Just like I do know about his Tesla problems.

I'm a huge Elon fan, but one of the problems with him starting a war with the press is it creates more incentives for them to write crap like this. It seems like the frequency of Linette Lopez hit pieces has gone up and are even more sensationalist than before. Even though I think she's an idiot, I'm pretty sure if Musk didn't go after her so hard, she wouldn't be digging so hard and churning out this crap so frequently and vindictively.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vitold
Lost in all of this is the fact that the car can have blemishes and flaws, and it's STILL far better than other cars.
A perfect GM Bolt is not better than a Model 3 with janky paint and a charger door that's not flush.
In the end, customer satisfaction and intention to purchase again are the ultimate measures.

Note that in that article the ‘industry expert’ *thinks* that good rate is 65%

He *thinks* because numbers are confidential and are not offered by other manufacturers.

Also note that the expert did not say what the rates are ‘good’ for new lines.

In any case, it is great that Tesla cares about quality and fixes the issues instead of covering them up.

Last edited:
You mean like faulty braking that required a third party to uncover?

By "faulty" you mean decreased performance only in a specific corner case of the CR testing protocol of repeated full panic stops which were not duplicated by other third party magazines that also tested panic stopping but unique to CR's testing protocol?

-- yes like that.

That Tesla can be responsive to even corner cases that are unlikely to be replicated in consumer driving and solve them with an OTA update is impressive.

Reactions: P85_DA
O.K let be honest. Elon had to get 5,000 cars in a week of he would of taken far too much heat at the earnings call. He had to make at least one promise on time.

There had to be a directive that all cars would be built no matter what. No line shutdowns and no delays in fixing issues. The cars were build most likely faster than the plant in capable of at that time. There were a large number of defects that had to be fixed before delivery.

Is that the way to build cars in normal production? I think not but this was not a normal time. Elon had a mission to get to 5000. Although technically they may not of hit 5,000 in the 7 day period they got very close.

The following weeks it seems production fell dramatically. Part of that may of been time to finish the builds of those 5,000 cars. The rest was most likely to fix the areas that were problems in the push for 5,000 cars.

I am sure if you went through those 5,000 cars at the end of the quart you may of been very surprised. Most of them were most likely not ready to ship.

This is one way of increasing production. Push it until it breaks. then fix what broke and continue. I suspect most other car manufacturers go thru growing pains on new production lines. I do think than more engineering goes into production engineering with conventional manufacturers. Then again Tesla is not a traditional manufacturer. It is just is difference in philosophy.

I don't think anyone believes that cars produced now have anywhere that number if defects. Tesla learned in the production pushes and has made improvements. I really looks like paint is the issue now. Paint is difficult to fix later and I suspect the next push will not happen until they is more capacity in paint.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01