Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$860 worth of "rodent damage" to my S's wiring.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same happened to me. Don't know when or where the rodents got to it but I had a couple of woodsy trips prior so I think perhaps one of those times. The car normally lives in my garage and the weather here is pretty temperate so I didn't notice the symptoms (no heat/AC) for an indefinite amount of time.

First sign was on a trip in January with little/no heat, It was just after getting some repairs done at Tesla so I figured they forgot to plug something in. I took out the front tub and started poking around looking for a disconnected connector and found an eaten harness instead. I repaired it, got the heat working but then discovered no AC, looked further and found another munched harness. Fixed that, thought it was all good.

THEN I noticed I was getting a weird sound through my stereo when I would put on the right turn signal, sounded like a cat Meow, or a "laser blaster" sound. I have an aftermarket audio system so I figured it was related to that, ignored it for a while but eventually got aggravated enough to talk to my local tesla ranger and he did some digging.....he discovered ONE report in tesla's knowledgebase of grounded wiring going to the fender marker light causing some kind of "laser blaster sound" feedback into the audio system. Weird but sounded like the same thing.

We went to the car, turned on the turn signal....no fender light. Opened up the fender well and looked around....another chewed up harness. Put it back together and all is well.

It sounds like most of us had the same wires chewed on, they happen to be right above one of the coolant hoses under the cowl. I suspect those hoses are nice and warm after driving and perhaps during charging, nice spot for a rodent to hang out, stay warm, and have a soy snack!

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag