Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8bitdo Wireless Adapter and SN30 Pro Controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone able to use the SN30 Pro controller wirelessly with the 8bitdo adapter? I cannot get it to work on my MCU2 (90D upgraded). The controller connects to the wireless adapter, but does not get recognized by the MCU for cuphead and others. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

tl;dr: Set your controller and/or wireless adapter to X mode or X input. That is the hidden trick that gets Tesla to recognize the controllers as if they were Microsoft/XBox kind of controllers.

I just upgrade my 2016 Model X 90D to MCU2 as well, and managed to get the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller to work both wired and wirelessly (with the 8Bitdo USB Adapter).

For wired, I had to start the controller in "X-Mode" which is also the Windows mode (Manual). This is when you turn the controller on with Start+X both held until the light turns on. For the Pro+, the bottom LEDs light up the left two LEDs letting you know it is in this mode.

For wireless, I had to update my 8Bitdo USB Adapter to v1.33, specifically for the SN30 Pro+. Then, you only need to do this once, you need to switch the 8Bitdo USB Adapter to "X-Input" which I assume is the same as Windows mode (Manual). This is done by having your wireless controller already paired with the 8Bitdo USB Adapter, and pressing and holding SELECT and UP for 3 seconds. The adapter will blink like 3 times and restart itself. At this point, unless you do another hold select + a direction arrow for 3 seconds, you should never need to do this again.

Now, my 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ will pair with my 8Bitdo USB Adapter, and I can do Beach Buggy Racing and Cuphead. Before these little X-mode/input tricks I couldn't do any of the new games, only the old ones.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this 8bitdo SN30 xbox edition work in x-mode? I can only get SkyForce to work, Sonic and any other games do not work. I've tried several ways to get it to X-mode but no luck.
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg