Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8th Annual Sound of Silence Tesla Rally! May 20-22, 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very special thanks to all the people who attended LAST year's SOS event, May 2021. Myself and the Chamber of Commerce are already hard at work planning for next year (2022). Since we are filling their largest event space, it is likely that next year attendance will be limited to 200 PEOPLE, and how many cars that equates to. It is very likely that people will be turned away, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO JUST SHOW UP, UNANNOUNCED. I think it would be wise to watch for registrations to open and REGISTER. A word to the wise, Mac.

Thanks for the heads up. The Black Hills area of SD is just amazing and Mt Rushmore is stunning since it was pressure washed of decades of air pollution a few years back. And the National Park in the Badlands is well worth a side trip while you're there. They have small cabins for rent and the restaurant serves reasonably good food.
https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/...CC49DEF98E.jpg?width=950&quality=90&mode=crop

Thanks for the heads up. The Black Hills area of SD is just amazing and Mt Rushmore is stunning since it was pressure washed of decades of air pollution a few years back. And the National Park in the Badlands is well worth a side trip while you're there. They have small cabins for rent and the restaurant serves reasonably good food.
https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/...CC49DEF98E.jpg?width=950&quality=90&mode=crop
One reason they're called the Badlands is because the water there contains a fine mineral silt (don't recall its name right now) that make it undrinkable by man nor animal. It's an incredibly beautiful area though.

We stayed at a cabin in Badlands NP and it was really nice. Didn't try the food as we drove over to Wall for dinner and skipped breakfast to get moving again. I was surprised to see the superchargers in Wall, but didn't see any Teslas there.

This trip was to get my daughter and her car to Aspen Co for her summer gig. I can't wait to get back in my Tesla. I was headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park today and the T in front of me just took off from a light. Her Camry could barely get going.

• Funny
Reactions: kindofblue
There are several of us who put a lot of time into this rally. Thank you! I rented a car last year and the feel in was the same as yours. I AM pressing on the accelerator but WHAT? Oh wait, I am speeding up now, slowly. Maybe I should have rented a PERFORMANCE car, not a cheapest rental? The guy at the gas station had to come out and help me. Good grief!! I have had EVs since 2013 and I had forgotten all the steps to gassing your car. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Try to come visit with us in 2022 in Custer. Mac

There are several of us who put a lot of time into this rally. Thank you! I rented a car last year and the feel in was the same as yours. I AM pressing on the accelerator but WHAT? Oh wait, I am speeding up now, slowly. Maybe I should have rented a PERFORMANCE car, not a cheapest rental? The guy at the gas station had to come out and help me. Good grief!! I have had EVs since 2013 and I had forgotten all the steps to gassing your car. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Try to come visit with us in 2022 in Custer. Mac
It is a LOOONNNGGGG drive from NYC to Custer, now that I've done it. In an SR+ it would be even longer. I did a trip planner on it in the Tesla app and the number of stops I'd have to make was just too many, although we made a lot of stops on this trip too. (Even Mitchell, SD has a supercharger!) It is doable of course but I didn't really buy the car for these kinds of trips. I'd have bought the LR if I thought I would do this.

Since I've had my Tesla I've only driven two other cars, my daughter's Camry and a Porsche Boxster. Guess which one was still fun to drive?

Hey, Zacster! Make a plan! Take off work! You have (almost) a year to plan. Drive your SR+ and just go. We will introduce you as the least likely owner to attend this rally. Driving across the country in a Tesmobile is sweet! Mac
Work isn't an issue! I retired 2 years ago, so that isn't an excuse.

One question though. What kind of range do you get driving 80+mph on I-90 the entire day? Here in NY you can go that fast but you risk getting pulled over so you don't just consistently drive like that.

Today Fred at the Custer Chamber of Commerce said middle of January registration will open up. Such enthusiasm for an awesome town. Great people.

Any details on when registration will be open?

If I may provide some feedback on the proposed 200 person cap, my suggestion would be to limit the dinner to 200 people, but don’t limit the whole event due to that one venue’s capacity.

Charge a nominal fee for the dinner on top of the registration fee. Some people will pay for it and other people will opt to break off into smaller groups at other local restaurants.

If we wanted to do an indoor event to accommodate more people than the brewery, we could rent the new music venue that’s in town. I stopped in there on Saturday night and they have a great setup for a large gathering.

There is a great opportunity to build this event and bring a lot of pre-season business to Custer. Don’t rein in this great momentum with a 200 person limit.

Thanks for all of the hard work that goes into this. It’s a really amazing weekend!