Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9/17 Accessory hitch now optional

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
I read that differently. I thought the wording meant that the 1.25" hitch mount was a no-cost option, but you can opt to replace that with the diffuser plate if you want a sleeker look and don't have any interest in towing or using hitch-mounted storage accessories. I think including the 1.25" hitch mount is important to address the issue of no roof-mount storage options on the X.

I read it as the accessory hitch is included for sigs and the full-blown towing package costs money. This could very well mean the accessory hitch and towing packages are cost options on production vehicles.

Paul Carter

Apr 27, 2013
Canada
I read that differently. I thought the wording meant that the 1.25" hitch mount was a no-cost option, but you can opt to replace that with the diffuser plate if you want a sleeker look and don't have any interest in towing or using hitch-mounted storage accessories. I think including the 1.25" hitch mount is important to address the issue of no roof-mount storage options on the X.
Good point. Its listed under the standard equipment too, so confusing its an "option" to add.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Good point. Its listed under the standard equipment too, so confusing its an "option" to add.

It looks like they'll add the accessory hitch if you want it but otherwise they won't. I don't understand why they would do that, it just seems like it'll complicate things but I don't really know much about making cars so I'll just trust Tesla.

Yggdrasill

Feb 29, 2012
Kongsberg, Norway
It's probably very easy to install the accessory hitch. It might even be something they've decided to do at the service centers, to take some of the load off the factory.

Last edited:

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
Being someone who has never used a hitch for accessories, I was wondering if anyone knew if the tailgate is generally operable when accessories are mounted. My guess is probably not, and the image seems to corroborate that. If so, it seems like a bit of an annoyance vs. roof racking. That said, getting items in and out of the accessory hitch looks like a much more pleasant activity. :smile:

Mar 4, 2014
United States
Being someone who has never used a hitch for accessories, I was wondering if anyone knew if the tailgate is generally operable when accessories are mounted. My guess is probably not, and the image seems to corroborate that. If so, it seems like a bit of an annoyance vs. roof racking. That said, getting items in and out of the accessory hitch looks like a much more pleasant activity. :smile:
It depends! I have a bike rack for my Honda Pilot that has a pin which will allow the unit to pivot down and out of the way of the tailgate without removing the bikes. It works quite well:
sr_ELEMENT_05.jpg

I also have a storage shelf that fits into the receiver that sits low enough to allow the tailgate to rise as long as I don't have anything too tall (> 2 ft?) sitting on it.

It's possible the Model X tailgate rises more than swings back so that it can be raised without hitting the accessory. In looking at the render provided, it appears this might be the case.

Last edited:

hockeythug

Jun 3, 2013
Minnesota

Obviously would depend on the clearance the hitch accessory has from the rear but looking at how a Model S's rear hatch opens I don't think it would take that much.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P3MKLK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009SM5H2C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XAPX55G4RBZR2170Z86

It's really useful to be able to swing it out of the way. This one also has an optional ski rack accessory.

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-HitchSki-6-Ski-Adapter-Hitch/dp/B000EG3ZUC/ref=pd_sim_468_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RH3QF866VTYXWV575E9

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
Excellent. Thanks for the replies, everyone. That certainly makes it much more convenient. Possibly more convenient than roof racks..? :eek:

flar

Apr 20, 2013

Someone already posted an actual image of one example of the feature but, as someone who has recently shopped a whole bunch of bike racks, I just wanted to point out that some sort of swinging/tilting/paradoohickeyleveralizing action is actually pretty common among higher end hitch racks (> $300 or so).

MartinAustin

Jul 21, 2013
Austin, Texas USA

The tailgate of the Model S reaches out less than 6" from the back of the car when it is raising up... pretty nice actually.

From looking at that photo, I'm optimistic that the rear trunk will be able to rise up without touching the stuff that's hanging off the back.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
One question remains, though.

2" receiver is described as "removable".
The accessory hitch is described as "factory installed".
The option says "when not installed", but that text is listed as part of the option and then below the break they reiterate "factory installed" again.

"Factory installed" implies to me something that isn't easily removable, but "when not installed" implies that it can be uninstalled.

Is this a case of:

- base car has diffuser permanently installed
- simple (low cost or free) option to permanently install a very simple bolt-on 1.25" hitch
- more expensive option to include a full tow package which includes a more complicated removable 2" hitch (possibly with a diffuser that can be used when removed)

Or, is it a case of:

- base car has diffuser in place of hitch, can be removed for either hitch
- low cost or free option to include a 1.25" removable hitch
- more expensive option to include full tow package with 2" removable hitch

Most cars that have after-market hitches available, the hitch bolts onto 3 or 4 parts of the frame and you leave it on permanently. It could be unbolted, but it is too much of a hassle to add and remove as you need it. Many of them come as "hidden hitches" which basically are recessed back from the bumper so they aren't as visible when not in use - the intention being that they can be left installed all the time and remain discreet, but still installed, when not in use. Note that the hidden hitches don't always work with all accessories since many are manufactured for decent clearance only if the receiver opening is even with the back of the vehicle. This has actually impacted me in my search for a bike rack because I originally opted for a hidden-style hitch as the rack I originally purchased had a long tongue, but later I wanted a nicer rack and only a couple came with a tongue long enough to clear my bumper when folded.

The X obviously has the capability for a removable hitch, based on the description of the tow package, but the mechanism for that may not be simple or cheap and so they may only bother with it if you opt for the full tow package. Does the description of the base accessory sound like the 1.25" receiver is a bolt-on "not really removable" hitch or not? My gut feel is "not", but I may be reading too much into it.

Also, the picture of the 1.25" hitch does not look as recessed as most of the hidden hitches that I've seen, which might lead some to prefer a removable hitch for looks when it isn't in use.

tritonx

Nov 1, 2012
Redwood City, CA
Model X Hitch Explanation?

I just got a call from Tesla explaining the new 6 seat option as well as a hitch option. Did anyone else get that call? I'm still not quite clear on how that option changes the car and I haven't seen anything posted yet. Any info would be welcome!

tritonx

Nov 1, 2012
Redwood City, CA
So tells us what they told you about each of those!

I think your thread has all the information about the 6 seat option that I got, plus it has nice pictures! essentially, 2nd row can be 2 captain chairs instead of the original 3 seat bench. The hitch seems like it's something related to the body work that allows something? extra storage? that can be deleted. Not sure.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
The hitch seems like it's something related to the body work that allows something? extra storage? that can be deleted. Not sure.
I couldn't really think of anything besides wiring. But they do have that unique option (towing mode) that detects trailer sway. I think that is very cool but no one seems to care about it.

Cosmacelf

Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
To be accurate, the 3 seats in the second row is NOT a bench, but three independent seats. And the two seat option doesn't say anything about "captain's chairs" but just says there will be two seats with a space between them. Will they have arm rests? Who knows?

Cosmacelf

Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I couldn't really think of anything besides wiring. But they do have that unique option (towing mode) that detects trailer sway. I think that is very cool but no one seems to care about it.

I care about it! A lot of people have not had much experience towing, but if you have, then software to help with swaying is very nice indeed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC