Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$9,300 off inventory Model S 75D - end of Q3 firesale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who may be sitting on the fence about purchasing a Model S, I have detailed the discounts that I just received in case it's useful in your own purchasing decision.

I ordered a 75D, Deep Blue, Autopilot, Pano, NextGen seats, and 19" Primacy Tire upgrade. The total price would normally be $88,200. Here's a breakdown of the detailed discounts that I received:
$7,600 adjustment;
$1,200* waiver of the Transportation and Doc fee (BUT, they charged me $500 for transportation, details below);
$1,000 referral discount (of course you can use my referral code if you don't already have one: http://ts.la/jordan3466 )

GRAND TOTAL: $78,900 (or $9,300 off!)

* The waiver of the Transport and Doc fee seemed a bit ad hoc, and I know that not everyone has received this offer. My sales guy said that he could only waive these fees if I accepted delivery before the end of the month. This supports the general consensus that Tesla is offering these incentives to boost Q3 revenue (and profits?). I would also note that he was only able to waive these fees if I agreed to pay for the transportation of the inventory vehicle from California to Denver, so this additional "incentive" may not be worth much at all to buyers who need to ship a car cross country.

One lesson learned is that it pays to get on the phone with your Tesla sales rep. I had used th ev-cpo website (an awesome resource) to narrow down a list of 2 or 3 cars, but Tesla will offer some additional discounts over the phone that are not yet listed on the site.

Anyway, I hope this more detailed breakdown of the incentives I received is helpful to those of you who are deciding on your own purchases. This is way more than I've ever spent on a car before, so every little bit helps! My wife and I had test driven the Model S three weeks ago and decided to wait to purchase it because we just couldn't quite rationalize the price, and we thought we would have to go with the 60D, not the 75D! These unexpected incentives helped us finally pull the trigger and get our dream car.

I noticed that as well. They seem to have a bunch of more or less loaded cars for sale, with the only missing features being RFS and Smart Air....
Using TeslaInventory.com, I was able to find 19 with Smart Air Suspension and discounts from $2800 to $18100.

I did find 43 CPOs listed with RFS and Smart Air with discounts up to $10000.

Reactions: MountainRoad
I noticed that as well. They seem to have a bunch of more or less loaded cars for sale, with the only missing features being RFS and Smart Air....
I don't think it's a mistake. At least mine was coil and not air.

After test driving the coil Model S in the mountains here in Colorado, I decided that I really liked the way it handled. But take that with a grain of salt because, although I drove the SAS on normal roads in Denver, I didn't test drive the air suspension equipped car on any mountain roads, and I was probably trying to justify any savings I could. Also, I may regret not being able to raise the car up higher in heavy snow.

I don't think it's a mistake. At least mine was coil and not air.

After test driving the coil Model S in the mountains here in Colorado, I decided that I really liked the way it handled. But take that with a grain of salt because, although I drove the SAS on normal roads in Denver, I didn't test drive the air suspension equipped car on any mountain roads, and I was probably trying to justify any savings I could. Also, I may regret not being able to raise the car up higher in heavy snow.

I'm in Colorado also. I decided on the air suspension mainly to get up my parents driveway when I go visit as it's very steep. Although lifting it in the snow is not a bad idea either. Just picked my 90D up in June, so I haven't experienced snow in the Tesla yet.

Thanks Erik

The Air suspension is useful IMO. It does make a bit of noise when rising and lowering and when it is adjusting. But under normal driving condition you would not notice. Where it helps is steep driveways like others have said and also at supercharging stations. I usually raise it to max and then I don't have to worry about the cement block scraping the bottom of my car when backing in.

I got excited this morning in reading about the discounts thinking it was an additional amount off the prices listed on ev-cpo and tesla.com's listing of the vehicle, but then realized the prices already take the discount into account :( Not that it matters, the discounts are really nice, and hopefully we will keep seeing them. (esp. when more 60D's start showing up.) Might be able to convince the wife to jump into an S instead of waiting for the 3.

I'm shocked anyone is shocked Tesla is marking down inventory Models that aren't the newest Model, are used (pre-owned ) and/or have had some service done on them. This looks like a good business move by Tesla.

Note: Some of them might have been store Models, or loner vehicles.
Do you think that the inventory vehicles with less than 50 miles on them are used (pre-owned) and/or have had some service done to them? It's my impression that most of these inventory vehicles are new, often direct from the factory, but that the key characteristic is that they are already built and ready to be delivered before the end of the month, thus allowing Tesla to include these sales in its quarterly statements.

That said, I'm curious if others have different explanations/guesses for why Tesla is discounting these inventory cars so aggressively? Could this presage Autopilot 2.0 hardware, for example? Or could Tesla be seeking to move inventory before unveiling additional details about the Model 3? If Tesla shows that Model 3 will have far superior features compared with the current Model S, better Autopilot for example, I could see a lot of people deciding to hold off on a Model S purchase.

What do you think?

Do you think that the inventory vehicles with less than 50 miles on them are used (pre-owned) and/or have had some service done to them? It's my impression that most of these inventory vehicles are new, often direct from the factory, but that the key characteristic is that they are already built and ready to be delivered before the end of the month, thus allowing Tesla to include these sales in its quarterly statements.

That said, I'm curious if others have different explanations/guesses for why Tesla is discounting these inventory cars so aggressively? Could this presage Autopilot 2.0 hardware, for example? Or could Tesla be seeking to move inventory before unveiling additional details about the Model 3? If Tesla shows that Model 3 will have far superior features compared with the current Model S, better Autopilot for example, I could see a lot of people deciding to hold off on a Model S purchase.

What do you think?
This is for the quarterly numbers and to make tesla look like a strong company before the additional stock offering to raise capital for the model 3.

So, I was using www.teslainventory.com to see what was available, even though I have a MS on order for December delivery. I found one that was exactly like I ordered, but for a few thousand less. I contacted my OA who said it was too far away to take delivery by the end of Q3, so he started sending me snapshots of inventory cars he thought that I would like that were not on the Tesla webpage. Finally, he sent one that was cheaper than my original order by $1k and had many more upgrades. I was floored.

I ended up pulling the trigger a couple of hours ago for delivery next week. The original cost was $92,200 and I'm buying it for $82,500. Like @MountainRoad mentioned, they waived the delivery/doc fee and gave me a referral cost reduction. My OA verified that it had the standard 50 miles on it and had never been driven - it was brand new.

The X is marked down as well, with discounts up to $15900 off performance models currently.

There are a few non-performance Model X that have been marked down but the discounts aren't as big as on the performance models.

There were some with heavier discounts, I got one (a bit over $20K off I think), but not many... Mine was a loaded Signature Model X P90D with ~5K miles, and worked out to have *very* favorable terms with the 24 month lease. Also, like many of the best deals, mine was not listed on any of the various inventory web sites (including the "hidden" sections which I have access to), the OA found it for me... If you're definitely interested, make sure you have an OA look in case there is something that's only available internally.

So, I was using www.teslainventory.com to see what was available, even though I have a MS on order for December delivery. I found one that was exactly like I ordered, but for a few thousand less. I contacted my OA who said it was too far away to take delivery by the end of Q3, so he started sending me snapshots of inventory cars he thought that I would like that were not on the Tesla webpage. Finally, he sent one that was cheaper than my original order by $1k and had many more upgrades. I was floored.

I ended up pulling the trigger a couple of hours ago for delivery next week. The original cost was $92,200 and I'm buying it for $82,500. Like @MountainRoad mentioned, they waived the delivery/doc fee and gave me a referral cost reduction. My OA verified that it had the standard 50 miles on it and had never been driven - it was brand new.
Congrats! Happy to hear this worked out for you as well. What are the specs of your Model S?

Walking around a nearby supercharger, most of the freshly made cars on the lot have no designation badge. They have the T and 'Model S' but no indication of their subcategory. Could be 60(D) or 75(D) based on how they choose to sell it - they'll just tack on the badge as the last thing before sale.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSqB
Walking around a nearby supercharger, most of the freshly made cars on the lot have no designation badge. They have the T and 'Model S' but no indication of their subcategory. Could be 60(D) or 75(D) based on how they choose to sell it - they'll just tack on the badge as the last thing before sale.
At the Cripple Creek, CO rally last month, we noticed a new S that didn't have a badge. The owner said he was one of the first to get the new 60 and they didn't have the badge in stock yet. He'll get the badge installed the next time he visits the service center.