Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9.355 @ 150.85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from Famoso Drag strip outside of Bakersfield. It was a Redlist event so all street cars.

The track is 50 miles from the nearest Supercharger so I arrived at ~85% SOC. Also it was over 100 degrees, with the high showing 103. Very thick air, I knew it would be very tough to go fast tonight even without the car caring about the air as much as an ICE.

The car‘s best run was a 9.355 @ 150.85. I knocked off a few 9.3’s at 150ish then when I got down into the low 70’s% SOC the car slowed ever so slightly to low 9.4’s. A 9.44, 9.42 and 9.43. All at 149 mph. I don’t know if the SOC is what cause the slowing or if the track was getting slower. I suspect the SOC though as the car consistently slowed ever so slightly. I cannot be sure though.

I purposely ran the car with both waiting for the Cheetah Stance to be complete and without. There was no difference, a 9.36 with Cheetah vs a 9.35 without. I’m not really convinced it matters much to the car if the surface is well prepped and traction is good. For sure Cheetah takes too long and leaves you there looking like a fool with like a 6 second reaction time.

Somewhat interesting, Drag Race mode took 18 minutes to complete. I had done it around town and it took like 5 minutes previously. I’m not sure of the difference although I suspect it’s heat related.

Also, I did not gut the interior. I had all the seats and whatnot. I took out the shelf in the back and just easily removed items, but not anything of any real substance.

Again, it was really hot and everyone was running very slowly compared to their normal times. I ended up running 6 runs. The track personnel wouldn’t show my times and wouldn’t let me reach anyone because the car is too fast and has no safety equipment. But they didn’t throw me out so that was appreciated.

The best part was that we couldn’t get anyone to race me. Prior to realizing that the track would not allow anyone to race me (they didn’t tell me until my final run) I talked to a bunch of people to see if they wanted line up. Hellcats, Mustangs, etc…no takers. As soon as they realized what it was, they were all like no thanks. 😆. Of course there were faster cars there, but not many.

I’m pretty amazed and super happy with the times considering the conditions. After the 6 runs the Autopilot drove us nicely back to LA in quiet comfort. This is such an incredible vehicle.

Last edited:
Just got back from Famoso Drag strip outside of Bakersfield. It was a Redlist event so all street cars.

The track is 50 miles from the nearest Supercharger so I arrived at ~85% SOC. Also it was over 100 degrees, with the high showing 103. Very thick air, I knew it would be very tough to go fast tonight even without the car caring about the air as much as an ICE.

The car‘s best run was a 9.355 @ 150.85. I knocked off a few 9.3’s at 150ish then when I got down into the low 70’s% SOC the car slowed ever so slightly to low 9.4’s. A 9.44, 9.42 and 9.43. All at 149 mph. I don’t know if the SOC is what cause the slowing or if the track was getting slower. I suspect the SOC though as the car consistently slowed ever so slightly. I cannot be sure though.

I purposely ran the car with both waiting for the Cheetah Stance to be complete and without. There was no difference, a 9.36 with Cheetah vs a 9.35 without. I’m not really convinced it matters much to the car if the surface is well prepped and traction is good. For sure Cheetah takes too long and leaves you there looking like a fool with like a 6 second reaction time.

Somewhat interesting, Drag Race mode took 18 minutes to complete. I had done it around town and it took like 5 minutes previously. I’m not sure of the difference although I suspect it’s heat related.

Also, I did not gut the interior. I had all the seats and whatnot. I took out the shelf in the back and just easily removed items, but not anything of any real substance.

Again, it was really hot and everyone was running very slowly compared to their normal times. I ended up running 6 runs. The track personnel wouldn’t show my times and wouldn’t let me reach anyone because the car is too fast and has no safety equipment. But they didn’t throw me out so that was appreciated.

The best part was that we couldn’t get anyone to race me. Period to realizing that the track would not allow anyone to race me (they didn’t tell me until my final run) I talked to a bunch of people to see if they wanted line up. Hellcats, Mustangs, etc…no takers. As soon as they realized what it was, they were all like no thanks. 😆. Of course there were faster cars there, but not many.

I’m pretty amazed and super happy with the times considering the conditions. After the 6 runs the Autopilot drove us nicely back to LA in quiet comfort. This is such an incredible vehicle.
Great work! The SOC combined with the track friction seems to be what happened.🙂

Great work! The SOC combined with the track friction seems to be what happened.🙂
Thanks! Yeah, I know it’s no shock, but what a wicked fast car. Everyone was just like, nope, I’m not running the Tesla.

But yeah, my final run was at 61% SOC and still a 9.42. So that’s pretty stout for that SOC In my view. And yeah, the heat and air and all was just slowing cars down.

Thanks! Yeah, I know it’s no shock, but what a wicked fast car. Everyone was just like, nope, I’m not running the Tesla.

But yeah, my final run was at 61% SOC and still a 9.42. So that’s pretty stout for that SOC In my view. And yeah, the heat and air and all was just slowing cars down.
Exactly! It'll apparently still run a 9.5 at 50%. Additionally, it seems as though the Plaid doesn’t really like the dragstrip that much, and that the friction slows it down. Your trap speed is quite indicative of that. The Plaid seems to prefer the street, as that's where it's getting 9.23 and 1.99 0-60.

Exactly! It'll apparently still run a 9.5 at 50%. Additionally, it seems as though the Plaid doesn’t really like the dragstrip that much, and that the friction slows it down. Your trap speed is quite indicative of that. The Plaid seems to prefer the street, as that's where it's getting 9.23 and 1.99 0-60.
Oh make no mistake, it really, really liked the drag strip. 😁. Nobody else there liked it though! 😜

It sounds so crazy to be saying it only went 150. Most videos I’ve seen it seems to run 153-154, so I was hoping for that. And of course 9.2’s would have been nice. But whatever, it’s a strange perspective to be complaining about those kinds of stats!

But I’ll try it again when it’s more favorable conditions and see if that helps. Perhaps it is just the friction, but I’ve seen enough turn better times and mph that I think the heat definitely didn’t help. And then there’s the issue of that I have no way of getting to the track with more than 85% SOC. I’ll have to find a different track. Kind of a shame that drag racing, which was born in SoCal, is so difficult to do in SoCal now.

Oh make no mistake, it really, really liked the drag strip. 😁. Nobody else there liked it though! 😜

It sounds so crazy to be saying it only went 150. Most videos I’ve seen it seems to run 153-154, so I was hoping for that. And of course 9.2’s would have been nice. But whatever, it’s a strange perspective to be complaining about those kinds of stats!

But I’ll try it again when it’s more favorable conditions and see if that helps. Perhaps it is just the friction, but I’ve seen enough turn better times and mph that I think the heat definitely didn’t help. And then there’s the issue of that I have no way of getting to the track with more than 85% SOC. I’ll have to find a different track. Kind of a shame that drag racing, which was born in SoCal, is so difficult to do in SoCal now.
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining at all! Just making observations. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Great work, and hopefully in a better day, you get some even better times.🙂

Reactions: 2022roadster

The best part was that we couldn’t get anyone to race me. Prior to realizing that the track would not allow anyone to race me (they didn’t tell me until my final run) I talked to a bunch of people to see if they wanted line up. Hellcats, Mustangs, etc…no takers. As soon as they realized what it was, they were all like no thanks. 😆. Of course there were faster cars there, but not many.

Nice write up. Have you considered debadging to get more takers?

I’m getting my Plaid fully wrapped when I pick it up in a few days, and I’m seriously contemplating leaving the Plaid badge off until I get some runs in at my local drag strips.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I’m definitely considering it now!
If you do, recommend doing it earlier vs. later for two reasons:
1) Many of the same guys come to the local tracks, so best to make it a sleeper now vs. later if ever wanting to race them down the road
2) Removing the badge now reduces the chance of any UV fade marks around the badge

Btw, my local detailer wrapping the car told me he uses a sheet of spare PPF to act as a stencil and ensure it is placed back on the same location.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid