Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9-day USA Tour

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Now planning to do the 50 in one calendar year (this year) challenged by my son. Can't wait to see Big Sky again.
Are you talking about seeing 50 states in your Tesla?

https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/...rip-to-every-lower-48-u-s-state-takes-8-days/
or
Science Says This is the Perfect U.S. Road Trip

Let me know what your plan is for Alaska, I am waiting for the cyberTruck to try that, don't wanna damage my pretty TM3.

I could also do Alaska in the RV, might even be cheaper not stopping in hotels, but I thought I would save enough in windshields that I should wait for the cT.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS

Tacoma Dave

Aug 2, 2018
Tacoma

https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/...rip-to-every-lower-48-u-s-state-takes-8-days/
or

Let me know what your plan is for Alaska, I am waiting for the cyberTruck to try that, don't wanna damage my pretty TM3.

I could also do Alaska in the RV, might even be cheaper not stopping in hotels, but I thought I would save enough in windshields that I should wait for the cT.

You might consider this cheating, but you could always take your Tesla to Alaska on the ferry: Alaska Ferry, Alaska Inside Passage Ferries, Ferries Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska Tours, Alaska Ferry Cruises & Alaska Vacations, Viking Travel.

Bighorn

Top Supercharger
Jun 19, 2013
Big Horn, Wyoming
I considered AK last year, but the stories of other successful, intrepid travelers included a lot of negotiations to plug into welding circuits along the way. I think I’d have to carry an extra wheel or two in those circumstances. It will get easier as the pioneers wear a path.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
No... not Alaska or Hawaii, but my blue M3 will be with me everywhere else.
Will be flying to Anchorage (just the airport) to change to a flight to Hawaii.

I did investigate driving to Alaska, but who has that kind of time? The ferrying of the car.... mucho bucks.
Planning to start in late April or May - depending on weather cuz going thru NV to ID and across the North, turning south in Minn - zigzag halfway down middle, back up to north over to NY cross to VT, NH, Maine. South thru Mass, RI, Conn over to Jersey, South thru Del, MD, DC, VA, edge of WVa. down to NC, SC, GA, FL panhandle. Then west, AL, Miss, LA, ARK, Tex, skirting OK, NM, Four Corners (for COLO, AZ, then UT, over to NV and back home in CA.
But before that, a weekend trip to Portland, OR and just cross the Columbia river to claim WA.

Reactions: Big Earl

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula

or

Well, not aiming for state capitals. My goal is the 'Welcome To' signs. A few states, simply crossing a river (shortest being Cairo, Illinois) about 2 miles at southern tip. Same for Maine, Tenn, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Arkansas, W.VA., Minn, Colo, and maybe Ariz.
About 10 - 11k miles.... timeline - variable. I may stop halfway... park the M3, and fly home for a few days. Will visit some relatives, and a few friends. Sightseeing - been there done that for most, only thing comes to mind is Niagara Falls (never saw). And stopping at Rock n Roll Hall of Fame again. Others will appear.

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
That's a 9 day trip if you don't drive too much each day. I hope you are not planning on visiting Hawaii by getting out of the plane and then climbing on another one headed back to the continental US. The problem with doing the Just Touch kinda trip (which my dad dragged us to touch Alaska in a frickin' Dodge RV in '75) is there is nothing to break up the monotony.

There are other trips that visit at least one interesting location in each state, obviously there are national parks in most states. Those are the kind of trips to do if you have the time.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
9 days seems very aggressive. I can average 60 MPH (including charging) in my Model 3 if I push. At 14 hours of driving per day, 11,000 miles would be 13 days. I’ve been known to do 16 to 18 hours days, but for no more than a couple of days consecutively before sleep deprivation sets in.

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Doesn't look like 11,000 miles:

a4594173467119674146fda76e563cc6.jpg

Guess it depends on where you start. I'd rather visit something rather than just nicking the corners of each state.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
Okay I just spent entirely too much time on that, but I actually got a route similar to Randy's that starts and ends in Maine that hits all 48 states and every province other than Newfoundland. 9600 miles and 157 hours.

To just hit all 48 states and go from Kittery, ME to Lookout Pass, MT takes 6,778 miles and 109 hours. I'm really shocked it's that easy!

I was just eyeballing and making my best guesses as to the route. Going roughly off of Randy's path.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
That's a 9 day trip if you don't drive too much each day. I hope you are not planning on visiting Hawaii by getting out of the plane and then climbing on another one headed back to the continental US. The problem with doing the Just Touch kinda trip (which my dad dragged us to touch Alaska in a frickin' Dodge RV in '75) is there is nothing to break up the monotony.

There are other trips that visit at least one interesting location in each state, obviously there are national parks in most states. Those are the kind of trips to do if you have the time.

Quick answer... Hawaii will coincide with a trip to the timeshare on Kauai for at least a week. Been a couple of years - long overdue. The Alaska part will be just me - S.O. not interested - will meet up with S.O. in Hawaii

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Not planning to leave till May, but will be visiting brother in law (3 day weekend) who lives near Portland, OR - so a jump across the Columbia will take care of Washington.
My trip(s) will be in the 3 and have scoped out SpC's as the main object - but not going for SpC record. You guys are way ahead of me. Will submit my route later today.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Yes, willing to share about the actual trip - just not sure where to post.
9 days ???? I wanna die a different way. Right now driving is my job (Pebble Beach Resort) - vacations need to be different. Looking at a VERY flexible 3 - 4 weeks with (as I mentioned) a one week flight home and then back to resume (location TBD). Have received several requests to "stop by" for a beer - that should slow me down.
At least the number of SpC's now makes this easy.
If someone wants to pony up shipping the car to Hawaii and back - I'm open. I'll even do the drive to Alaska for that.

Reactions: Big Earl

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
This feels like it should be split off as it's own thread. Perhaps we can get a moderator interested in creating a "9-Day USA tour" thread and move these posts to it. Then you can update your status in that thread.

If you are looking for a chase car I might be interested. I am comfortable sleeping at chargers and driving all day. I do Supercharger Hunting as my retirement hobby.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC