Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9-day USA Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok.... a bunch of permitted charging stations just announced for Canada. Looks like they are getting close to Alaska (still almost 400 miles within in range of Stewart). So - I'm thinking just maybe I can drive to Alaska on this 50 state trip - so close - but still gotta get those chargers built. Hawaii continues to be a problem - I am resolved that airplane is the only way. - will have to leave the Tesla home.

While we're on the topic, can someone explain to me why SHEETZ puts the cheese on their cheesesteaks after they go in the oven? Surely this cannot be sanctioned. Who wants luke warm slices of cheese? The first time I thought it was a mistake. The second time, I saw the guy doing it and asked him to put it back in the oven. He explained that there's a certain order they are supposed to do things in and that's the order for that sandwich. I told him to put it back in the oven :)

While we're on the topic, can someone explain to me why SHEETZ puts the cheese on their cheesesteaks after they go in the oven? Surely this cannot be sanctioned. Who wants luke warm slices of cheese? The first time I thought it was a mistake. The second time, I saw the guy doing it and asked him to put it back in the oven. He explained that there's a certain order they are supposed to do things in and that's the order for that sandwich. I told him to put it back in the oven :)
Guessing they want to circumvent a melted cheese in the oven cleaning session. No, this is ludicrous. Some places (that I already mention which are crowd favorites) use cheese whiz. Antichrists!!! Once, my cousin looked at it and threw it as far as he could. (Philly)

Just worked out an interesting add on to my trip... On the Monterey Peninsula there is a chocolate 'factory' called Lula's Chocolates.
Fantastic chocolates !!! Can find out at Home
It is owned by Scott Lund (original owner). As a child, he learned to make chocolates from his grandmother, who was widely known for her candy in Salt Lake City. After she passed Scott kept her cooking equipment and moved to the Monterey Peninsula to set up shop where they have become very popular with locals and many visitors to the area.
Anyway, I am going to take 50 boxes of chocolates to hand out 1 in each of the fifty states (to strangers). And with that box I will include a post card on the cover of which is the state I am currently in - and will request that person drop a note to Scott with their response to the chocolates. About halfway thru the trip, I will have the second have shipped to me to maintain freshness.
Mr Lund was not asked to donate these - I insisted on paying for them myself as I don't want this to seem like a sales venture. So... if you see me out there, it may be your states turn to get some chocolates. Trying to share my hometown goodies with others.
(I just have to be sneaky and make sure my wife doesn't see them first.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
With very few exceptions, the farther from Philly you get, the worse the cheesesteak. (I was in Reading once and they put some kinda sauce on it... c'mon....).
My safe radius is about 25-30 miles, but past 20 it starts to get risky

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Wow. I contemplated doing bay area to vancouver bc in my sr+ and quickly came to conclusion that spending 2+ hours on charging wasn't worth it.
I hear ya.... Fortunately I have routed my trip thru the 45 states using SpC's and with luck everything will go as planned. Hahahahaha. Yeah, but now there are many altefrnatives which hopefully won't disrupt the plans.

No... not Alaska or Hawaii, but my blue M3 will be with me everywhere else.
Will be flying to Anchorage (just the airport) to change to a flight to Hawaii.

I did investigate driving to Alaska, but who has that kind of time? The ferrying of the car.... mucho bucks.
Planning to start in late April or May - depending on weather cuz going thru NV to ID and across the North, turning south in Minn - zigzag halfway down middle, back up to north over to NY cross to VT, NH, Maine. South thru Mass, RI, Conn over to Jersey, South thru Del, MD, DC, VA, edge of WVa. down to NC, SC, GA, FL panhandle. Then west, AL, Miss, LA, ARK, Tex, skirting OK, NM, Four Corners (for COLO, AZ, then UT, over to NV and back home in CA.
But before that, a weekend trip to Portland, OR and just cross the Columbia river to claim WA.
I would agree - it is super easy to fly to Alaska. I went Seattle/ANC on Alaska Airlines and it was not expensive either.
When you get there you will hear that the drive from Anchorage to Seward is "number 7 (+/-) on Most Scenic Drives in USA"
When we did the drive, I certainly agreed - "only number 7?" - you will later recognized how it is used in many commercials for Chevy trucks, etc.)

Are you talking about seeing 50 states in your Tesla?

The most efficient road trip to every lower 48 U.S. state takes 8 days - Men's Journal
or
Science Says This is the Perfect U.S. Road Trip

Let me know what your plan is for Alaska, I am waiting for the cyberTruck to try that, don't wanna damage my pretty TM3.

I could also do Alaska in the RV, might even be cheaper not stopping in hotels, but I thought I would save enough in windshields that I should wait for the cT.

Good luck, guys. One thing I’ve learned from Covid is how much of the country I haven’t seen, so I’m thinking more like 9 days to cross, some time on the West Coast, and 9 days back. At least 4 weeks and coinciding with some LPGA events. :)

Good luck, guys. One thing I’ve learned from Covid is how much of the country I haven’t seen, so I’m thinking more like 9 days to cross, some time on the West Coast, and 9 days back. At least 4 weeks and coinciding with some LPGA events. :)
Love it. I actually started my 50 state tour this week (mine is broken into 3 parts. Just did quick 3 day to Portland, OR and crossed over the river to Washington state. And I guess you can include CALIF since I had to come back here.
2nd stage will be end of May doing 45 states (plus DC in one trip). 3rd stage for the final 2 (Alaska and Hawaii will be a combined trip in Sept or Oct).

Big fan ??? Will you be coming to Pebble for the Women's Open in 2 years? I work at Pebble Resorts and it will be big.

I’m also starting to work on a foursome golf trip before/including/after the WOpen at Pebble. When should we be looking to confirm bookings? Would you expect Pebble to be closed the week before, but open for guests a few days afterwards? Are places to stay with access to Pebble/Cypress extremely limited? Thanks :)

I’m also starting to work on a foursome golf trip before/including/after the WOpen at Pebble. When should we be looking to confirm bookings? Would you expect Pebble to be closed the week before, but open for guests a few days afterwards? Are places to stay with access to Pebble/Cypress extremely limited? Thanks :)
(Question #1) NOW !!! (2) Week before...No decision yet. After is open immediately. (3) If you mean hotel, homes, etc - there are plenty on the Peninsula but get pricey during events at Pebble. Pebble Beach and Spyglass Course are open to the public.... given that, tee times are often reserved for Pebble's hotel guests and any left go to the public. Cypress is private extremely difficult (second to Augusta) - you have to be invited by a member with caveats.

Best to call Pebble reservations - they have plenty of programs.

Sorry for off topic post

Well... about 3 weeks away from the start of the bulk of my 50 state tour. Did Oregon and Washington last week and if you count my current state of California, that leaves 47. And might as well throw in D.C. since I will be visiting friends and relatives in that area. Plan is.. 45 states on this trip (plus D.C.) and the two left (Alaska and Hawaii) will be a quick flight to Anchorage then change planes to Hawaii.
Many things I want to see (quite a few suggested by members here) such as the spam museum in Waco, which, after assuming Waco, Texas - was told Waco, Minnesota. So, did a quick minor re-route to do that. Sadly, one place I haven't seen and now can't get to - because of Covid, is Niagara Falls. But lookout world's biggest ball of twine!! Most major sites - been there!!
I will be carrying boxes of chocolates from a local favorite here - Lula's Chocolates - and will hand out one box in each state with a post card of that state addressed to the maker of those chocolates - random folks. Not carrying all at once. Scott Lund, the owner, (Lula was his granny, from whom he learned how to make her chocolates), advised me to have more shipped at different intervals so as to prevent spoilage from summer heat.

Sadly, the Tesla will not be joining me for Alaska and Hawaii.