Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

emmz0r

Senior Software Engineer
Jul 12, 2018
Norway

upload_2019-5-11_20-30-54.png

2016 S75D from service center visit:
Confirmed low DC charging speeds in vehicle logs. Investigated cause and confirmed the battery management system has slowed the maximum charge speed due to high repeated use of DC charging.
This is a normal function of the battery to avoid loss of range caused by high DC charge use.
The DC charge limiting is set to start at 2625 kWh and reaches maximum derating at 13125 kWh. Your vehicle is at 15635 kWh as of the end of charge on the 17th.
The charge speed will not reduce further but continued DC charging will not cause a slow loss of range. This is a designed function to maintain the longest battery life possible. There is no defect.

This is terribad. As an S75D owner, I was looking forward to drive around Europe and stuff. But I guess I have to consider that again, thinking of future resale value etc.

2625 kWh before nerfing = ~35 0-100% full charges on SuC for a 75kWh pack, even less cycles on a 90 pack. Well realistically you would assume 15-80%, so on a 75kW pack that would be 49 kWh each time = 53 cycles.

So assuming you drive to a remote location every month (very light usage really), then use SuC both ways = 2 cycles.
Then, after only 26 months it will get nerfed.

Am I way off here ???

If you read the comments you can see there are people with both 100 and 85 that all say they see throttling. My guess is it is something that happens to all the cars at some point, the question is how much and at what point. My guess is also that the 75 packs that were made at the same time as the 90 packs share some of the same issues that have been reported for the 90 pack, the current 75 pack should be the same chemistry as the current 100 pack.

Also even with the car in question in the video all they say is that throttling starts at 2625 kWh, that doesn't mean it instantly goes down by a lot.

2625 kWh before nerfing = ~35 0-100% full charges on SuC for a 75kWh pack, even less cycles on a 90 pack. Well realistically you would assume 15-80%, so on a 75kW pack that would be 49 kWh each time = 53 cycles.

So assuming you drive to a remote location every month (very light usage really), then use SuC both ways = 2 cycles.
Then, after only 26 months it will get nerfed.

Am I way off here ???

But we don't know how much you get throttled after 2625kWhs of DC charging. It could just drop you by 1 kW. We only know that you hit the ~80kW limit after 13,125 kWhs of DC charging, which is ~250 charging sessions or about 33k miles of driving.

• Informative
Reactions: emmz0r
According to my TeslaFi logs, I've Supercharged my 90 pack a total of 6672 kWh over 213 sessions. I have yet to see any throttling - I've recently seen as high as 115 kW's or so. My pack is a v3 pack.

BS?

The information we have is for the 75kWh packs. We don't know the specifics for when the throttling starts, or maxes out, for the 90kWh packs, but we absolutely know that they get throttled. (As many people have reported.)

The information we have is for the 75kWh packs. We don't know the specifics for when the throttling starts, or maxes out, for the 90kWh packs, but we absolutely know that they get throttled. (As many people have reported.)

I thought the throttling on 90 packs was only believed to be tied to the v1's and v2's? I'm nearly halfway through their throttling window and I am not getting throttled. In all fairness, I will say that my range has decreased more than normal, though. 8% in 2 years.

I thought the throttling on 90 packs was only believed to be tied to the v1's and v2's? I'm nearly halfway through their throttling window and I am not getting throttled. In all fairness, I will say that my range has decreased more than normal, though. 8% in 2 years.

The throttling window you are talking about is for the 75 pack, a bigger pack should have a higher window just from having more cells. Also it doesn't need to be the case that throttling happens just on peaks, some person with a 85 pack said that they reached the same peak as before but their tapering was more harsh. There also has been people claiming to have gotten information about doing a decent part of the charging as AC charging would keep throttling to happen as much.

My guess is that throttling happens in multiple ways and isn't a static limit but based on a complex wear algorithm that takes many things into account. Therefore it is hard to compare one case to another and expect the same result just by looking at how many kWh was charged over the life of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn
I'm pretty sure I've charged more than the minimum to trigger the threshold mentioned. I've taken 8 trips totaling around 16000 miles all except the first legs on the supercharger network. I've seen no throttling. Maybe it's not a hard count?

Can anyone quantify in minutes approximately how much longer one would have to supercharge if their car has been throttled?

For example, if all variables being equal except throttling, how long would Car A (throttled) and Car B (not throttled) take to supercharge from 20% to 80% at a SuC?