Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah if you have that much range loss, it's usually due to a module in the pack going bad. I found out the hard way that a failed module will NOT trigger an alert for Tesla to call you, and will NOT trigger an alert for the car to notify you. It will just silently reduce range and disable that module with no indication there's a problem.

Happened on my 90 pack about a year and a half ago. I noticed a slight reduction in launch power in Ludicrous mode and a 20 mile range loss. Once I called Tesla about it, they said OH... yeah, you have a bad module in your pack. Like duh? You'd think a smart car like a Tesla would notify me that it's disabled a whole @#$@# module, ya know?
Ignorance is bliss. If the customer doesn't complain, they don't need to pony up the expense of a replacement battery or repair.

Reactions: Naonak
well said! enjoyed your recent China visit video. Keep up the great work!
Thank You :) still about 300 gigs of video to edit from last Aprils China trip. I have a Nav by Autopilot video I'm editing, firmware, and slowly working on the video of going to the bottom of the worlds largest coal mine located in my Wifes home city of Fushun :) Reason for the delay on that one is due to politics, I need to cut out certain parts deemed by the Chinese government to be high-security risk or things that may be "misunderstood" or be "Incorrectly portrayed" to make China be portrayed in a negative way. So need to tip-toe around things a bit. Had to get Provincial Government security clearance for the Coal Mine tour, and wife's uncle pulled a lot of strings and called in a number of favors for me. But it was a neat experience and will have a positive overall ending as the switch to renewable energy increases :)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Late to the party, I have a 2016 Tesla MX P90DL. I’m currently at 41k miles and the Remote S application is showing I have a 77 kWh battery. How accurate is this?

6885E401-78F2-4849-8AFB-074174E093F3.jpeg

With all this news about the even longer range update I had to check. 2016 P90D now has 206 rated miles at 90%, that’s about a 10% loss at 72,000 miles.
On a practical basis it is shy of a comfortable range by about 50 miles in the winter and long trips have a little too much charging time.

Looking back to a year ago there is a bit more loss 90 battery pack degradation

And yes @ByByGas a “90” is really an 83 with about 77 useable

Last edited:
With all this news about the even longer range update I had to check. 2016 P90D now has 206 rated miles at 90%, that’s about a 10% loss at 72,000 miles.
On a practical basis it is shy of a comfortable range by about 50 miles in the winter and long trips have a little too much charging time.

Looking back to a year ago there is a bit more loss 90 battery pack degradation

And yes @ByByGas a “90” is really an 83 with about 77 useable

I agree with you on the winter range reduction. That is my biggest issues with the 90 battery. I'm sitting around 8% degradation at 36,000 miles and if I keep loosing range I'm going to have some issues with distance in the winter.

What I don't get on the 90kWh battery is that on the order sheet it literally says 90kWh battery - $10,000.00 ...

I agree with you on the winter range reduction. That is my biggest issues with the 90 battery. I'm sitting around 8% degradation at 36,000 miles and if I keep loosing range I'm going to have some issues with distance in the winter.

What I don't get on the 90kWh battery is that on the order sheet it literally says 90kWh battery - $10,000.00 ...

Just looked over my window sticker and it says “90kw Motor”. Sneaky practice to say the least. I find it’s a bit deceptive to say the least how we have 77kw usable battery in an advertised 90kWh battery.

5D04D6E6-E360-41F6-A5C1-8BEDA333DC36.jpeg

Reactions: Shateam
Mine says 90k battery...

View attachment 400562

Yup, it sure does. This whole situation sucks either way. Car was sold expecting a 90kWh battery, not a 77kWh battery. I guess it's like hard drive storage space in a way. You buy a 1TB hard drive but that doesn't mean it's the usable space. On my specific car the window sticker is rated at 250mi range. As of last night, at 100% my range is 233. However, is that was only the thing. I have a MX 100D loaner right now. I feel as if I do a 50 mile commute I lose about 50-55 miles of range, even driving a little spirited. However, on my P90D if I were to do the same I feel like I lose 75-80 miles worth of range for the same 50 mile commute. I guess it's the "Performance" motor that really does draw that much more juice despite driving tame. The 22" wheels is another factor I suppose.

Reactions: ohmman
Yup, it sure does. This whole situation sucks either way. Car was sold expecting a 90kWh battery, not a 77kWh battery. I guess it's like hard drive storage space in a way. You buy a 1TB hard drive but that doesn't mean it's the usable space. On my specific car the window sticker is rated at 250mi range. As of last night, at 100% my range is 233. However, is that was only the thing. I have a MX 100D loaner right now. I feel as if I do a 50 mile commute I lose about 50-55 miles of range, even driving a little spirited. However, on my P90D if I were to do the same I feel like I lose 75-80 miles worth of range for the same 50 mile commute. I guess it's the "Performance" motor that really does draw that much more juice despite driving tame. The 22" wheels is another factor I suppose.

Do we know what the actual battery is in the 75, 85, 100? Are they are misrepresented as well?

The 22” wheels are a big factor. My X90D consumes about 320Wh/mi under regular driving conditions, which is right in line with the estimated consumption. But that’s separate from the residual capacity of the pack, which has dropped significantly but seems to be leveling off. My most recent trip required a 100% charge and I achieved 240 miles, the same as last summer. Good news I suppose..

• Informative
Reactions: HostileHarry
The 22” wheels are a big factor. My X90D consumes about 320Wh/mi under regular driving conditions, which is right in line with the estimated consumption. But that’s separate from the residual capacity of the pack, which has dropped significantly but seems to be leveling off. My most recent trip required a 100% charge and I achieved 240 miles, the same as last summer. Good news I suppose..

But they look so good :D

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Do we know what the actual battery is in the 75, 85, 100? Are they are misrepresented as well?
Maybe, but not really. Model X 100D not 100kWh battery This is why T moved away from pack size as model designation—they never were really enumerating the pack capacity. Range is dependent on so many other things (witness the S and X update just announced). But if part of the EPA range is the tire tread design then all bets are off as soon as you add a winter tire or change one of the many other parameters.

Model X 2016 vin:5YJXCBE25GF010...
Unintended 100% charge .Forgot to turn down the charging slider.Took out immediately for a spin.
385Km= 239 miles =100% charging (was 405km=251 miles when new)
82,076km=51,000 miles odometer reading.
Suprised to see regeneration at 100%charging, Is regeneration at 100% charging something new ?
I have software version 2019.12.11.
20190504_085928.jpg
20190504_081830.jpg

My wife is taking her Model X in for several small service issues this week and we're asking for an evaluation of the pack as well. I think we're getting around 220mi at 100% at 66k miles on the 90D. So it's a bit frustrating to have it that low, esp. in this part of the country, she may even have to stop and charge on the way to the service center this week...