Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an early 2017 X 90D with 27K miles. This is mostly charged at home to 90% with only a few charges to 100% for trips. My 90% is 228 miles.

The rated range, when new, was 257 miles. 90% of that is just over 231 miles. We have only seen a 1.3% drop over the past year and 27K miles. Not bad.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
P90D made in 1/16, delivered in 3/16. Battery 1056776-00-C. Mostly charge at home but some long road trips with supercharging, several to 100% because of the range. Now 50,500miles. Drove it down to 1% and charged up at home to 98% where charging plateaued at 2kW.
From the log:
Energy added 77.83 kWh (Avg 14.9kW)
Rated added 234 Miles
View attachment 294743
From the car screen:
78kWh added. Rated 235mi, added 233mi. Ideal 291mi, added 289mi.
Just over 9% rated loss (235/257). That puts this car below the red line in the graph referenced above. I have cataloged the 90% in another thread and it does appear the range loss had already slowed. I would still expect the predicted 1.5% decline over the next 50k. Not happy with this range, especially since it is cold here half the year, especially with a long range 3 sitting next to it as a reminder. Elon once said an upgrade by over 15% would be worth it but didn’t let on that the difference between a “90” and a “100” was already more than that out of the gate. I would love to have a real “120” in this car for road trips.
Very nice chart. How did you plotted?

P90D made in 1/16, delivered in 3/16. Battery 1056776-00-C. Mostly charge at home but some long road trips with supercharging, several to 100% because of the range. Now 50,500miles. Drove it down to 1% and charged up at home to 98% where charging plateaued at 2kW.
From the log:
Energy added 77.83 kWh (Avg 14.9kW)
Rated added 234 Miles
View attachment 294743
From the car screen:
78kWh added. Rated 235mi, added 233mi. Ideal 291mi, added 289mi.
Just over 9% rated loss (235/257). That puts this car below the red line in the graph referenced above. I have cataloged the 90% in another thread and it does appear the range loss had already slowed. I would still expect the predicted 1.5% decline over the next 50k. Not happy with this range, especially since it is cold here half the year, especially with a long range 3 sitting next to it as a reminder. Elon once said an upgrade by over 15% would be worth it but didn’t let on that the difference between a “90” and a “100” was already more than that out of the gate. I would love to have a real “120” in this car for road trips.

Wow you are blessed. My 100% charge on my P90D - delivered 3/16 is less than 230....

Service center is so overwhelmed with sh&t cars from Fremont they never get back to me. $150k for this. And Elon tweets about making Candy. That is Fu$$ed up guys.

I have unintentionally been running a strange charging experiment for last couple years/26,000 miles using a combination of super fast and super slow charging with a regular 110 outlet and local super charger. My degradation in MX90D has gone from 232 to 230 for my 90%. On Monday if all goes well with my HPWC on a 100A breaker, I will charge almost completely at my MX's max home rate of 72A. Do people think this change will cause my battery to degrade faster?

I have unintentionally been running a strange charging experiment for last couple years/26,000 miles using a combination of super fast and super slow charging with a regular 110 outlet and local super charger. My degradation in MX90D has gone from 232 to 230 for my 90%. On Monday if all goes well with my HPWC on a 100A breaker, I will charge almost completely at my MX's max home rate of 72A. Do people think this change will cause my battery to degrade faster?

No evidence that high charge rate damages battery. In fact, if you think about it, the faster it charges, the less time the battery stays at a heated state which in theory should extend life. YMMV, but I max out my charging rate because I want the full range anytime I leave the house for any unexpected road trips.

Reactions: mal_tsla
So I have a 2016 90D with 21k and 100% SOC is showing 239 mi range. So a 7% degradation from new but here's the kicker. That 239 rated range appears to be pure fiction. I've been getting in the neighborhood of 185 to 190 total miles at 330ish wh/mi out of a full charge. More importantly the energy used per the car going from 100% to almost 2% is in the low 60 kW. So where did the other 30 kW go? Tesla says the range number is based on the cars algorithm but they could not adequately explain why I'm only getting 60 kW out of the battery.
Gonna do some more research with some long trips but not too encouraged. Looking for more info and insight on that energy used number and what other perameters to look for.

So I have a 2016 90D with 21k and 100% SOC is showing 239 mi range. So a 7% degradation from new but here's the kicker. That 239 rated range appears to be pure fiction. I've been getting in the neighborhood of 185 to 190 total miles at 330ish wh/mi out of a full charge. More importantly the energy used per the car going from 100% to almost 2% is in the low 60 kW. So where did the other 30 kW go? Tesla says the range number is based on the cars algorithm but they could not adequately explain why I'm only getting 60 kW out of the battery.
Gonna do some more research with some long trips but not too encouraged. Looking for more info and insight on that energy used number and what other perameters to look for.
90kwh has usable capacity of around 81kwh. So you are missing around 20kwh if you calculated based on single trip with no stops in between.

As stated on many other threads, the Kwh used you see on the trip meter is not the total energy used. Other functions in your car use energy that is not recorded in the trip meter, specifically the air conditioner.
rated range is hardly ever real range if you drive over 65mph, have winds, elevation changes, high temperatures, etc.

As stated on many other threads, the Kwh used you see on the trip meter is not the total energy used. Other functions in your car use energy that is not recorded in the trip meter, specifically the air conditioner.
rated range is hardly ever real range if you drive over 65mph, have winds, elevation changes, high temperatures, etc.

I think it is recorded, or at least the heater is for sure. I mean, the trip meter jumps up to like 1000 wh/mi when using it sometimes and not moving too much, etc.

Finally got the car in for service and they are claiming this is normal (big surprise). Can anyone make sense of this??

Concern: Customer: states he has lost 20 miles range and at times the watt consumption graph flat lines and does not display energy usage check and advise.

Corrections: Battery Capacity Test

Performed batter capacity test and Reviewed car logs and found no issue. Ran BMS Auto Diagnosis and did not detect any issue. However Auto Diagnosis did detect a SOC underestimation in the result of firmware inaccuracy. When a vehicle rest in the SOC region 59-65% SOC, the resulting SOC calculation is inaccurate due to complicated cell behavior on the voltage rising rate. Future firmware release should correct this issue. Vehicles range is normal compared to similar fleet vehicles. HV battery self calibrated to maintain optimum battery health.

<snip> Concern: Customer: states he has lost 20 miles range and at times the watt consumption graph flat lines and does not display energy usage check and advise. <snip>

How many miles on your 90D and, if known, what was the original max range?

I'm at 103,000 miles after 26 months on the road and have lost 33-34 miles out of an original max range of 295-296 miles so my max range charge now is ~262 miles. I believe that's ~11-12% loss of range.

Sometimes, when leaving a supercharger at 100% range (262 miles shown on display) just 1 mile down the road the range is now 258 miles so those 3 miles / 1% of range is sometimes not available so max range could be as low as 259-260 miles.

I'm hoping to get a chance to do some Battery diagnostics soon but until then have to rely on what the Service Center tells me and that "everything is normal." I realize the ~10% area can be a typical loss of range and am hoping it doesn't go beyond 15% loss of range. I've seen battery charts where it starts to level out around the 10-12% range so I'm hoping that is what mine will do. Then again, I hope it loses 20+% range so hopefully it can be replaced.

How many miles on your 90D and, if known, what was the original max range?

I'm at 103,000 miles after 26 months on the road and have lost 33-34 miles out of an original max range of 295-296 miles so my max range charge now is ~262 miles. I believe that's ~11-12% loss of range.

Sometimes, when leaving a supercharger at 100% range (262 miles shown on display) just 1 mile down the road the range is now 258 miles so those 3 miles / 1% of range is sometimes not available so max range could be as low as 259-260 miles.

I'm hoping to get a chance to do some Battery diagnostics soon but until then have to rely on what the Service Center tells me and that "everything is normal." I realize the ~10% area can be a typical loss of range and am hoping it doesn't go beyond 15% loss of range. I've seen battery charts where it starts to level out around the 10-12% range so I'm hoping that is what mine will do. Then again, I hope it loses 20+% range so hopefully it can be replaced.

Just for comparison when you charge to the line Tesla defines as what your day to day max should be, I am not sure if its 80% or 90% what mileage are you seeing. I am in the low 230's. 90D 24k miles

Just for comparison when you charge to the line Tesla defines as what your day to day max should be, I am not sure if its 80% or 90% what mileage are you seeing. I am in the low 230's. 90D 24k miles

I'm not real interested what my 80% or 90% range is since it seems to fluctuate by a few miles based on temp, recent driving, supercharger power, etc. and 100% range is usually consistent (the same number) to recent previous 100% charges.

I realize now everyone charges to 100% once a month (I take lots of road trips) so here are some other numbers for your comparison and the date when I last charged to that level. All charge levels below were from various superchargers.

100% (06/07/2018) = 262 miles
90% (06/17/2018) = 234 miles ... calculates to 260 miles @ 100%
80% (06/08/2018) = 208 miles ... calculates to 260 miles @ 100%
70% (06/15/2018) = 183 miles ... calculates to 261 miles @ 100%
60% (06/10/2018) = 157 miles ... calculates to 262 miles @ 100%
50% (06/11/2018) = 130 miles ... calculates to 260 miles @ 100%​