Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 Day observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Everything went black: Driving to store the screen went black and turn signal did not work. Fortunately, I was close to my destination, I wasn’t rear ended so maybe I was lucky or maybe the brake lights worked. After my stop I returned and everything worked when I started up a few minutes later.
  • Cruise control brakes without reason. Several times on one gradual curve to the left the system suddenly applies the brakes. It always happens in the middle of a line of cars not the first in a line of cars.
  • Home link does not always close garage door when I leave as it is programed to do. It works about 50% of the time.
  • Windows often stop half way up even when holding button up. It takes a second or sometimes even a 3rd try to shut windows.
  • Cooling is poor. I have to override auto by increasing fan speed to keep car cool.
  • Music & Radio – periodically looses connection both in urban and rural locations.
  • Roof glass and windows let in a lot of solar radiation. The top of my head gets hot when the sun is overhead and my left arm gets hot when the sun comes in the driver’s side window.
  • The ride is harsh. I have tried both increasing and decreasing the tire pressure without any benefit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV and GOVA
  • Everything went black: Driving to store the screen went black and turn signal did not work. Fortunately, I was close to my destination, I wasn’t rear ended so maybe I was lucky or maybe the brake lights worked. After my stop I returned and everything worked when I started up a few minutes later.
  • Cruise control brakes without reason. Several times on one gradual curve to the left the system suddenly applies the brakes. It always happens in the middle of a line of cars not the first in a line of cars.
  • Home link does not always close garage door when I leave as it is programed to do. It works about 50% of the time.
  • Windows often stop half way up even when holding button up. It takes a second or sometimes even a 3rd try to shut windows.
  • Cooling is poor. I have to override auto by increasing fan speed to keep car cool.
  • Music & Radio – periodically looses connection both in urban and rural locations.
  • Roof glass and windows let in a lot of solar radiation. The top of my head gets hot when the sun is overhead and my left arm gets hot when the sun comes in the driver’s side window.
  • The ride is harsh. I have tried both increasing and decreasing the tire pressure without any benefit.
I can offer advice to address this one. The passenger vents are off by default when you are riding solo in the drivers seat. Open the climate controls to enable airflow to the passenger side. Super-annoying and there is no permanent override. All the other stuff, yeah, typical Tesla. Get ready to eat your downvotes from the musketeers.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
A few comments.

Phantom braking happens with almost every adaptive cruise control I've tried. Tesla can be worse in some instances but also keep in mind it reads the road signs. There is one turn where the main road speed limit is 65 mph but the tunr is posted at 45 and it slows down dramatically for this turn. Keep in mind in general it seems like if you are using AP, it is seems biased toward driving conservatively so I am fine with that.

No Homelink, just use a BT app for my opener on my phone.

Windows are 1 touch up. Don't hold, just press once and let go.

Cooling has been pretty good for me. I live in Florida and I HATE to be hot. Fan ran a bit higher than I thought it would but it generally did work well. I tinted all the windows (except roof) and it made a big difference. There is no heat rejection on any of the windows except the roof. The tinted windows are just colored glass and worthless to keep the car cooler. I put 70% on the windshield and you can't even tell it is there but it helped a lot. Still on the fence about tinting the roof. Get in the habit of pre-cooling your car with the app or setting a departure time when plugged in. Car will be at a nice temp when you get in and speed that up by venting the windows from the app as well.

No issues at all with the radio.

As for the harsh ride, this will be subjective and a lot of people will say it is fine. Without saying what model you have I can just offer up our experience. We had a MYP on order but my wife hated the ride so much we changed to the LR with 19" wheels. Honestly the MYP rode worse than our Ram 1500 pickup truck on most surfaces. The MY LR was better with the 19" than the MYP by a lot. We ended up going with lighter weight 19" wheels and that was a big upgrade in many ways with ride quality being one of the biggest improvements.

I've also have had cruise control brake w/o reason. Tesla is the only vehicle with adaptive out of many i've driven that has ever done that. Needs to be fixed.
Don't have home link, too cheap to pay for it. It should real come with the vehicle.
My drivers window sometimes has a mind of its own. Sometimes does not go down all the way, sometimes takes 3 trys to get it to go up and stay up. Goes up all the way then comes back down half way. Once when I got out and walked away the driver window only went up half way when the car locked up. More software that needs fixing.
The next to worthless glass roof lets in a lot of heat. I installed a shade and it helps, but still need to run fan a bit high on hot sunny days
My radio works fine, but I would like XM
The ride seems ok to me but I come from driving a jeep wrangler for 13 years so may not be the best judge.

I clicked on this to see some actual 90 day observations and everything was negative. Sounds like you need to trade it in. Not even one positive thing? Also, noticed this is your first post. Is this a troll post as you have never commented on anyone that has tried to help? Just my observations.

A few comments.

Phantom braking happens with almost every adaptive cruise control I've tried. Tesla can be worse in some instances but also keep in mind it reads the road signs. There is one turn where the main road speed limit is 65 mph but the tunr is posted at 45 and it slows down dramatically for this turn. Keep in mind in general it seems like if you are using AP, it is seems biased toward driving conservatively so I am fine with that.

No Homelink, just use a BT app for my opener on my phone.

Windows are 1 touch up. Don't hold, just press once and let go.

Cooling has been pretty good for me. I live in Florida and I HATE to be hot. Fan ran a bit higher than I thought it would but it generally did work well. I tinted all the windows (except roof) and it made a big difference. There is no heat rejection on any of the windows except the roof. The tinted windows are just colored glass and worthless to keep the car cooler. I put 70% on the windshield and you can't even tell it is there but it helped a lot. Still on the fence about tinting the roof. Get in the habit of pre-cooling your car with the app or setting a departure time when plugged in. Car will be at a nice temp when you get in and speed that up by venting the windows from the app as well.

No issues at all with the radio.

As for the harsh ride, this will be subjective and a lot of people will say it is fine. Without saying what model you have I can just offer up our experience. We had a MYP on order but my wife hated the ride so much we changed to the LR with 19" wheels. Honestly the MYP rode worse than our Ram 1500 pickup truck on most surfaces. The MY LR was better with the 19" than the MYP by a lot. We ended up going with lighter weight 19" wheels and that was a big upgrade in many ways with ride quality being one of the biggest improvements.
Which rims and tires?

Okay...picked up my MYLR, 19”, Tow, Blue on Labor Day so around 90 days and 2,000-miles.
I haven’t experienced the black screen at all.
Unfortunately I have experienced the phantom braking, especially on single lane highways, extremely frustrating and a bit scary, especially if someone is tailgating you.. I live in CO so there are a LOT of curvy roads with elevation changes, that seems to be a contributing factor.
I don’t have homelink.
I have found the cooling and heating now in the colder months here in CO to work quite well.
Personally I find the sound system amazing! I find it quite frustrating I can’t get XM radio but podcasts and music on Spotify has eased that frustration a bit.
Again I’m in CO and just picked it up 3 months ago so haven’t dealt with the heat of the summer with windows/roof exposure. I may be researching tint next Spring.
I find the ride very tight,responsive, and sporty. Seriously what I expected and truly wanted I’d say.
How about the performance and quiteness of the car?! It is UNBELIEVABLE, so fast and quick yet so quiet. The torque is so solid it doesn’t even matter if you are going up a steep incline it just goes! So far I have had a few learning curves/growing pains but still love the driving experience and truly look forward to leaving work knowing I get to drive it again. It has been 3-months and I still make excuses to go get things just to drive it more, no kidding. I hope your experience improves and you can enjoy it as much as I do,