Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 days before PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to be finally picking my car back up tomorrow from tesla. The body shop recommended I wait 90 days before applying PPF though? Is that really necessary? I feel like I will have several rock chips in 90 days... So I could drive my truck instead I guess and just keep it parked in the garage for 3 months?

Reactions: P85_DA
Wrap the panels that weren’t painted first. New paint does need 30 days to cure.
I think they touched up the front bumper, and the fender was damaged on the flatbed on the way have to the service center so they sent it back to be resprayed, so that's at least 1/2 if there front end right there they may have tuched up the either fender too since i don't know which one was damaged during transport. I could probably have the hood and rear bumper though I geuss? they also painted 2 doors and the body in the interior near the striker.

I will get to see it tomorrow afternoon

We wrap fresh paint almost immediately as most films "breathe" allowing solvents to escape from the fresh paint. The dillema is that the paint shop is carrying the warranty on the work they did, if paint peels during the installation due to poor prep work it may cause an issue. If you have anything applied when the shop told you differently, they could potentially void your lifetime warranty on the paintwork. Unfortunately I recommend to wait as long as the body shop is recommending.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
I just received my car back from Tesla. They sent it out to a body shop to repaint the hood and an area of the roof. They told me to wait 30 days before applying the film. The film shop told me that 30 days is normal if the body shop does no curing on site. I think 90 days would be excessive.

Well I got the car back yesterday, now I want to PPF right away, but I'm afraid I may not have given it enough time. It's been cold and rainy.

They only fixed 2 rock chips on the bumper end front fender, so I'm not sure if I need to wait the full 90 days but I also don't know how much area was painted (I can't see any difference in the paint where in the affected areas, so they must have blended it pretty well)

Sacramento area in Northern CA is really backed up...Went yesterday to the one approved Tesla body shop for repairs listed on my Tesla Due Bill. Most of the paint chips found on delivery are on the door sill. There are 2 long, thin scratches on the left front fender. Was told they would respray the one section and blend with the rest of the fender.....bad thing is first available appointment is Feb 18, 2019.

Sacramento area in Northern CA is really backed up...Went yesterday to the one approved Tesla body shop for repairs listed on my Tesla Due Bill. Most of the paint chips found on delivery are on the door sill. There are 2 long, thin scratches on the left front fender. Was told they would respray the one section and blend with the rest of the fender.....bad thing is first available appointment is Feb 18, 2019.
So you have to wait until June for PPF? Maybe they will take care of any additional chips you get within that time frame? That sounds really out there! You should get priority!