TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

90 degree left turn

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Something strange happened with Autopilot today (1 year old).
    I was using AP in an inside road (city), on a light behind a uglier than yeti's butt porsche panamera.
    Light turns green, and my car, totally negotiated a full left turn across 3 lanes into a divided two lane road, all on it's own.

I drew a little diagram to illustrate my point -

upload_2016-9-15_13-22-9.png

Yeah I had my hands on the wheel, but wow! Never experienced that before.

I haven't received a s/w update lately btw. And I've driven on this road numerous times, this is the first time AP has done this.

• Funny x 2
  2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Was it following the Porsche?

3. Sir Guacamolaf

Yep! But I've followed other cars before same intersection, and AP is not able to follow the car in front .. until today!

4. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Tesla did not want to be seen in the company of the Porsche?

5. Casavant

Casavant Member

Yep I've had the same thing happened before in large intersections on 6 and 8 lane divided hieays... only difference was I took over and steered straight and never let it make the left hand turn following another car.

Now the important question. Did following that less-than-elegant back-end take you anywhere interesting? :cool:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

My AP has done this from Day 1.

It doesn't always make the turn, but sometimes it does. So this is not new. If there's a vehicle to follow, the stars align, and the turn isn't too steep or at too high of a speed, AP will follow the vehicle into a 90 degree LEFT turn. I've never had AP follow a vehicle into a sharp right though.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Mr So Chill

Mr So Chill Member

Ha! The picture of the Porsche in your picture a butt?!!! Funny thing is that my second choice after the Model S was a Panamera Hybrid.

• Like x 2
  8. Sir Guacamolaf

You can't unsee that .. next time you see a Porsche, you'll see a butt.

• Funny x 1
  9. chillaban

chillaban Member

It does do this from time to time (same with cloverleaf highway onramps), but do not rely on it!

I've also seen my Autopilot suddenly go from following the lead car (around turns and curves) to wanting to shoot off on a tangent into oblivion.

• Like x 1
  10. Sir Guacamolaf

When can you rely on AP? I almost never "rely" on it except on a straight freeway, on a clearly marked road, in great weather.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

I agree. I love it for slow moving traffic and on long stretches of straight freeway (assuming clean, well demarcated lines). The latter rarely happens in the DC area. The former, on the other hand . . . .

regarding the panamera, I actually have always really liked the style and definitely considered it as an alternative to my ms. Then again, I am an ass man :D

• Like x 2
  12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Dash came or it didn't happen ;)

• Funny x 2
  13. sorka

sorka Active Member

If it can't seen the lane markings, it will follow the car in front of it regardless where it goes.

14. green1

green1 Active Member

in intersection type situations the car will follow the car in front, it will do whatever the car in front of it does. The exception is if the car in front turns too sharply the Tesla knows not to follow. So on a small 2 lane road, it's unlikely to follow the car in the turn because it's too tight, but on a larger road, like a divided 4 or 6 lane road, the turn is more gradual, so the Tesla will follow.

There's not much way for Tesla to avoid this behaviour while still allowing the car to follow around normal bends in the road, at some point you have to decide how sharp "too sharp" a turn is and set a cut-off. The tesla one is a relatively good compromise. Especially being that this use case is well outside the stated use cases for Autosteer which you agreed to when first activating it, and which are documented extensively in the manual.

• Like x 1
  15. Lex

Lex Member

I guess I'm still having fun pretending the car is learning as I still do this now and then (well as often as I can without drawing attention) for curiosity's sake.

I've succeeded with turns and some on-ramps. Since it's mostly the "follow that car" thing that seems to allow this to work -- part of what makes AP so good but also what makes AP "follow that car" momentarily into a lane change -- I recently tried to set follow to 1 to "glue" to the car ahead, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, and may even contribute to AP bailing sooner.

16. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Your car probably wanted a drag race with the Porsche. It is the weekend, might as well let your hair down.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Clearly, your car likes BIG BUTTS and can't stay away!

• Like x 1