TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

90 kWh battery to be removed next week

Discussion in 'Model X' started by vigge50, Jun 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

now tesla have confirmed that they will remove 90 kWh battery from Model S and Model X next week. Ever since Tesla revealed the 100 kWh battery I have thought that the 90 would be removed so I'm not surprised, they probably just wanted to be sure that they had a good production of 100 kWh battery packs as was a problem in the beginning.

Tesla will discontinue the 90 kWh battery pack next week

• Informative x 2
  2. by74

by74 Member

Not surprised either. 90D option is never a good deal anyway. (Little range bump with much higher price) Just curious what will they do on the price. There will be a huge gap between 75 and 100.
    Are they gonna make 100 cheaper? Or introducing a new pack in between with software lock? So many possibilities.

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

Not just range boost over 75…
    90D performance = 100D

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

90 is also the pack that introduced silicon and seems to have had some Supercharging issues.

But, it's not surprising. Tesla will want to sell the 100kWh pack to sell cells and complete the previous 18650 contract.

5. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I wonder if there will be any 90 orders out there that need to be filled after they run out, and will they get software limited 100's? Or maybe they'll be given the choice of upgrading to the 100, or wait many months to get their car.

6. by74

by74 Member

Checked and you're right. I never notice this because I don't care about performance much lol

7. DHG.

DHG. Member

Small range bump because 90D was 86kw and performance came from being 16 modules so voltage was higher then 75D which is 14 modules and a true 75kw.

8. by74

by74 Member

Ummm... 86kwh... sounds like they should advertise it as 85D..

9. DHG.

DHG. Member

"Tesla’s advertised 85 KWh battery pack actually only has a capacity of up to 81 kWh and ~77 kWh usable range after accounting for 4 kWh of “anti-brick” buffer."

Tear down of 85 kWh Tesla battery pack shows it could actually only be a 81 kWh pack [Updated]

Article references a post here on TMC:

Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

I'd agree with you there is some issues with the way things have been advertised

• Informative x 2
  10. travwill

travwill Active Member

Yeah, the 100 kWh pack is the first that offers the true amount. Like 100 or 101 I think (less usable).

11. by74

by74 Member

So for a 75D, it's true 75kwh minus about 4kwh of buffer?

12. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

75kwh actual capacity, 72.6 usable. That was the best deal before the 100D, which is 102.4 kWh actual, 98.4 kWh usable.

• Like x 1
  13. TJtv

TJtv Member

The 60d was the best deal.

• Like x 2
  14. GoTzillaR

GoTzillaR Member

Exactly, because 60d is actually 62.4 kwh

15. MonkeyTOGA

MonkeyTOGA Member

A few days ago, there was a note on the configuration page that the 90 would only be available to order through 6/8, but looking today I see that note has disappeared:

6-8-2017 1-55-58 PM.jpg

16. MonkeyTOGA

MonkeyTOGA Member

As of today, the 90 is gone from the configuration page (though there is a funny twist that some 90Ds are in stock as "new inventory" that can still be purchased [one in Seattle, for example]).

17. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

How did Tesla answer this? I'm sure if there wasn't a good answer, someone would have brought up a false advertisement claim.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That has been endlessly discussed in multiple threads in the past. One point of view is that the "85" badge is a car model name, not an exact statement of kWh capacity (none of the numbers Tesla has used have exactly indicated the battery kWh capacity). Others disagree. But it no longer matters. Tesla uses numbers that are rounded to differentiate battery packs.

This thread is about the discontinuation of the 90 battery. And now it has been discontinued. As was widely expected.

19. whitex

whitex Active Member

#19 whitex, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Hmm... Tesla has (and still is) specifying KWh on their order screen. When you say "none of the numbers Tesla ever used have exactly indicated the battery kWh capacity", what do you call those numbers Tesla used that I circled in red below? Round off errors (if so, how exactly do you round 77 or 81 to be 85)? Or, is that the battery metal enclosure is capable of storing an 85KWh battery, it's just what Tesla put inside is not, but the enclosure of course is capable, so they didn't lie (like with 691hp, motors can do it, just not with the battery that shipped with those motors which limited the power to sub 500hp). I wish Tesla would accept similar checks for payment - please give me this P100D for this $160K check - yes, this check is capable of $160K, just the account balance limits it to less. ;)
    batterysize.png

Oh, also from my sales agreement:
    batterysize2.png

• Love x 1