Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 or 30 amp circuit breaker for charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge a Bolt and a Tesla from two HPWCs on a 60A breaker. I would have done more but I don't have the spare capacity in my 200A service to do a 100A or I would have. Future cars may have much higher charging needs, think 400 mile range batteries or even greater. Don't be limited by your service and have to go to the expense of upgrading your service to your house. That can cost you many thousands of dollars, especially if you have underground service. You are responsible to replace the cables to meet the power requirements and that is really expensive after the fact and not too much more if done during construction.
How do you charge your Bolt with the HPWC? Is there a reverse Tesla to J1772 adapter or some kind?

How do you charge your Bolt with the HPWC? Is there a reverse Tesla to J1772 adapter or some kind?
You can do it two different ways:
1. Modify the HPWC to have a J1772 handle. J-Wall-40 or J-Wall-80
2. Use an Adapter that accepts the Tesla handle and has a J1772 handle to plug into the non-Tesla vehicle. JDapter Stub

I had my house built with a NEMA 14-50 on each side wall of my two car garage. This works well. If you have more than two spaces or want to share the power of a larger circuit, then the best way is to put a 100 or 125 amp sub-panel in the garage. Run conduit large enough for a 100 amp circuit to each location where you would want a charging station. This way you could run two independent 60 amp circuits on a 125 amp panel or power share 100 amps across 3 spaces, or any number of other configurations. Having the sub-panel there and short runs to each location is the most flexible setup.

Future cars may have much higher charging needs, think 400 mile range batteries or even greater. Don't be limited by your service and have to go to the expense of upgrading your service to your house.
That’s not how that works, though. I see people get that confused often. People drive approximately XX number of miles in a day. That is the amount of miles you need to refill overnight. It doesn’t matter if the capacity of cars now or in the future can hold 300 miles or 30,000 miles. So there isn’t really “higher charging needs” of the car. It’s the charging needs of the person of how much you actually drive; that’s what the home charging setup needs to match. As car technology progresses and can do more, that doesn’t mean that is you living farther and farther and farther away from your work with your daily driving getting more and more.

If you want to take future car capacities into consideration, the logic would actually go the other way, with lower and lower requirements of charging speed. Let's say some future car has 800 miles of range. You will still have hundreds of miles leftover each day and become even less dependent on overnight charging speed.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That’s not how that works, though. I see people get that confused often. People drive approximately XX number of miles in a day. That is the amount of miles you need to refill overnight. It doesn’t matter if the capacity of cars now or in the future can hold 300 miles or 30,000 miles. So there isn’t really “higher charging needs” of the car. It’s the charging needs of the person of how much you actually drive; that’s what the home charging setup needs to match. As car technology progresses and can do more, that doesn’t mean that is you living farther and farther and farther away from your work with your daily driving getting more and more.

If you want to take future car capacities into consideration, the logic would actually go the other way, with lower and lower requirements of charging speed. Let's say some future car has 800 miles of range. You will still have hundreds of miles leftover each day and become even less dependent on overnight charging speed.

I'd say partially correct. True, many people freak out about getting the biggest circuit possible. And most people really don't need it.

But, on the other hand, I don't charge every night and that allows me to justify a little larger charger.
And when I do go on a long trip and come back empty, it is nice to get enough to drive tomorrow.
Do I need 200A service to charge a car in the future? Probably not.
But do I need 200A service to charge 2-3+ cars, maybe.

I'm a little late to the party, I've got a Bolt and soon to have a model S, so I'm trying to find a way to charge both cars from one 50 amp circuit. I've looked at juice box's solution, but it seems to communicate over WIFI to negotiate load sharing, that might not be reliable. And... jiuce box j1772 plug isn't going to open my charge door like a tesla cord end would do.

So the other option is to install a pair of tesla HPWCs that share the same 50amp feed. I could swap the plug on one of them for a J1772 for my Bolt EV. That's a universal solution!

In this thread: Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772 they are cutting the charger cords off the tesla HPWC and swapping out for J1772.

Another idea that came to mind... My water heater is in the garage on the other side from where the Model S will charge. So I could put a cutout relay on the water heater 30amp service line and install a J1772 EVSE unit. The trick here is to kill power to the water heater when the contactor on the EVSE pulls in. Oh and turn the current limit on the EVSE back to 24amps. Using this method, the water heater would only run when the car wasn't charging on that side of the garage... and the model S would have it's own EVSE on the other side of the garage.

I'm a little late to the party, I've got a Bolt and soon to have a model S, so I'm trying to find a way to charge both cars from one 50 amp circuit. I've looked at juice box's solution, but it seems to communicate over WIFI to negotiate load sharing, that might not be reliable. And... jiuce box j1772 plug isn't going to open my charge door like a tesla cord end would do.

So the other option is to install a pair of tesla HPWCs that share the same 50amp feed. I could swap the plug on one of them for a J1772 for my Bolt EV. That's a universal solution!

In this thread: Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772 they are cutting the charger cords off the tesla HPWC and swapping out for J1772.

Another idea that came to mind... My water heater is in the garage on the other side from where the Model S will charge. So I could put a cutout relay on the water heater 30amp service line and install a J1772 EVSE unit. The trick here is to kill power to the water heater when the contactor on the EVSE pulls in. Oh and turn the current limit on the EVSE back to 24amps. Using this method, the water heater would only run when the car wasn't charging on that side of the garage... and the model S would have it's own EVSE on the other side of the garage.
Both options are good. The J1772 wall connector would probably be the easier option.

And... jiuce box j1772 plug isn't going to open my charge door like a tesla cord end would do.
How old is your Tesla, though? Since about late 2014 I think, or 2015, they were all made where you could just press on the charge port door with your finger to open it. You don't need to use the button on the charge handle. Or you can pop it open with the fob for any age of Tesla. That just seems like an insignificant reason for not using a J1772 station if that is overall more convenient for the power sharing.

Reactions: Fiver
I preparation for a model 3, I have recently gone though the effort of running more amperage to the garage in a finished house and its not fun, cosst way more than a couple of cable runs, material are the cheapest part in doing more electric.
This chart comes in handy when planning for the future. Look at the 2nd chart with the amperages and charge times Wall Connector.

I ended up putting a 120A subpanel from the main panel and 40A will be taken by solar leaving the option to barely charge a model s/x at max speed of 90A OR 1 model 3LR at nmax and another at slightly slower speed.
If you are building a house I recommend not a 200A but rather a 300+A main panel for the house (depending on locaty this may cost extra one time more $ from electric company) and a 125A(min) or 150A/200A sub panel in the garage and have the ability to dedicate at least 100A to electric cars so you can either load share or support a backup. If its not going to be all tesla's that can load-share or you want to plan for a backup in case tesla charger breaks, then 1x 90A tesla charger and 1x nema 14-50 that should be able to run concurrently. It is always easier to convert a high power run to use less power but not the other way around.

What I am unable to find out easily is if I can load share at 90A or does it have to be 100A as per the tesal docs. Anyone load-sharing multiple tesla chargers less than 100A?

Reactions: Big Earl
I like the idea of installing multiple Tesla wall chargers, and using the J1772 adapter for a non-Tesla EV. Do you know if the automatic load management will work with Tesla and non-Tesla EVs charging at the same time?

Yes. The EVSE tells the car how much power it can draw.

is there a reverse Tesla to J1772 adapter or some kind?
Load share works at any setting of the HPWC.

In our case, we are going to have 2 HPWCs, on a 60a breaker. The master unit will be unmodified, and set for 48A. On the slave unit the cord has been replaced with one having a J1772 handle.

-J

Are you going with the 80A cord or the 40A J1772 cord/handle?

We're going with a 32 amp J1772 on the slave wall connector. It's theoretically possible to overload it, but it's such an edge case that it won't be a problem since our other EVs can only draw 30 amps max.

Also, our roommate might be buying a Lemur (mid-range Model 3) this week to replace his Fiat 500e and VW Tiguan... if he does that, we'll look at sharing two Tesla connectors on the 60 amp circuit and installing the modified wall connector with J1772 on the 30 amp circuit that we have available.

So many EVs to charge... :)

Reactions: compu85