Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90% the new recommended SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seemed that it was just that you don't bother keeping it 50-70 range any longer, but to instead leave it at 80 or 90% with the occasional 100%. More that it didn't make a huge impact by charging to 90, so why no just keep it there and enjoy the flexibility - as opposed to slavishly planning out your driving and charging accordingly.
I've been charging mine at either 70 or 80% for that past 11K miles with the occasional 90-95%.
TeslaFi reports today as 309.27 - which I'm pretty happy with. The range has been fluctuating between 311 and 303 in that time.
Just charged to 90% and the car reports 283 which is slightly more (90% of 310 is 279)
So whatever I'm doing seems to be working just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: MMBTUS and lupend88
I think this is like the 5th thread asking about that video in the last day or two and maybe folks should search a bit before starting new threads :)
Hmm ok must have died off pretty quick I'm on here pretty much every day, multiple times a day and didn't see it. Also did do some quick searches but didn't see anything in the titles that looked relevant. Then again I spend most of my time in the Model 3 section so could have missed them.

it seemed that it was just that you don't bother keeping it 50-70 range any longer, but to instead leave it at 80 or 90% with the occasional 100%. More that it didn't make a huge impact by charging to 90, so why no just keep it there and enjoy the flexibility - as opposed to slavishly planning out your driving and charging accordingly.
I've been charging mine at either 70 or 80% for that past 11K miles with the occasional 90-95%.
TeslaFi reports today as 309.27 - which I'm pretty happy with. The range has been fluctuating between 311 and 303 in that time.
Just charged to 90% and the car reports 283 which is slightly more (90% of 310 is 279)
So whatever I'm doing seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for the info

Hmm ok must have died off pretty quick I'm on here pretty much every day, multiple times a day and didn't see it. Also did do some quick searches but didn't see anything in the titles that looked relevant. Then again I spend most of my time in the Model 3 section so could have missed them.

here's 2 threads on that video still on page 1 of the Model 3 battery/charging section. Last post in one was 9:38 pm last night, other was earlier yesterday.

Charge to 100% once a month? Opinions on this?

90% the new recommended SOC?

I picked up my Model 3 LR RWD from Tesla Oakville this past Tuesday and during orientation they told me day to day should be 80% with 90% if you are going on a road trip. I’m so confused...
Sometimes I think the delivery people know less about the cars than the average person off the street. In fact most the the delivery people were an average person off the steeet until very recently.

I have a flat rate for electricity, so it doesn't matter when I charge. Before I go to bed at night, my car is charged to 70%. Before I leave in the morning, I bump it up to 80% since I am in Chicago and its very cold right now. I set climate to 78 degrees. Takes 35 minutes or so to go from 70-80%. During the summer, I just keep it at 70% as that's more than enough range for my daily needs. I give it an extra 10% in winter just in case. My SOC vs range is right on the money. I have had the car (a P+) since 9/8 of this year. I only charged the car to 100% once more than a month ago.

Join the wild side and use ComEd's hourly pricing plan.

90% has ALWAYS been acceptable. The early Model S firmware had two charge settings— daily (92%) and trip (100%). It wasn’t until Tesla introduced the slider to get around stupid EPA rules about averaging two mileage ratings (search if you want details) that if was even possible to set a lower charge limit. All the talk about 70% or 80% being “better” means statistically significant difference in degradation in the laboratory, but it’s never been shown to have a meaningful difference over the time that someone usually drives a car. You can find numerous posts here from Model S owners ( including myself) who continued to charge to 90% every night for five years with no ill effect.
As someone who has a couple 35+ year old vehicles, I'm interested in battery pack lifespan over a lot more than 5 years.

What this video and the ensuing dialog illustrate is that (1) Tesla is nearly silent on best practices in their actual instructions to owners, namely the owners' manuals, and (2) there are many opinions expressed here and in other forums by people who seem to think they know the right way to care for the battery, and may or may not have the expertise to give advice to the rest of us. So I for one have always been confused by all the confusing information. The whole discussion of "re-balancing" is a good example. I have always been skeptical of the need for it, because Tesla does not even mention the term in the manuals. Now Kim's video quotes Tesla people talking about guidance for re-balancing, so is it really a "thing?" Do we do it? What is really Tesla's guidance. As in, what guidance would they put in writing and stand behind? It's one thing to put something in a tweet or in a conversation with an individual owner, but quite another to state it unambiguously in a written form for everyone to read, not just whoever happens to be on a particular social media site at a particular moment.

Reactions: Vintre and DR61
As someone who has a couple 35+ year old vehicles, I'm interested in battery pack lifespan over a lot more than 5 years.

Tesloop found that their Model S battery degradation over the course of the first 194,000 miles was ~6% with multiple supercharges a day to 95-100%, instead of the recommended 90-95%. Between 194,000 and 324,000 miles Tesloop experienced battery degradation of ~22%, but those are extreme conditions
Tesloop’s Tesla Model S Surpasses 400,000 miles (643,737 kM)

Some research has shown < 10% battery degradation after 160,000 miles, and from what I understand 10% is a majority of the degradation that would occur, with the rest happening much slower. It’s going to be much, much better than your typical Leaf that doesn’t have thermal management or whatever. It might be even better for the Model 3 than the Mode S. Don’t quote me on that lol.

For my personal data points: I charge to just under 80% and it finishes around 244-247 miles which sounds just about right. I’ve never charged to 100%. I rent and can’t install level 2 charging so my car is plugged in and charging for about 10 hours which covers my commute, but if I drive more, the car is sometimes charging for a few days straight until it eventually catches up, or I top off at a Supercharger. Car has 17,000 miles on it since July. I routinely drive down to 20-30 miles on long distance trips.

My personal advice is to just keep it plugged in when you have the chance to, charge to what feels right and just let the car manage the battery. Keep an idea of what your typical charge is and if something seems off ask. Apparently for the battery warranty to apply there’s got to be under 70% retention of battery capacity but based on the data no car will get to that point unless something was really wrong
Vehicle Warranty

I personally think climate, overly excessive Supercharging, and maybe constant +90% charge affects battery longetivity the most.

TLDR DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Johnabis
I’m confused also.
Since taking delivery of my Model 3 in Sep. I have been charging to 80% then driving until battery is down to about 30%, this sometimes taking a week or a few days. What if I only drive a few miles in a day, not uncommon, should I always have the car plugged in, charging from like 70% to 80%?

I’m confused also.
Since taking delivery of my Model 3 in Sep. I have been charging to 80% then driving until battery is down to about 30%, this sometimes taking a week or a few days. What if I only drive a few miles in a day, not uncommon, should I always have the car plugged in, charging from like 70% to 80%?
Yes. I often get flamed for asking this, but have you RTFM? Especially the battery section which addresses your question IN UPPER CASE LIKE THIS so Tesla must think it’s important?