Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90% the new recommended SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Most of us know the 30 - 80% recommendation from Elon, as well as what is reinforced from Jeffrey Dahn in regards to charging behaviors and battery chemistry.

Seems recommendations have shifted, and Elon is saying with 2170 chemistry 90% SoC is acceptable vs what was previously stated.

Thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: Davetp
90% is acceptable, causes very little degradation and allows your car's BMS to more accurately calculate battery state of charge. Low charging limits and shallow discharges can cause the calculation to become very inaccurate over time, effectively reducing your range. Recent software updates may have improved the SOC calculation.

Reactions: electracity
90% is acceptable, causes very little degradation and allows your car's BMS to more accurately calculate battery state of charge. Low charging limits and shallow discharges can cause the calculation to become very inaccurate over time, effectively reducing your range. Recent software updates may have improved the SOC calculation.

It's interesting to see such a large misrepresentation though with their daily driving habits. My 3 so far has stayed between 30-80% so far with 3500 miles, wondering if I were to continue with my current behavior that I would see similar results as the LIke Tesla channel.

90% has ALWAYS been acceptable. The early Model S firmware had two charge settings— daily (92%) and trip (100%). It wasn’t until Tesla introduced the slider to get around stupid EPA rules about averaging two mileage ratings (search if you want details) that if was even possible to set a lower charge limit. All the talk about 70% or 80% being “better” means statistically significant difference in degradation in the laboratory, but it’s never been shown to have a meaningful difference over the time that someone usually drives a car. You can find numerous posts here from Model S owners ( including myself) who continued to charge to 90% every night for five years with no ill effect.

> effectively reducing your range.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the actual range is not reduced, but rather the car’s estimate of the current state of charge (leading to inaccurate display of range remaining).

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have charged to 90% every time I Charge at home unless going on a trip and then I charge to 100% (I do not charge daily but every time the car gets somewhere around 50% to 60% I plug it in), I have charged to 100% at least a dozen times and we have about 15k miles on the car since the end of April when we took delivery, initially we did see 313 miles at 100% and 282 at 90%, we now get exactly 310 and 279, I have also ran the car under 10% at least 6 or 8 times and once or twice below 5%

Not related to this but this is my first BEV and my favorite car EVER!

You can find numerous posts here from Model S owners ( including myself) who continued to charge to 90% every night for five years with no ill effect.
I can't dispute it having any effect or not on the battery, but I prefer consistent regen. It's hard to distinguish temperature effects from SOC effects on regen this time of year, but starting with a lower than 90% SOC seems to provide more regen.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't have a daily drive, so I charge to 75-80% to let the car sit. When I know I'm driving the next day, I'll charge to 90% or higher. It is about 150 miles round trip to civilization for me, and no Superchargers.. 7% degradation after 55K miles.

Reactions: tccartier
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the actual range is not reduced, but rather the car’s estimate of the current state of charge (leading to inaccurate display of range remaining).
Had the same thought for a second, then thinking unless the software is also using the same 'inaccurate' stats to decides if car can continue or should shut down.

I use to charge to 80%, but due to lower ambient temperatures lately, I charge to 90% because by the end of the day, I'm down to 25% vs. around 40% because I want to keep the cabin at 72F which is nearly 50F above ambient. I'm pretty sure I burn at least 15kWh a day (over a 3-4 hour period) with the HVAC and butt-warmer alone. About $1.50 USD in electricity costs for 3-4 hours of comfort.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I used to charge to only 80% daily until I saw MPP’s dyno results at different SOCs for the LR.
It looks like there is a drop of ~6HP between 90% SOC and 75% SOC, but a larger drop of ~18HP between 75% SOC and 60% SOC.
https://i0.wp.com/www.mountainpassp...8/08/Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg?ssl=1

I now charge to 90% so that most of my commute, which consumes around 25% capacity, is over the 75% SOC range before the bigger drop in power.

Hell All,

I have a Model 3 LR and love it!

So I am sold on the 90% SOC when charging.

What I am confused about is when to start the charging.

My daily commute, round trip, is around 25%.

At what point do you think I should recharge to 90%? When I am at 75%? 50%? or other?

Many thanks in advance,

Vin

• Love
Reactions: MMBTUS
I'll admit I always just charge to a tiny bit shy of the top line of 'daily' unless it's a road trip upcoming... FWIW

I also noted that sometime recently, perhaps last update or last time I got the battery really low (not yellow) that it now shows a higher number at that same line than it used to perhaps 5-8 miles.

Hell All,

I have a Model 3 LR and love it!

So I am sold on the 90% SOC when charging.

What I am confused about is when to start the charging.

My daily commute, round trip, is around 25%.

At what point do you think I should recharge to 90%? When I am at 75%? 50%? or other?

Many thanks in advance,

Vin
RTFM (The part of the battery section IN UPPER CASE LIKE THIS) then come back and tell us the answer.

Really, how many times can this same question be asked? Even if someone doesn’t RTFM, don’t they read this forum or justpost?