Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

900 mile Supercharger road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dennis, Thanks for sharing. I make this trip a few times per year and I'm planning on using my Model S for all future trips (My first one with the S will be in April). It's great to hear these real world experiences so I know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

This is one of my biggest concerns with road tripping in the Model S. There is a total lack of charging stations at hotels where I would normally stay. My next trip is from SF Bay Area to Disneyland for a few days, then over to Palm Springs for a few days, then back home. There are no hotels in Anaheim that offer any kind of L2 charging. At best you may have a 110 plug, but that is not even guaranteed. I don't need those kind of headaches. So I'm planning on stopping at the Hawthorne super charger before checking into my hotel and doing a max range charge, which should hold me over a for my few days in Anaheim and have enough juice left for the drive to Palm Springs. A hotel charger would save me 60-90 minutes of sitting at Hawthorne with some potentially grumpy kids (does SpaceX offer tours?).

I'm also planning to make a trip to Disneyland from San Jose area and I too could not find any hotels with charging stations or plugs. However, I asked around and found that Hilton has 2 J-type chargers. Also, Disneyland parking lot also has several chargers--not sure what type. I think you just have to ask the attendant. I'm planning to stay at a hotel near by and then park my car at the disneyland parking lot during the day and let it charge all day. and then stop by the SpaceX before heading up the I-5 corridor.

There are no hotels in Anaheim that offer any kind of L2 charging. At best you may have a 110 plug, but that is not even guaranteed. I don't need those kind of headaches. So I'm planning on stopping at the Hawthorne super charger before checking into my hotel and doing a max range charge, which should hold me over a for my few days in Anaheim and have enough juice left for the drive to Palm Springs. A hotel charger would save me 60-90 minutes of sitting at Hawthorne with some potentially grumpy kids (does SpaceX offer tours?).
While Anaheim is a bit light on charging, Palm Springs has many choices. Take a look on Recargo--many of the hotels have either a J-plug or a NEMA 14-50. Be sure to tell your Palm Springs host that the availability of EV charging was a factor in your choosing your lodging!

I'm also planning to make a trip to Disneyland from San Jose area and I too could not find any hotels with charging stations or plugs. However, I asked around and found that Hilton has 2 J-type chargers. Also, Disneyland parking lot also has several chargers--not sure what type. I think you just have to ask the attendant. I'm planning to stay at a hotel near by and then park my car at the disneyland parking lot during the day and let it charge all day. and then stop by the SpaceX before heading up the I-5 corridor.

Thanks for the info, I'll double check with the Hilton. Recargo shows them having only an ancient LPI and Avcon connector. Yet, a Volt and Leaf reportedly charged successfully, so you may be correct.

While Anaheim is a bit light on charging, Palm Springs has many choices. Take a look on Recargo--many of the hotels have either a J-plug or a NEMA 14-50. Be sure to tell your Palm Springs host that the availability of EV charging was a factor in your choosing your lodging!

My parents are hosting me in Palm Springs, so I will definitely thank them. :) But your point is well taken. After calling around Anaheim and speaking to a number of clueless hotel managers, I will definitely make it a point to thank any hotel manager that had the foresight to actually install some EV chargers. With more EVs on the road every year, I hope this is a relatively short term problem.

One more Silicon Valley-Disneyland road trip planned here, actually for this weekend, so thanks for all the tips. I've forewarned the family to arm themselves with patience, just in case... Also tempting to see if one could make it from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch to avoid the Harris Ranch potential bottleneck... Thoughts?

Noticed there is a convention center south of Disneyland, seemingly in walking distance, with ChargePoint chargers. Didn't see anything about chargers at the park itself, but you guys seem like you found some? What type were they?

Oh, and sorry to go off-topic, but what's a J-plug? (And how do I use it to charge?) :redface:

My parents are hosting me in Palm Springs, so I will definitely thank them. :) But your point is well taken. After calling around Anaheim and speaking to a number of clueless hotel managers, I will definitely make it a point to thank any hotel manager that had the foresight to actually install some EV chargers. With more EVs on the road every year, I hope this is a relatively short term problem.

Our Tesla LA club (my wife specifically) got the 5 NEMA 14-50s put in at the LA Quinta resort for our first Palm Springs Tesla drive. Thank them!!
LaQuintacharging.jpg
Fountain.jpg

Ask where to plug in your car at every hotel you stay at. Even if you are driving a ICE. If you have your EV take them for a ride. Take the front desk person, the manager and the facilities guy/gal who actually has to do the work. Give them all rides.

One more Silicon Valley-Disneyland road trip planned here, actually for this weekend, so thanks for all the tips. I've forewarned the family to arm themselves with patience, just in case... Also tempting to see if one could make it from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch to avoid the Harris Ranch potential bottleneck... Thoughts?

Noticed there is a convention center south of Disneyland, seemingly in walking distance, with ChargePoint chargers. Didn't see anything about chargers at the park itself, but you guys seem like you found some? What type were they?

Oh, and sorry to go off-topic, but what's a J-plug? (And how do I use it to charge?) :redface:

Sorry...I meant J1772. I spoke with the parking management person at the convention center about charging there. she told me that the parking lot with the charger is only open when a convention is open for something and it will still cost $16 per day. you can't go in and out. also, she could not guarantee charging for people parking for Disney since it's reserved for the convention center guests. they also have J1772 type.

I think the best bet is to park your MS at Disney lot and charge the car all day while you're at the park unless you're staying at Hilton. I don't expect to have full charge while I'm there and top off at Hawthorne before leaving for home--silicon valley.

More EV drivers working on places to plug in means more places to plug in. When Leafs came out the amount of chargers near my home skyrocketed. All the local sites with paddles I had been talking to for a year trying to get plug in options for my Roadster suddenly got swapped with J plugs. This included the local Home Depot, the National parks Service, and a local boat builder who was given a plug in front of his building by Ford years ago.
If site owners are bugged from many sources instead of one guy, things happen. You guys now have cars. Be part of the group that gets us all more places to plug in.

Sorry...I meant J1772....

Doh. I should have figured that out...

I think the best bet is to park your MS at Disney lot and charge the car all day while you're at the park unless you're staying at Hilton. I don't expect to have full charge while I'm there and top off at Hawthorne before leaving for home--silicon valley.

I'll try for the Disney lot then, thanks. Any tips on where and what outlets they have in the lot?

Our Tesla LA club (my wife specifically) got the 5 NEMA 14-50s put in at the LA Quinta resort for our first Palm Springs Tesla drive. Thank them!!

I very well may stop by and thank them (thanks to your wife as well!). My parent's place is in La Quinta, and the La Quinta Resort is my backup charging location if I can't get my hands on NEMA 14-30 dryer plug adapter by April. But now that you've mentioned it, a massage followed by a relaxing lunch sounds like a good way to spend some time will my car is charging. :)

I'll try for the Disney lot then, thanks. Any tips on where and what outlets they have in the lot?
Because Disneyland is a destination, you don't need super-fast charging. Disneyland should simply contract with ChargePoint or a similar vendor to install standard L2 charging equipment (30A J1772 EVSEs). 70A would be great, but I think it more useful to have the two-headed 30A chargers than a one-headed 70A charger. It's easier to justify 30A, as well; Volts and Leafs can use up to 30A. As far as I know, only Tesla currently ships cars in the US that can use more.

Also if you park in the parking structure at Disneyland, they have a wall plug at each of the elevators. Ask the attendant directing parking if you can go to the next level and get one of those slots. 2 mph, but if you are staying for the weekend it may be enough. Stop at Hawthorne if you need a quickie! (charge that is!!!)

From Recargo:

Several EVSE Level-1 NEMA 5-20, located along the outside walls adjacent to each stair well on each floor: ~3 along north wall and ~2 along south wall. Parking attendants fill from south to north, simply ask the attendant that you would like to park against the north wall and they will allow to go there

Last edited:
Also tempting to see if one could make it from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch to avoid the Harris Ranch potential bottleneck... Thoughts?

It is 230 miles from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch, with the last stretch uphill as you begin the climb up the Grapevine. Unless you are prepared to drive 55 mph the entire way, I don't believe you can make it on a single charge. And covering those 230 miles would take at least an hour longer driving 55 vs. 75, so you might as well charge at Harris and be sure you can make it to Tejon.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this at a Supercharger station, but I almost got ICE'd twice at the Tejon Ranch Supercharger location during the holidays. On the drive down to SoCal, I pulled up and of the four functioning charging spots only one was accessible. This was due to someone with a Toyota pickup with a trailer full of ATVs parked perpendicular to three of the spots. Fortunately he left before another Model S showed up. On the way back to NorCal, once again three of the spots were blocked by a RV. Fortunately there were a few people in the RV, so they could be asked to move it. The main reason they both parked the way they did is the surrounding parking lots were packed, and there really isn't any place to park RVs or pickups with trailers. It doesn't justify them blocking three of the four spots, but the general public does not understand that these Supercharger stations are our only "refueling" stops. I think one thing Tesla could do is paint a large striped "No Parking - EV Charging Station" area in front of the Supercharger station, or something along those lines. So that way people that see the empty spots don't assume they are just parking spots. So many challenges when it comes to charging at public stations when we're still at the start of hopefully an ever growing era of electric vehicles.

It is 230 miles from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch, with the last stretch uphill as you begin the climb up the Grapevine. Unless you are prepared to drive 55 mph the entire way, I don't believe you can make it on a single charge. And covering those 230 miles would take at least an hour longer driving 55 vs. 75, so you might as well charge at Harris and be sure you can make it to Tejon.

1 hour longer at 55 is still better than a 2 hour wait for charging at Harris Ranch, as was recently reported. Until they add spots, Harris Ranch is a gamble when it comes to elapsed time.

1 hour longer at 55 is still better than a 2 hour wait for charging at Harris Ranch, as was recently reported. Until they add spots, Harris Ranch is a gamble when it comes to elapsed time.

Just curious. Has anyone successfully skipped the Harris Ranch supercharger and made it from Gilroy to Tejon Ranch or vice versa without an intervening charge?

Having experienced the anxiety associated with arriving at a supercharger with only 1 mile left on the battery, I'd rather gamble on waiting for a supercharger than waiting for a flatbed tow truck. :biggrin:

I took a trip San Jose - L.A. this weekend, and driving down late Friday night got to Harris Ranch with the supercharger busy. However, they have put a Model S plug on an old Roadster charger that you can use while you wait. So I did that, getting about 208V/68A (odd combo?) at about 32 mph. Since I have twin chargers I was expecting more.

Anyway, after about 10 min the owner came out to check on his car, we chatted, he wanted another 10 min, which was fine by us. As they were getting ready to leave, a third Model S pulls up. This was a TM employee taking out a company car for a weekend. Anyway, we all happily chat for a while and it's all cozy. I grabbed the supercharger for 30 min while the Tesla employee takes the slow charger and heads to the restaurant. I call him on his cell phone as we are getting ready to leave and we say bye (after he shows off the beta mobile app...).

Naturally there was a happy reunion of the three of us in Tejon Ranch a few hours later, and with six spots everybody got what they wanted. :)

L.A. by the way, is a wasteland when it comes to chargers. No hotels had even level 1 on offer. We ended up going to (the carefully hidden :mad:) supercharger at Hawthorne twice. Six spots, but four were non-operational and one was... EV'd(?) by a parked non-charging Tesla owned Model S. Fortunately the last one worked.

Going back Monday I charged at Hawthorne (scoping out a Model X mule and some rockets), quick stop at friends in Pasadena, then charged at Tejon and Harris without competition... I mean, companions. Skipped Gilroy both ways and arrived home with 53 miles left. Plugged in with my 14-50, took 7 hrs to fill up (I think the superchargers are magical).

Any idea when the 120kW and "flatter" charging curve will be implemented in many of the superchargers? On my recent road trip down south last week, I noticed that the charge rate would slow to ~50% (45kW) as I get to ~75% charge. This would be fine except that it already starts slowing down (~180A instead of 260A) at 50% charge.